BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

Football wins.

Oh, yeah - Fergie. You've got one of the world's most skilful wingers on your books. You might want to try playing him on the wing and letting him play his game. Premier League trophy or not.

United play excellent football and started brightly, they simply didn't recover from the early goal and never did anything to knock Barcelona out of their stride once it happened, but those two sides could play open football games 100 times and they'd probably split them. Two great sides and to see that number of really quality players on show was great. Why people are using it as an opportunity to knock football, English football in particular, or United is a bit beyond me.

Oh, yeah - Rover6. He's pretty good when it comes to managing football sides. He might want to keep what he's doing that allows them to win the league each year, a cup or two on top of that and get far in, if not win, the champions league.

Hopefully quite a few Prem managers learnt from watching that game.

Incidentally Evra had a stinker last night- where was he for that first goal?

Ferguson will be smarting knowing Hiddinck was way better than him in handling Barca.

United play excellent football and started brightly, they simply didn't recover from the early goal and never did anything to knock Barcelona out of their stride once it happened, but those two sides could play open football games 100 times and they'd probably split them. Two great sides and to see that number of really quality players on show was great. Why people are using it as an opportunity to knock football, English football in particular, or United is a bit beyond me.

Oh, yeah - Rover6. He's pretty good when it comes to managing football sides. He might want to keep what he's doing that allows them to win the league each year, a cup or two on top of that and get far in, if not win, the champions league.

Good post. There's some strange reactions to this game this morning though, it's like people care more about having a dig at Fergie and United than anything else, i know there's a tribal nature to the game in this country but to try and act like you know more about football than a man who has won.

St. Mirren (1974–1978)

Scottish First Division: 1976-77

Aberdeen (1978–1986)

Scottish Premier Division: 1979-80, 1983-84, 1984-85

Scottish Cup: 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86

Scottish League Cup: 1985-86

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1982–83

UEFA Super Cup: 1983

Manchester United (1986–present)

Premier League: 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09

FA Cup: 1989–90, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04

League Cup: 1991–92, 2005–06, 2008–09

FA Charity/Community Shield: 1990*, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008

UEFA Champions League: 1998–99, 2007–08

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1990–91

UEFA Super Cup: 1991

Intercontinental Cup: 1999

FIFA Club World Cup: 2008

Is bizarre to say the least, hate the man all you want, but for clueless journalists and some posters on a message board to try and act like they know better is embarrassing.

Hopefully this could be the end of that annoying champions of england champions of europe song

Still might hear that song Tom, they will just have to erase the champions of Europe bit hahaha

Fergie got it all wrong.

He should have put his tallest center half up top. Packed his midfield with sub standard and slow players. 5 preferably. Put 4 at the back and hope to god he didn't concede. Whilst relying on set pieces and the battering ram center half turned striker to provide flick ons.

Seems perfectly logical to me. I just can't understand why this approach has never been thought of. :rolleyes:

Fergie got it all wrong.

He should have put his tallest center half up top. Packed his midfield with sub standard and slow players. 5 preferably. Put 4 at the back and hope to god he didn't concede. Whilst relying on set pieces and the battering ram center half turned striker to provide flick ons.

Seems perfectly logical to me. I just can't understand why this approach has never been thought of. :rolleyes:

I wonder what line up Ferguson would go with if Rooney ronaldo tevez Hargreaves giggs and Carrick were all unavailable against Barca.

Don't know why you all find Barcelona any less annoying than United. Personally I dislike the two equally, Barcelona fans tend to be the same glory hunting bunch who know nothing about football and think less of clubs because they don't manage to play "real" football. The whole more than a club attitude is fine when you're talking to a true supporter (which there are few of), but when it's some a$$hole from who knows where it's as annoying as any fan can get. I'm sure it's not as bad for most of you as you are in England, but on the continent I find Barcelona fans to be the worst around.

They got outplayed and targeting someone like Puyol is a double edged sword, he's pretty experienced and no mug. Let's be honest, after 9 minutes they were totally outplayed, they didn't have the ball for 80% of the time and NO ONE showed at all.

All that money and no inspiration!!

