BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

Poor refereeing ruined the game in a way, but it did not favour Barcelona anything more than Arsenal.

The red card was okay, as soon as his whistle had gone, but it really shouldn't have. 1-0 Barca and yellow card for Lehmann would be a better option - instead Eboue dived and should've had his second yellow, was given a freekick which Henry crossed for Campbell to head behind Victor.

To sum up, Lehmann should've gotten a yellow, Eboue should've gotten the red, and Barca should've been 1-0 up ! smile.gif (obviously Eboue might not have gotten the opportunity to dive if Giuly's goal had counted)

Henry and Ljungberg both had good opportunities to secure the win, instead Barca was allowed to continue their five-a-side twenty yards from Arsenal's goal. I find it odd that Arsenal didn't have a man upfront to chase Marquez and Puyol more, you can't defend like that for 35 minutes. (even though I almost believed they'd make it for a while there..)

Not a good night for fellow Norwegian Terje Hauge and his two assistants, not a very good night for the tad overrated Ronaldinho, and not a good night for Robert Pires - who was taken off in his last game for Arsenal because of a foul made by a teammate.

Edited by herbergeehh

Good game, but Lehmann had to go once the ref had blown up for a foul. After the Thierry interview I don't think that he'l be a Gooner next season...Barca awaits. Ronaldinho didn't have his best game, but nobody can say that the guy's overated. All match n*** head Arsenal fans were going "and he's supposed to be the best player in the world"...uh yes he is mate. They only need to look back at the Madrid game at the Bernabeau earlier in the year for confirmation of this. Finally I thought that Larsson looked quality when he came on-setting up both goals...are you sure you want to retire in Sweden Henrik? wink.gif

If Lehmann (who is a pillock prone to stupid lapses IMO) hadn't made that challenge then there was no argument about the red card.

If you have a goalie like that he drops clangers and he's just done that in the biggest game he will probably ever play in.

If another player had put a challenge in like that on him he'd have gone ballistic and we've all seen him put in mega hissy fits for the most trivial of challenges.

It's a pity he got sent off, however, as I've been buzzing all day thinking about this game and it was ruined.

I know that the role of a ref is very hard, but on tonights show, the ref wrecked a very good game.

In any important decsion the top refs wait a second or two to see what happens etc, this one did not.

also some of the booking were wrong and some players got away with no booking at all.

and we think our refs are bad wink.gif

Edited by des

I'm not saying he's not a fantastic player, but if you had put him in a league with better organized defences, and perhaps more cynisicm in taking players out of the game - like the Serie A - I would think he would struggle a whole lot more. I guess Zinedine Zidane is a decent example.. As I said, a fantastic player and a great rolemodel, but he's not that far ahead of the other stars - in my opinion.

You mention the Real game, a fine example of horrible defending. (of course also a fair bit of skill from Ronaldinho)

As I said, I think he's a fantastic player and great fun to watch, overrated was the wrong word to use..

Edited by herbergeehh

Maybe I just don't know the rules, but I just cannot comprehend the logic behind bringing the ball back after the foul and sending Lehman off. It's not as if Arsenal players stopped running because the ref blew his whistle, so it wasn't an advantage to Arsenal and disallowing a goal was by no means giving Barcelona the advantage. If the foul was so bad then surely the ref should have allowed the goal and then sent Lehman off...

That would have been wrong in my opinion, a yellow card would suffice if Giuly had scored. The rule is built around cynical fouls to take away scoring opportunities, the foul itself wasn't more than a yellow. If Giuly had scored, Lehmann wouldn't have taken away the opportunity, and should therefore not have been sent off either.

It's pitiful that - even on a usually balanced and sensible football discussion forum such as this - the match officials are taking the brunt of negative comment.

Terry Henry joined the party, freely slating the match officials in this showpiece final in his post match interview. Henry himself - when he watches the video - should replace his bitterness towards officials with self criticism.

