BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Official U.s. National Team Thread

Philly Rover ®

I concur that this was a disappointing showing for most of the US players.

Keller had nothing to do except a shot he had no chance on in 2nd half stoppage time.

Onyewu looks like a Champions League player and I think the most compelling time he will have in the world cup is watching Italian forward go flying after running by him.

Cherundolo (Bolton target), while short, played well until his gaffe at the end, and was one of the few bright spots in the first half, especially for his pace and desire to move up the pitch

Pope was anonymous

Gibbs looked like he isn't made to be playing left back, and yet, still is ages better than Regis ever was.

In the MF

Reyna didn't look impressive to me before he was injured. Hopefully he's OK, but I wonder if people may realize he may have a greater impact for this team coming on as a sub than being a starter

Beasley looked better on defense than he did on offense - never seemed to fully link up with the other offensive players

O'Brien - the best playmaker (with Cherundolo) in the first half, and clearly not match fit. His pace is 2 or even 3 rungs below where it needs to be for a WC. Do you start him or bring him in?

Mastroeni was wonderful coming in for Reyna. Played the holding role well, linked up both ways with his passes, and made some nice runs. Other than fitness for O'Brien, I wondered why he wasn't starting this match.

Convey - I've admittedly been a fan of his since day 1 at DC United, because I saw what he could do if he had the chance to showcase his talent and speed on the pitch. He lacked the speed of his teammates at DC, but was immense yesterday. Not only showed his ability to have an impact but to start to take control. Unlucky on the FK at the end.

Dempsey - gave a spark and some spunk when he came in. I can't wait to see him next month.

Dononvan - Landon who? Simply a poor match for him, and indicative of his club form of late where he's supposed to eb the hope and the hero and then doesn't deliver. Scuffed his chances in both halves, and wasn't much of an offensive impact until Convey created some space in the second. Apparently didn't like being double and triple teamed, I can't imagine why.

Wolff - I saw someone running out there and that was about it. no further comment

McBride - good effort. showed he's used to playing against height and I thought did a good job, given the fact he's a target forward. Shame he didn't come to Rovers - he could do so much better than Kuqi in the same role

Ching - was out there for a few minutes and that's about it

EJ - somewhere between Donovan and Wolff - shoulda made that header on target

man of the match really goes to the entire morocco defense - they were composed against a more talented side, had better speed and determination to win the loose balls, and were not outplayed in the air

Next match, I think we go 4-3-3 again

goalie (probably Hahnemann and Howard splitting a half)

Cherundolo Pope/Gibbs Onyweu Lewis

Mastroeni O'Brien/Beasley

Donovan

Dempsey Convey

McBride

if Beasley doesn't start, look for him to possibly play on the right

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't get the chance to catch the game, so thanks for the recap, rebelzero. Reyna's MRI came back negative today, so hopefully he'll be healthy when June 12th rolls around.

Edited by Philly Rover ®

I watched it.. much better game, better to watch for sure.

Starting lineup

Howard

Albright Onyewu Conrad Bocanegra

Dempsey Olsen Convey

Wolff

Ching Johnson

Much younger side than previously, but I hope Arena chooses youth over experience this summer, at least for some positions. The younger players are much more talented..

Howard had a solid game, made one terrific save from a free kick and came out to collect a couple of crosses. Although I thought he could have dealt with a long range shot better.. he didn't tip it over or catch it, but knocked it to the side, still in play. Luckily we were there to clear.

Our backline seemed solid, but Albright and Bocanegra seemed to get burned a few times on the sides. Bocanegra is slow, and he kind of sucks at going forward, definitely not a natural left back. His sending off was not derserved.. the ref was cardhappy all game. Albright did better going forward.

Olsen had an okay game.. I guess for his job (break up plays) he did well, but didn't make himself stand out compared to Mastroeni. Dempsey was a little quieter than I expected, but was still a threat, and of course scored a very nice diving header. Convey was the deserved man of the match, terrorized the Venezuelans with his running, and had excellent crosses and corners. Should start for Beasley every time. My only worry is that better defenses will find him out...

Wolff is frustrating. He shows flashes of brilliance, but can never pull anything all the way off. He got put through on goal at one point, and then hit the weakest left foot shot ever. He's in no place to displace Landon or to start as a striker.

I was yelling at Ching at the beginning because I thought he was awful. I think of Ching like I think of Kuqi or Heskey. I have to say though.. although his overall play was rather crappy, he was in the right place at the right time on two different occasions (one was a goal, one went over the bar), and thats what makes a decent striker. I don't like him, but he scored. Johnson was good, didn't really have any scoring oppurtunities, but crossed for Dempsey to score after Landon put him through. Start him with McBride please.

Landon did well when he came on, Beasley and Lewis did not have any oppurtunities to impress. Then they gave Bradley his first cap in the last two minutes.

Overall, decent game, good support. Venezuela were kind of crap though, so don't think we're world beaters yet..

Disagree about Howard, I thought he was shaky and got caught off his line a couple of times. If we were playing any teams in our group he would have paid for it.

Convey was spectacular and I'm looking forward to the possibility of he and Lewis down the left, moving DMB over to the right. All Prem fans will get to see how good he is next season.

Not a bad performance in the final match against Latvia last night: a 1-0 win that could (and probably should) have been a lot more.

