BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

France 3 Spain 1

philipl

Two of Europe's giants clashing or is it a case of Champions past v Champions Future.

Until Ukraine got rid of Switzerland in a game of mind numbing boredom by all accounts, only the teams coming topof their respective groups had won.

Were it not for the nasty foul mouthed comments of the Spanish coach, I'd tip this as a stroll in the park against a French side whose coaching makes SGE appear an organised genius. However, the French might be stirred for one last show of gallic flair and fervour.

Maybe a few goalkeeping gaffes will liven this one up as well.

Spain to win 3-2.

Well here is my little preview for this game:

The French mostly seem resigned to defeat here, they were so unimpressive in the group stages that even the most optimistic of supporters have had to accept that they simply don't look like a side that could make it any further. They struggled through their group, finishing second behind Switzerland, who yesterday did their upmost not to score in a thrilling encounter against the Ukraine. Not finishing first in their group has been a major blow for the French who had thought that they could avoid facing another major power until the quarter finals, at which stage anything can happen and even if you lose it is fairly respectable. Zidane should return to the fold and the line-up will probably be the same as it was for the first two group games.

For Spain this World Cup has represented something of a success. So far there have been few, if any, stories of disagreements and unrest within the camp and there has yet to be the typical Spanish implosion. No one would doubt the quality of the Spanish squad, but they are perennial underachievers, usually attributed to the Spanish-Basque divide. However, they seem to have put all of that to rest as they are currently on a 25 match unbeaten run, never having lost under the guidance of Luis Aragones, and not having tasted defeat since Euro 2004. They started this tournament in emphatic style with a 4-0 victory over Spain, which saw them shoot up to many people's tips to go far, though their other two group games were not nearly as convincing. They struggled against both Tunisia and Saudi Arabia and need to rediscover the form of their first game if they are to be serious contenders in the long run.

Group Results:

France-

France 0-0 Switzerland

France 1-1 South Korea

France 2-0 Togo

Spain-

Spain 4-0 Ukraine

Spain 3-1 Saudi Arabia

Spain 1-0 Tunisia

The form book would have Spain coming out comfortable winners in this match, but does form really matter in the knock-out stages? You would have to say that Spain are due a defeat and it would be just like them to slip up at this stage in the competition. France on the other hand have looked totally out of sorts and lacking ideas, though there is undoubted quality in the side and with all of that experience you would think that they could well produce the goods when needed.

Prediction:

I expect Spain to win this one, maybe 2-1 or 2-0, but given their history and the fact that the French are annoying and tend to get further than you would expect I might go for a 2-1 France.

Depending on whether France go with Henry and Trezeguet up front, or just Henry on his own, will determine how well France do. Zidane, Viera and co just haven't impressed either. And seeing as it was a reserve Spain side against Tunisia, I expect them to play better and pull a win out of the bag, but as per so far, it will be a tense game.

Edited by Ronin

Prediction:

I expect Spain to win this one, maybe 2-1 or 2-0, but given their history and the fact that the French are annoying and tend to get further than you would expect I might go for a 2-1 France.

Well that's cleared up then, Eddie. How's the view from the fence?

;)

Finishes 3-1...Spain better than England? You're having a laugh. :P

How do you know England wouldnt have lost 3-1 to France as well???

Spaisn performance tonight was no way worse than England. Its just Englands luck they didnt face a tough team like France yet

Fair play to France. They have slowly improved throughout the tournament and did so again in that game. Spain, despite haveing most of the ball, looked lacking in ideas and nouse to create anything (think rovers away at 10 man Everton!). Good to see ZZ being as cool as ever with his goal at the end.

Have to say though Eddie, the penalty was nailed on. I wouldnt use the word stamped, but the defender just clumsily came down hard on the back of the spaniards ankle.

How do you know England wouldnt have lost 3-1 to France as well???

Spaisn performance tonight was no way worse than England. Its just Englands luck they didnt face a tough team like France yet

It was a bit of a joke. A team like France?!? I didn't hear any of you saying the words a "team like France" 24 hours ago, unless you're were saying "too old and going out". How fickle you are. Spain were pretty poor tonight, they didn't create a single chance all night and really didn't get forward very often. This isn't a great French side, though they did play well, Spain allowed them to. Spain were worse than England have been, they looked vulnerable at the back and a side with more quality would have put a player like Henry through more often, you can only beat the sides put in front of you (Spain had the easier group in my opinion) and England have done that so far, Spain haven't.

England may well go out to Portugal, I think they will go through but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't, but I found it funny when suddenly there was hype on here after Spain beat a poor (at least on the day) Ukraine 4-0, they didn't live up to it.

Allez les bleus! One more big day out for Zidane and company. It's a shame that the second goal came from Henry diving and clutching his face. I fancied France for this one and now the prospect of France against Brazil in the 1/4 final is mouth-watering.

Spain have been far more impressive than England have been, even without the 4-0 drubbing of Ukraine and I think that says something about how poor England have been. Fair enough, you said that England would get further than Spain and they have, but lets remember who England played and who Spain played. I don't think that Spain have failed to perform, they've just been beaten by a side that are better than people give them credit for.

Edited by RoyRover

Have to say though Eddie, the penalty was nailed on. I wouldnt use the word stamped, but the defender just clumsily came down hard on the back of the spaniards ankle.

When I say soft I didn't mean that it wasn't one, it was a soft penalty for France to give away.

Have to say the Spanish coach didn't set his side up right for this one and his selection was wrong. That said Spain never really looked like scoring from open play. All credit to Zidane for the killer goal.

France v Brasil will be a corker but the first half might be played at walking pace given how both teams feel their way into games.

good performance by France...but i can't see them getting past Brazil. I hope they do, but i cant see it happening!

On a side note how interesting would it be if all the underdogs won their repective matches and England, Germany, France & Ukraine all went through?! Throw the compition wide open!

Edited by cn_barlow

good performance by France...but i can't see them getting past Brazil. I hope they do, but i cant see it happening!

On a side note how interesting would it be if all the underdogs won their repective matches and England, Germany, France & Ukraine all went through?! Throw the compition wide open!

England are 5/4 to win in 90 minutes. Portugal 9/4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.