Crucial chances were missed - and always will be. Henry creates so many chances for himself that he is allowed to miss a few. Those misses are mistakes by Henry. He has no right to slate the ref at the end of this game - at least the ref was putting some effort in.

With 10 mins to go, with desperate Arsenal attacks being reliant on long balls, Henry never moved from a central position - never chased, never harried, never cared!! He was wearing the armband FFS! Leave the refs alone and **** off to wherever you want to play.

Lehman's (?sp) sending off was totally deserved, and when you look at the game objectively there is no argument about which team deserves to be Champions of Europe.

The lunatic goalie and the wantaway captain have cost Arsenal. It's almost a shame that Spurs let them in to the Champs League for next season, but on the plus side they will be screwed when the spine of their team isn't there any more.

Wantaway Terry will have gone, Dennis the Menace will have retired, Pires the puff won't perform, Sol the unbalanced will shoot his last bolt at the WC .... Loony Lehman is probably already in rehab ....

I'd rather be supporting Rovers, to be sure ......

Edited by Tris

Sober as can be. The way he plays football and the techniqal stuff he pulls off is somewhat unique, but that aside I think there's a few players on the same level.

408619[/snapback]

blink.gif

So the way he tore apart probably the best defence in Europe (Chelsea) earlier this year doesn't count for much then?

How is Zidane your example? Zidane was years above anyone when he played for Juve.

Get off the substances mate

Crucial chances were missed - and always will be.  Henry creates so many chances for himself that he is allowed to miss a few.  Those misses are mistakes by Henry.  He has no right to slate the ref at the end of this game - at least the ref was putting some effort in.

With 10 mins to go, with desperate Arsenal attacks being reliant on long balls, Henry never moved from a central position - never chased, never harried, never cared!!  He was wearing the armband FFS!  Leave the refs alone and **** off to wherever you want to play.

I thought Henry ran his socks off. Should have buried those chances but you can't accuse him of lack of effort.

I'm not saying he's not a fantastic player, but if you had put him in a league with better organized defences, and perhaps more cynisicm in taking players out of the game - like the Serie A - I would think he would struggle a whole lot more. I guess Zinedine Zidane is a decent example.. As I said, a fantastic player and a great rolemodel, but he's not that far ahead of the other stars - in my opinion.

408612[/snapback]

Complete Moron.

Enough Said.

You wouldn't happen to be a referee would you herbergeehh?

It's pitiful that - even on a usually balanced and sensible football discussion forum such as this - the match officials are taking the brunt of negative comment.

Terry Henry joined the party, freely slating the match officials in this showpiece final in his post match interview.  Henry himself - when he watches the video - should replace his bitterness towards officials with self criticism.

Crucial chances were missed - and always will be.  Henry creates so many chances for himself that he is allowed to miss a few.  Those misses are mistakes by Henry.  He has no right to slate the ref at the end of this game - at least the ref was putting some effort in.

With 10 mins to go, with desperate Arsenal attacks being reliant on long balls, Henry never moved from a central position - never chased, never harried, never cared!!  He was wearing the armband FFS!  Leave the refs alone and **** off to wherever you want to play.

Lehman's (?sp) sending off was totally deserved, and when you look at the game objectively there is no argument about which team deserves to be Champions of Europe.

The lunatic goalie and the wantaway captain have cost Arsenal.  It's almost a shame that Spurs let them in to the Champs League for next season, but on the plus side they will be screwed when the spine of their team isn't there any more.

Wantaway Terry will have gone, Dennis the Menace will have retired, Pires the puff won't perform, Sol the unbalanced will shoot his last bolt at the WC .... Loony Lehman is probably already in rehab ....

I'd rather be supporting Rovers, to be sure ......

408638[/snapback]

One of the most honest interviews I've ever seen. Not quite sure which game you were watching, Tris, but once Lehman was dismissed, Henry, was kicked off the park. When we try that (FA cup semi final) we're villans, but when, Barca, try that it's brushed over - double standards.

