BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Look What I Found On The Internet

Meh, Totti's backheel pen is better

Besides when will people realise that GK's pick a side and go with it, 'tricks' don't send them the wrong way or anything..

you do realise that a keeper will only guess if he cant read the player taking the penalty?? and being a keeper myself I should know.

and for anyone that doesn't know what keepers looks out for look out for, what direction are the players hips pointing in. what direction is the players plant foot pointing in. both 99% of the time are tell tale signs of where that spot kick is going. and lastly if you still cant figure it out they go in the direction opposite to the players striking foot, if taker are right footed the keeper will usually go right (takers left) and vice versa.

• Like 1

you do realise that a keeper will only guess if he cant read the player taking the penalty?? and being a keeper myself I should know.

and for anyone that doesn't know what keepers looks out for look out for, what direction are the players hips pointing in. what direction is the players plant foot pointing in. both 99% of the time are tell tale signs of where that spot kick is going. and lastly if you still cant figure it out they go in the direction opposite to the players striking foot, if taker are right footed the keeper will usually go right (takers left) and vice versa.

I also play GK and disagree. With amatuers I will agree you can look out for 'signs', usually as simple as the arc of their run but none of tht works against better people, let alone top professionals. Basic stats will show that pro goal keepers do not go the right way 99% of the time as you suggest so why you think at the top level goal keepers would bother looking out for 'signs' I don't know; and every single pro goalie I have ever heard give tips on pens has said 'pick a side a stick with it'. If a pro keeper does look out for anything, it will be if the taker is nervous and nowadays they'll research pre-game, studying a pen taker's habbits rather than waiting to see "which direction their hips are facing" during the actual pen.

Watch this, which illustrates my point of randomness quite well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9-8UsJ-cpc

I paused it a split second before each pen and guessed the direction based on their run up...

1) Tevez - Skips round to give a wide angled run, indicates a shot to keeper's left. Result, he does shoot that way but Cech goes the wrong way (so thereby he must disagree with your theory as he went the opposite way to what the 'signs' suggested)

2) Ballack - Straightish run and short suggests to me hitting it to the keeper's right. Result, he kicks it the other way, with VDS going the same way, showing that this time the 'signs' were wrong/unreliable.

3) Carrick - Similar to Ballack but the wider angle and longer run suggested to me a strike to the keeper's left. Result, hits it to the keeper's right and sends Cech the wrong way so this time Cech followed the 'signs' rule but got it wrong thus disproving it's effectiveness.

4) Balleti - Wide, longish run and open body heavily suggest a strike to the keeper's left. Result, he does go left but top keeper ignores all the signs again showing you at that level relying on 'signs' isn't used.

5) Ronaldo - All the fancy tricks left me stumped I'll be honest but he misses which only reenforces my argument that trying tricks when taking pens isn't neccessary.

6) Lampard - Run and open body suggested strike to keeper's left. Result, did go left and VDS went that way too which is good for you. Although even though VDS did read the 'signs' in this case it still didn't help him.

7) Hargreaves - Run suggests to the keeper's left, body stance suggests right. Result, goes right, keeper goes right way but smashed into top corner.

8) A.Cole - wide run up and stance suggests a shot to the keeper's right. Result, it goes left and so does the keeper which is bad news for you :)

9) Nani - Short run and stance suggested to me a shot to the keeper's right. Result, it goes that way and so does Cech so one back for your theory.

10) Terry, well stance suggested it would go 5 miles wide so he did very well to hit the post! :D

And on your last point, I actually hold the opposite opinion. If in doubt, I would dive to my left to a right footed player as it is easier for a right footed player to side foot it to his right/the keeper's left than it is to either lace it or sidefoot drag it into the other corner.

Keepers are sent the wrong way all the time by bog standard run ups/strikes and I maintain my point that taking a pen in the manner the young Spanish guy did in the vid would make no difference to the probability of which way the keeper dives.

Edited by Ewood and I Would

if you still cant figure it out they go in the direction opposite to the players striking foot, if taker are right footed the keeper will usually go right (takers left) and vice versa.

That's not true at all...In fact it's more the opposite...a left footed player will always prefer to open his body and place it to the keepers right...there is a greater chance of pulling the shot wide if he went the other way.....I'm tellin you mate...you have it incorrect.

• Like 1

I also play GK and disagree. With amatuers I will agree you can look out for 'signs', usually as simple as the arc of their run but none of tht works against better people, let alone top professionals. Basic stats will show that pro goal keepers do not go the right way 99% of the time as you suggest so why you think at the top level goal keepers would bother looking out for 'signs' I don't know; and every single pro goalie I have ever heard give tips on pens has said 'pick a side a stick with it'. If a pro keeper does look out for anything, it will be if the taker is nervous and nowadays they'll research pre-game, studying a pen taker's habbits rather than waiting to see "which direction their hips are facing" during the actual pen.

Watch this, which illustrates my point of randomness quite well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9-8UsJ-cpc

I paused it a split second before each pen and guessed the direction based on their run up...