Anyway, it will give them a taste of their own medicine in days gone by, and let's be honest...

Both Geordies and Cockneys crying in the space of 4 days can't be all that bad can it LOL

N.B. The best team won, thankyou norwegian ref.

Not such a 'victory for football' when you remember that Barcelona were only in the final because a dodgy ref robbed Chelsea. The way United played last night, this should have been Hiddink's year.

Chelsea made Barcelona look a poor side over 180 minutes. Not for the first time Ferguson has been exposed tactically.

Managing the same side for 23 years, thats going to happen from time to time.

Good post. There's some strange reactions to this game this morning though, it's like people care more about having a dig at Fergie and United than anything else, i know there's a tribal nature to the game in this country but to try and act like you know more about football than a man who has won.

St. Mirren (1974–1978)

Scottish First Division: 1976-77

Aberdeen (1978–1986)

Scottish Premier Division: 1979-80, 1983-84, 1984-85

Scottish Cup: 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86

Scottish League Cup: 1985-86

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1982–83

UEFA Super Cup: 1983

Manchester United (1986–present)

Premier League: 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09

FA Cup: 1989–90, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04

League Cup: 1991–92, 2005–06, 2008–09

FA Charity/Community Shield: 1990*, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008

UEFA Champions League: 1998–99, 2007–08

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1990–91

UEFA Super Cup: 1991

Intercontinental Cup: 1999

FIFA Club World Cup: 2008

Is bizarre to say the least, hate the man all you want, but for clueless journalists and some posters on a message board to try and act like they know better is embarrassing.

People forget that Sir Alex also managed at a World Cup finals. He's done it all.

Not such a 'victory for football' when you remember that Barcelona were only in the final because a dodgy ref robbed Chelsea. The way United played last night, this should have been Hiddink's year.

Those of you who are still banging on about the Norwegian ref ought to ge out a bit more. And if a bit agrophobic, then at least watch that game again. Whoever had lost could have blamed the ref - he was rubbish not biased. Chelsea were at home in the semi final of the Champions against 10 men and they bew it. THAT wasn't the ref's fault, it was theirs.

Both Geordies and Cockneys crying in the space of 4 days can't be all that bad can it LOL

I'd love a hat trick.... Coyle to Celtic would make my year!

As for the game............ Utd's big players didn't turn up. VDS never caught a ball all night without dropping it first. The midget Messi scored with a far post header! Carrick is over rated and the front two stars were played out of position. CF on the wing and a winger at CF. :wacko: Capello would be absolutely slaughtered by the press and media if he played Rooney on the wing for England!

In a nutshell Fergie screwed up. :rover:

btwe JW must be tearing his hair out. All the initiatives he's dreamt up to get folk in from whalley and audley ranges and a bus load turn up in Rome! They must have a doozy of a prayer room there. :rolleyes:

Edited by thenodrog

Well that was a surprise game. United where awful once that first goal went in was it 2 on 5 and Barca stroll through, I was very surprised by the line-up but he must have had his reasons.

Ronaldo should have been up against Slyvinho, Rooney where he's happy and tevez against Puyol. I still can't believe how weak United flanks where right side was non-exsistent and they rarely targetted Slyvinho. Andersson, well I'd have put the little scrapper in there Scholes, at present I don't see andersson making the grade a his replacement. Just like us for most of this season United offered no protection to the back four who got dragged all over the place.

They gave Messi so much time and space and had no specific marker for him, he drifted in and out from the flank and they never really passed him over.

United lacked drive and where as mobile as a broken car, and there world class defence obviously stayed home to watch the game as they didn't turn up.

Hats off to PEP GUARDIOLA first season and the best season ever in La liga by any spainish team, high standards indeed.

Barca where good last night but they have been much better than that this season, personally I'd say united lost it themselves thats one of worst performances of their season. They are normally so much more fluid with great interchange but last night nothing. If I was a united player last night I would have delayed going back into the dressing room till the last minute, I wonder who got a cup kicked at them last night.

With reference to the chelsea and hiddink tactically being better remember how big and physhically strong chelsea are as a team compared to united.

