BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Official Australian Squad Thread

Sydney Rovers

Here's the squad.

Goalkeepers: Ante Covic (Hammarby, Sweden), Zeljko Kalac (AC Milan, Italy), Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough, England)

Defenders: Michael Beauchamp (Central Coast Mariners), Stan Lazaridis (uncontracted), Mark Milligan (Sydney FC), Craig Moore (Newcastle United, England), Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers, England), Tony Popovic (Crystal Palace, England)

Midfielders: Marco Bresciano (Parma, Italy), Tim Cahill (Everton, England), Scott Chipperfield (FC Basel, Switzerland), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers, England), Vince Grella (Parma, Italy), Harry Kewell (Liverpool, England), Josip Skoko (Stoke City, England), Mile Sterjovski (FC Basel, Switzerland), Luke Wilkshire (Bristol, England)

Forwards: John Aloisi (Alaves, Spain), Josh Kennedy (Dynamo Dresden, Germany), Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, England).

Some surprises there especially Mark Milligan who's probably only there becuase Tony Vidmar had to pull out of the squad.

Edited by Sydney Rovers

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Scott McDonald had done enough for selection in the forwards

Dissapointed there was no room for L. Milicevic, McKain, Elrich, Brosque, Carney or Thwaite

Good balance though with Emerton and Chipperfield being able to play back on the left and right and Sterjovski up front or on the wing

I am quite worried about the central defenders without Vidmar but Neill did a sterling job there for the Uruguay qualifiers and Moore always performs for Australia.

I would have left Popovic out for Milicevic and Wilkshire out for Brosque or Carney

Strongest formation stands as this then

Schwarzer
           Neill           Moore
Emerton                         Lazaridis
      Culina    Cahill   Bresciano
Thompson                       Kewell     
                 Viduka

Looks a good side until you look at the defence. Shame for Vidmar as he has done everything to get to Germany, but he can't risk it with his heart really can he.

We'll beat Japan and Croatia. As for Brazil, I have a funny feeling in my bones that we'll get a 2-2 draw, or maybe that's just the curry I had for tea! Then I think that Czech Republic will absolutely hammer us in the 2nd round! rover.giftinykit.gif

Carney has been on the fringes, but our midfield has too many first choicers. Maybe we could use the Rooney clause and get him in there if Cahill isn't fit, but I think he'll walk over broken glass to get on that pitch in Kaiserslautern.

My tickets for the Croatia and Japan games came through on Monday this week and they're locked away in the safe till 8th June!! (I pick my Brazil ticket up the day before match day)

See you in Germany boys....Socceroos soc socceroos! Socceroos Socceroos, we've come to sh*g your women, we've come to drink your booze, Socceroos Socceroos, we've come to sh*g your women, we've come to drink your booze!!

Edited by steven

Arn't you guys a bit shagged if you play Emerton at full back? At wing back I thought he was okay, but at FB he is generally a liability, to put it mildly!

Some good players there, and midfielders who can score goals which is good.

But surely to do well it's going to come down to kewell, Cahill and Viduka having stormers? And the two former Leeds lads blow hot and cold to say the least!

tinykit.gif

Arn't you guys a bit shagged if you play Emerton at full back? At wing back I thought he was okay, but at FB he is generally a liability, to put it mildly!

But surely to do well it's going to come down to kewell, Cahill and Viduka having stormers? And the two former Leeds lads blow hot and cold to say the least!

406877[/snapback]

We'll make the 2nd round boys... rover.gif

406877[/snapback]

In normal circumstances I would agree with you, but under Guus he has played quite superbly in that position

Guus plays 2 central defenders with either 'wing back' dropping back for assistance depending on the side of the feild the attack is coming down.

His philosophy is always to have one more defender then attackers, 1 up front he will get Emerton and Lazaridis/Chipperfield to push forward though against Brazil with 3 attackers he will play a back four with Emerton possibly on the right wing with Neill dropping into the fullback position and Popovic/Beauchamp sitting next to Moore.

I think the midfield will stand up, he has defensive options in Grella and Skoko but the attacking midfield option is very strong with Kewell, Bresciano and Cahill with Culina performing very well currently at club and international level.

A lot will rest with Moore in defence but he always performs at international level, so I am confident we might get through to the second round.

My main issue with the team has always been upfront but Viduka, under Hiddink, can now at least play the target man role supplying the ball to his two support players in Kewell and Thompson.