American, I'm beginning to agree that Convey deserves a spot in the starting XI... having him on one flank and Beasley on the other gives the U.S. some real width, plus Cherundolo and Lewis who love to raid up the flanks. I'm beginning to envision a June 12th formation of:

--------------------Keller--------------------

Cherundolo---Pope---Onyewu---Lewis

---------Reyna---------Mastroeni---------

--Beasley------Donovan------Convey--

-------------------McBride-------------------

Subs: Hahnemann, Conrad, O'Brien, Johnson, Wolff

It pains me to relegate John O'Brien to the bench; but I don't know if we can afford to start two forwards against the Czechs or Italians, and with just McBride up front, we'll need some attacking impetus in midfield. A five-man midfield including DMB, Donovan and Convey provides plenty of support for McBride, and Reyna and Mastroeni are more than capable of anchoring things and breaking up the onslaught of Rosicky and Nedved. (And if Reyna can't go, I feel more than confident slotting O'Brien in there for him).

As for yesterday's match... the defense was a little shaky, but I'll feel better once Onyewu is back in the lineup. Lewis and Cherundolo will have their work cut out for them, but they've looked good thus far. Donovan yesterday--for me at least--was better than I've seen him in awhile, threading through balls to Beasley and EJ, taking people on, and tracking back defensively to disrupt some Lativan counterattacks. McBride did yeoman's work as always, and I think Johnson looked pretty good for a change as well, holding the ball up extremely well and getting himself into dangerous positions.

One thing's for sure: Arena has some selection issues on his hands for the XI he'll trot out against the Czechs.

Edited by Philly Rover ®

I agree with everything you've said Philly, and I really like your suggested line up. Except... I don't know why Beasley starts... I'll admit that I've only really started watching the US this year (Asia doesn't really have decent coverage of the US team), but I've watched him four or five times now, and he never impresses me as an offensive player. He does a decent job defending, but as a wide man I expected him to make use of his pace (isn't he supposed to be lightning quick?) to attempt to beat a man every now and then. He doesn't seem to have the same technical ability/confidence as Convey, Donovan, Dempsey etc. So I'm still undecided about him.

Johnson must have been so frustrated last night, he deserved a goal for the work he did up front, just wasn't to be. And DANG did you see that lump on McBride's head?!

The Latvians played pretty rough, glad no one got injured...

I thought Johnson was offsides WAY too much. If he could control that he'd be brilliant. Also thought Donovan was good in the first half, but disappeared for a long stretch in the second.

Roll on Gelsenkirchen!

Im not convinced with Lewis at left back, i think he is too attacking. A coupla times when ive watched him out there, he has seemed a bit dodgy, much better at left wing. However we have got Convey out there. As for the rest of the team i pretty much agree with that. Although, i would like to see John O'B in the team if possible, he has good european experience. Good to see a win against Latvia, although we must be more clinicle up front.

Role on the Czechs :rover:

Will Dempsey be starting for the USA? Ive seen him on Channel5 a few times and he looks a brilliant player, anyone think hes good enough for the prem?

Maybe start against certain teams? Otherwise no. Good super sub. Plays lots of positions and puts himself about. Prem? Give it a bit more time. Needs some seasoning. He does have a knack: the ball seems to find him...

Edited by jkritchey

He's in the right place at the right time. I could see him with a relegation battler, but I think definitely he'll be Prem class in the next 2 years or so.

What's happened to Adu , American ? Was he nowhere near making the squad ?

If I may jump in, I'm a DC United Supporter and have seen almost every minute of his play this young season.

Freddy has started all but one game this year and has been impressive. He's tracking back well defensively, setting up a number of goals, and breaking ankles when marked one v one. His free kicks have been generally dangerous, and he's getting more of them. He hasn't scored, but it seems to me when he gets the cover off the goal, he will fill it.

HOWEVER

Freddy just turned 17 (Like, last week). While he appears bigger and stronger than last year, he's still too physically immature, particularly in a rough league like MLS. He also needs to improve his work rate, and his right foot. He does NOT have the blazing foot speed some thought he had. He can burst, but not sprint. He's been used on both wings this season, and spent a game in the center, holding his own.

Freddy has unique vision and touch for an American teenager but is not yet useful to an International team. He would also struggle with any level of British teams, because of the phsicality. On the other hand, he could contribute in Spain or Holland, where they seem to give you a bit more room. After his 18th birthday.

Edited by jkritchey

Still 17 eh ? I saw him when he was 14 playing for the Yanks under 17 and he was a class above even amongst that lot . Hopefully he'll develop enough to play in the Euro leagues . No doubt many have been keeping an eye on him . Thanks for the update .

Still 17 eh ? I saw him when he was 14 playing for the Yanks under 17 and he was a class above even amongst that lot . Hopefully he'll develop enough to play in the Euro leagues . No doubt many have been keeping an eye on him . Thanks for the update .

About the size of Messi of Barca, or perhaps Walcott, but not yet as muscular as either. I'm not sure when most fans of CL level teams see him that they will be as impressed, but remember, it's the vision and trickery which we just don't see over here. (But will soon. I am becoming more impressed with the level of skill we're now seeing in the 15-17 year old high schoolers who have been playing for years.)

Edited by jkritchey

Oops, correction on my part. Freddy turns 17 today, June 2.

Don't consider that grumpy, he's been hearing that same criticism for 4 years now, but that same plan worked well in Korea, so why should it be criticized again?

Yeah I read those quotes too. Either he didn't get much sleep on the flight and he was really grumpy or his words look worse in text than they were in real life. I can imagine the "mocking" part about training being said with a huge smile, so who knows.

I don't think he's usually grumpy though...

Don't consider that grumpy, he's been hearing that same criticism for 4 years now, but that same plan worked well in Korea, so why should it be criticized again?

People aren't being critical simply by asking the question, it just isn't what most teams do so it is pretty obvious that you are going to be asked about it. I generally like the guy but he comes off looking like a prat from that.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.