Edited by Majiball

I wasn't surprised. For all the upfront hype the two best players in the world are Iniesta and Xavi. Leave them alone and you're dead. Which is what the red scum did.

Some points

- Fergie has relied on an outstanding core youth product for 20 years - the golden generation - and it has caught up with him at last. Giggs looks old and Scholes even older (should have started though)

- His awful buys are often covered up by this 20 year old core.

- His tactics are suspect

- Just how bad was Anderson?

Chelsea have a powerhouse of a midfield when they are fit and would have undone these teams (ref permitting). They have 3 -4 ball winners and Utd had none. Big spend coming up followed by (you can't buy the title)

But if the President of FIFA want's you to loose maybe it's time to give it up.

I'd love a hat trick.... Coyle to Celtic would make my year!

As for the game............ Utd's big players didn't turn up. VDS never caught a ball all night without dropping it first. The midget Messi scored with a far post header! Carrick is over rated and the front two stars were played out of position. CF on the wing and a winger at CF. :wacko: Capello would be absolutely slaughtered by the press and media if he played Rooney on the wing for England!

In a nutshell Fergie screwed up. :rover:

btwe JW must be tearing his hair out. All the initiatives he's dreamt up to get folk in from whalley and audley ranges and a bus load turn up in Rome! They must have a doozy of a prayer room there. :rolleyes:

Oh I think Coyle's off. You got 'I'm going on holiday as Burnley manager' not 'get stuffed I'm having a bash at the Prem.' He will probably come back as Celtic manager though.

- Fergie has relied on an outstanding core youth product for 20 years - the golden generation - and it has caught up with him at last. Giggs looks old and Scholes even older (should have started though)

Im not up Utd's backside but you can hardly question Fergusons tactics and signings. Theyve just won 4 trophys this season and finished runners up in the champions league and semis in the FA cup. Won the league and champs league last season. Yet hes got crap tactics because they lost to an outstanding Barca team?

And Rooney, Ronaldo, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra and Van Der Sar were crap signings?

Edited by benhben

Some points

Thats possibly the stupidest post I have read on this messageboard. How many trophies have Man Utd won? With only two of that "golden generation" getting any playing time at all, and then mostly from the subs bench. Daft.

The thing that has kept the Utd steamroller going is the awesome amount of money they genrate from the CL and their marketing/stadium, combined with a fantastic manager in Ferguson. I hate the monotony of it. They are weak in some areas though, especially if they get injuries. But no doubt Fergie will buy to cover those areas and it will be the same next year.

If United had taken one of their early chances, it might have been a different game. However, once they went behind they were chasing shadows all night and given a footballing lesson.

Still, there was an apologist for SSN today, saying that Man. Utd "as ever" were gracious in defeat, and perhaps the extra nine games of the season finally took its toll on their performance in Rome. Yes, because I'm sure this pinnacle game - the biggest game in some of their careers - was conveniently one too many. :rolleyes: Oh, and the humidity played its part, as well...apparently.

Edited by Topman

Turns out United aren't as good when the ref isn't giving them everything...

A dam good ref,ive seen him in a few games he never has a bad un.the only reason i noticed him he's a spitting image of al pacino :rolleyes:

I'd still argue that. That isn't to say he wouldn't be world class still, but I just don't think he would be AS good. I think if Ronaldo went to Spain he would look a lot better, same for a lot of the more technically gifted players who have been in the premiership. I don't think Henry would still be as relevant in this league as he is in La Liga, but then I think Tevez, Nani, Anderson or Berbatov would look even better in Spain. Each league asks something slightly different of players, the very best in the world will look good everywhere (Messi, Ronaldo, etc), but that doesn't mean that there aren't leagues where they will be more effective. There's no way that a team in England would ever have the +70ish goal difference that Barcelona have, it is an indication of how their open style of play leads goals being scored and also allows a great side to dominate far more easily than in England. Messi would be a fantastic player anywhere in the world, but the slower pace and less physical nature of the Spanish game makes his life a bit easier.

Eddie- Messi is the best player in the World. Stop trying to argue that he isn't.

He would shine in any league in the world due to his footballing genius. Utd supposed world-class defence couldn’t get near him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.