BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Look What I Found On The Internet

The question was "Is England still in the World?" Which is correct English.

My answer is "I ruddy hope so. I am fairly sure the country where I live hasn't been blasted off the face of the Earth". :)

Last time I checked, football was a team game..

IS Andy Murray still at Wimbledon?

ARE Marchester United in debt?

See the difference?

Depends whether you see England as a single collective entity (in which case it's "is") or a collection of individuals (in which case it's "and").

Either word is acceptable.

Depends whether you see England as a single collective entity (in which case it's "is") or a collection of individuals (in which case it's "and").

Either word is acceptable.

Exactly, the England team are a collection of players. In the same way the collective nation of England wasn't in the world cup (only the national TEAM) the whole town of blacburn aren't in the the Premiership, the TEAM called Blackburn Rovers are.

Ergo, "Blackburn is in the Premiership" sounds wrong and so by the same logic "England is in the World Cup" is also wrong.

You would never use "is" to describe a club team so why does it suddenly become acceptable for a national team?

Watch the video of this robbery in Oldham this week-Absolutely hilarious.

GMP you Tube

What's funny about that?

Edited by Ewood and I Would
  • Like 1

I always thought the using of 'is' instead of 'are' was an American thing. I always noticed most of the American posters on here will say "Blackburn is winning". Always sounds wrong to me. I always wonder why they use 'then' instead of 'than'? e.g. I like pies more then beer. Is it just bad English or an American thing? :)

"England is in the World Cup"

You would never use "is" to describe a club team so why does it suddenly become acceptable for a national team?

Unless it was literal

I don't think it is that large in reality though...

I consulted my 'Written English' handbook:

So what about sports clubs? Chelsea are top of the league or Chelsea is top of the league? Oddly, the former, plural version sounds better (neither sounds good if you support a rival team), so I recommend using it. Yes, this is different from my advice on corporates. Perhaps this is because Chelsea are clearly a team - fans have pictures of them on their walls - while Microsoft is a company, a legal entity. (My 'inner nerd' has just objected that sports clubs can also be companies. So? Stick to the rule. Manchester United has been bought by Malcolm Glazer. This refers to the legal entity that owns and controls the team. Manchester United are coming to Ewood Park in January. Team: eleven chaps in red shirts.)

Edited by Topman

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.