Some of the players are ring-ins but the versatility in the squad is what I am impressed with half and half being able to play back and forward.

I didn't notice bfore either but he has gone for some guys with Bundesliga experience as well, no doubt a plus for conditions.

-------------Schwarzer

-----------Neill--------Moore

Emerton------------------Chipperfield

-------Cahill---Grella---Bresciano

Culina-------------------------Kewell

---------------Viduka

An adaption of Neekoy's team.

Culina to more to an attacking right. Surely you can't leave out Vince Grella....

Chipperfield at left back as hes been scoring some goals for Basel and can defenc, where Stan struggles to get a game these days and has been released.

Edited by emerton

-------------Schwarzer

-----------Neill--------Moore

Emerton------------------Chipperfield

-------Cahill---Grella---Bresciano

Culina-------------------------Kewell   

---------------Viduka

An adaption of Neekoy's team.

Culina to more to an attacking right. Surely you can't leave out Vince Grella....

Chipperfield at left back as hes been scoring some goals for Basel and can defenc, where Stan struggles to get a game these days and has been released.

407167[/snapback]

I think as a defensive option Grella will get the holding role but I think Culina as a third 'forward' lacks scoring ability

I thought Culina played well for us when he came from right midfield and put the ball through across the three attackers, I would hate to see if Viduka was holding the ball up for him and he couldn't put it in the back of the net something Thompson has been doing on a regular basis.

In saying all this though Guus is the master, I have going through with my mate on the team and he has certianly looked at the options.

He can play 3-4-3, 4-4-2, 4-3-3 and 4-5-1 without making changes to the starting line up such is the versatility. thumbs-up.gif

I think as a defensive option Grella will get the holding role but I think Culina as a third 'forward' lacks scoring ability

I thought Culina played well for us when he came from right midfield and put the ball through across the three attackers, I would hate to see if Viduka was holding the ball up for him and he couldn't put it in the back of the net something Thompson has been doing on a regular basis.

In saying all this though Guus is the master, I have going through with my mate on the team and he has certianly looked at the options.

He can play 3-4-3, 4-4-2, 4-3-3 and 4-5-1 without making changes to the starting line up such is the versatility. thumbs-up.gif

407171[/snapback]

I've just heard that there's a Late inclusion into the Aussie squad

Who's the skipper usually, Moore?

406954[/snapback]

Usually it is, but during the Uruguay games Mark Viduka was captain and I don't think that Guus will change this as it seemed to lift Viduka's game.

First game is CRUCIAL for both side(Australia / Japan)!

407170[/snapback]

It is as a result will set up up the teams for thier crucial games against Croatia.

It is as a result will set up up the teams for thier crucial games against Croatia.

407459[/snapback]

I chatted with Tita after L'pool game.

He said " The key is an Austarlian game. Croatia is good and strong team but we can work it out." , I agree with him.

---*Tita(Milton Queiroz Da Paixao), ex Brazilian national team player(30 cap). now Japanese National team's scout. He checked Neill, Emmo, Qwell at the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually it is, but during the Uruguay games Mark Viduka was captain and I don't think that Guus will change this as it seemed to lift Viduka's game.

Notwithstanding a certain initially-heartbreaking-but-ultimately-inconsequential penalty miss.

Heartbreaking to see Vidmar out. His tears in Montevideo was one of the most poignant moments in Australian football (I regard the Iran game as easily the most painful moment).

93,000 have been sold, capacity is 95,000. Great stadium the MCG (I though this was going to increase further? :unsure:)

Although I am not the most patriotic sort I still find it a bit embarassing that the Aussies will STILL have a bigger stadium than us after Wembley is built... I mean we are twice the size in terms of population, much bigger economy, blah blah blah

I would love to check the MCG out one day though. For footie are the fans very far away from the pitch, it being an oval and all?

Although I am not the most patriotic sort I still find it a bit embarassing that the Aussies will STILL have a bigger stadium than us after Wembley is built... I mean we are twice the size in terms of population, much bigger economy, blah blah blah

I would love to check the MCG out one day though. For footie are the fans very far away from the pitch, it being an oval and all?

Actually JNB, its closer to three times the population.

The MCG from the top tiers isn't bad.. still great atmosphere.

Unfortunately, I have only been for AFL and Cricket matches.. wasn't there for the famous Iran vs Aus encounter in 97'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.