As for his lack of workrate during the last ten minutes, well it's the catch twenty two situation there. He'd led the line admirably all night with little support from his midfield and, in my opinion, was carrying a knock from an earlier challenge in the game (ironically one of the few that weren't cynical attempts to injure him). Now as, Wenger, do you take your best player off the pitch, when we're all fully aware what he can do given the chance, or do you replace him with an inexperienced youngster who will defend from the front for ten minutes? Not a decision I'd like to make.

I'd also put money on him staying at, L'Arse, but that's just a hunch wink.gif

Edited by Exiled_Rover

What goes around, comes around. Jens Lehmann is a cheat, always has been, always will be. He spends his time feigning injury, complaining, ranting and raving etc. I haven't seen the incident but when I heard he'd been sent off my first reaction was it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. If you behave in a certain way, eventually it comes back to haunt you.

As for the game? Well I only saw 15-20 minutes as I was working but those minutes looked pretty good to me, so I'm not sure the red card ruined the game. There seem to be two views, a goal should have been allowed plus a red or yellow or a red and a free-kick. Most of the commentators, especially the ITV dream team, were so biased they found it impossible to accept the referee's decision,whichever it might have been. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come in June, perhaps it will be simpler to turn the sound off.

Arsenal were lucky that the goal wasn't given in addition to Lehman being sent off. Arsenal's goal was the result of a dive leading to the freekick.

So no complaints please.

Sick of hearing the Arsenal obsessed media banging on day after day.

When we won the league the coverage in the media lasted about ten minutes.

Not sure why everybody was so underwhelmed by Ronaldinho, while not spectacular he still caused Arsenal more problems than Henry did at the other end.

The array of talent Barca have is breathtaking, if they get henry as well then that is just taking the wee. If I was Thierry I would be looking at that side and thinking 'I'm not going to be the daddy in that side', rather one of a vertiable collection of footballing superstars. I think Henry likes being the biggest fish.

Plus he didn't look like he was too keen on the treatment dealt out by his potential collegues.

I can't quite see him in different colours.

ps. For England the performances of Campbell and Cole were massively encouraging. Along with Gerrard and Beckham they seem to be hitting form just at the right time...

the sending off was harsh, don't like the german but the ref should of played advantage and it would of been 11 vs 11.

the ref didn't have control all game, even the arsenal goal wasn't a free kick outside the box and the diving all game was unbelevible.

3rd eye: did anyone see the barca sub goalie slip and fall over in a heap on the platform when they left the stage with the cup???

henry moaning at the end of game interview, if he was tired he should of been subbed but he was to selfish to go off for some fresh legs and wenger was probably to scared to take him off as he would of walked off down the tunnel and would leave arsenal for sure. he is the captain too but if your out of gas your not helping your team, it's then 11 vs 9.

The sending off wasn't harsh at all, He grabbed the blokes foot outside the area.... how the hell can a sending off be harsh in those circumstances.

Tris, I pretty much agree with you apart from your comments regarding Henry. I think in the last 10 minutes his legs were completely gone. He ran every inch of the pitch in the first hour and was just exhausted.

Arsenals goal did come from a dive by Eboue though so Arsenal fans can't moan about Barca diving if their own team are doing it.

I thought the ref was ok, the only one thing I would have said is that a couple of the challenges he let go may have warrented a yellow card, but then we'd all be sat here saying that he was card happy... can't win!!

I don't think Henry will go to Barca now - I think he saw last night that Barca are a bunch of divers who havent got any sense of good sportsmanship.

The way that Puyol and Ronaldihno (near the corner flag) threw themselves to the ground was pathetic.

The overall feeling from last night's game was that I am now very vary of England getting cheated out of the World Cup this year, maybe by a bad ref decision or opponent diving... It just always seems to be English teams getting the worst of it against Johnny Foreigner

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.