BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Official Australian Squad Thread

Sydney Rovers

I'd tend to agree with DUR.

Football in my neck of the woods has always been popular at junior playing level. In my club we have 88 teams I think ranging from under 6's to over 45's 12/1300 players, and we are not the biggest club in our area. Some 14000 people in local government area play football, that's about 7% of the total population.

Where the code fails is holding on to the good 14- 17 year olds, they drift away to League or other things that take their fancy. That might be because there's nothing for them to aspire to. What we need now is a good state structure under the A league.

The Aussies getting to the WC has been a roaring success, and raised the profile of the code, it has just got to be capitalised on.

As an afterthought, it's interesting to note that the bloke in charge, John O'Neill was in charge of the Australian Rugby Union, and transformed that code from one wallowing in debt to one that took on League in the professional era.

The other thing that football has got rid of is the "ethnic" names of the football clubs, that has helped.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd tend to agree with DUR.

Football in my neck of the woods has always been popular at junior playing level. In my club we have 88 teams I think ranging from under 6's to over 45's 12/1300 players, and we are not the biggest club in our area. Some 14000 people in local government area play football, that's about 7% of the total population.

Where the code fails is holding on to the good 14- 17 year olds, they drift away to League or other things that take their fancy. That might be because there's nothing for them to aspire to. What we need now is a good state structure under the A league.

The Aussies getting to the WC has been a roaring success, and raised the profile of the code, it has just got to be capitalised on.

As an afterthought, it's interesting to note that the bloke in charge, John O'Neill was in charge of the Australian Rugby Union, and transformed that code from one wallowing in debt to one that took on League in the professional era.

The other thing that football has got rid of is the "ethnic" names of the football clubs, that has helped.

What Club are you at Dave?

SS9. I play for Gymea United in the Sutherland Comp.

It is, I might, add my last season. Giving it away in four weeks time (if we don't make the finals).

I play in the Eastern Suburbs League with a team called Barnstoneworth United.

Bunch of Pommies Scots and Irish lads. I am one of a few token Aussies.

Just got a message from Lucas Neill, my "hero"

From HeroMessage@telstra.com

Subject Your Hero has replied

Dear Ozz,

Your messages throughout the World Cup were a great inspiration. On behalf of all the boys, I'd like to thank you for all your heartfelt messages.

Lucas Neill

6:56:32 PM 5/07/2006

PS I'm off to Milan, so thanks for everything and good luck in the relegation scrap!

Cheeky Twank!

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.