1) Tevez - Skips round to give a wide angled run, indicates a shot to keeper's left. Result, he does shoot that way but Cech goes the wrong way (so thereby he must disagree with your theory as he went the opposite way to what the 'signs' suggested)

2) Ballack - Straightish run and short suggests to me hitting it to the keeper's right. Result, he kicks it the other way, with VDS going the same way, showing that this time the 'signs' were wrong/unreliable.

3) Carrick - Similar to Ballack but the wider angle and longer run suggested to me a strike to the keeper's left. Result, hits it to the keeper's right and sends Cech the wrong way so this time Cech followed the 'signs' rule but got it wrong thus disproving it's effectiveness.

4) Balleti - Wide, longish run and open body heavily suggest a strike to the keeper's left. Result, he does go left but top keeper ignores all the signs again showing you at that level relying on 'signs' isn't used.

5) Ronaldo - All the fancy tricks left me stumped I'll be honest but he misses which only reenforces my argument that trying tricks when taking pens isn't neccessary.

6) Lampard - Run and open body suggested strike to keeper's left. Result, did go left and VDS went that way too which is good for you. Although even though VDS did read the 'signs' in this case it still didn't help him.

7) Hargreaves - Run suggests to the keeper's left, body stance suggests right. Result, goes right, keeper goes right way but smashed into top corner.

8) A.Cole - wide run up and stance suggests a shot to the keeper's right. Result, it goes left and so does the keeper which is bad news for you :)

9) Nani - Short run and stance suggested to me a shot to the keeper's right. Result, it goes that way and so does Cech so one back for your theory.

10) Terry, well stance suggested it would go 5 miles wide so he did very well to hit the post! :D

And on your last point, I actually hold the opposite opinion. If in doubt, I would dive to my left to a right footed player as it is easier for a right footed player to side foot it to his right/the keeper's left than it is to either lace it or sidefoot drag it into the other corner.

Keepers are sent the wrong way all the time by bog standard run ups/strikes and I maintain my point that taking a pen in the manner the young Spanish guy did in the vid would make no difference to the probability of which way the keeper dives.

Okay ill admit I was wrong on my last point, I got my directions messed up!

that being said, I presume you try to read a penalty via the players run? as that's how you have gone through all those penalties. that's no problem if it works for you, however as I said in my last post I try to read the players hips and plant foot as he is taking the shot, okay it isn't fool proof and doesn't give you as much time to react but it works. watch another video only this time when you pause it look at the players hips and plant foot and guess the direction. I managed to get it right on all bar 7/10 of those pens.

and as I'm sure you are well aware every keeper has their own preference, I was wrong with my last comment because of this. but the best penalty stoppers in the world will use some sort of method to read the player, rather than guessing. and I'm sure that unless 100% necessary a professional keeper doesn't guess..

• Backroom

that being said, I presume you try to read a penalty via the players run? as that's how you have gone through all those penalties. that's no problem if it works for you, however as I said in my last post I try to read the players hips and plant foot as he is taking the shot, okay it isn't fool proof and doesn't give you as much time to react but it works. watch another video only this time when you pause it look at the players hips and plant foot and guess the direction. I managed to get it right on all bar 7/10 of those pens.

and as I'm sure you are well aware every keeper has their own preference, I was wrong with my last comment because of this. but the best penalty stoppers in the world will use some sort of method to read the player, rather than guessing. and I'm sure that unless 100% necessary a professional keeper doesn't guess..

So you got 3 right? I think you're best off guessing.

If you wait to see the planted foot in the pro game you'd still be standing there by the time it flies past you. Top level players hit the ball so hard and accurately (usually) that you have to go before they even strike the ball. If you watch that vid and pause it at the point the striker plants his foot, the keeper has already started moving.

Edited by Ewood and I Would
  • Like 1

Colin

I like to look at clips like those, especially seeing everyone standing in the old Blackburn End. Remembering the real sense of belief and gut churning excitement about where the club was going, standing shoulder to shoulder with Liverpool, United, Arsenal etc.

Then my stomach always sinks when I think about how we are now, half empty ground, the quietest fans, no money for decent players. Almost a rich man's folly.

Two of my drinking friends are massive reds (one Mersey, one Stretford) and they have both said before now 'what ever happened to Blackburn Rovers?'

AS,

I’m sort of in agreement with you, I don’t suppose the Jack Walker/ Kenny Dalgleish bust-up at the end of the title winning season will ever be explained for a few years yet. Once Kenny walked away we went downwards fairly quickly.

It’s been 15 years since and we still haven’t been told the story why Dalgleish walked away.

BUT for those few glorious years we were brilliant, we won the league and I was there at Anfield on the day. I cried with happiness. I pretty much filled up at Cardiff when we won the Worthington Cup.

But now we’re back with the also-rans. Stoke; Birmingham; West Ham; Bolton.

But for those few glorious seasons we were immaculate. I think we should live with that, just as much as no one alive now lives with the time that we won the FA Cup three seasons in a row. (Which has yet to be equalled.)

I feel sorry for younger supporters who never saw that 7 - 1 drubbing of Norwich; nor the title win; nor the Worthington Cup. But I did. I’m enjoying the memory.

Blackburn Rovers are now back in the “remainder bin.”

All the media concentrates on Arsenal. Chelsea; Manchester United; & Liverpool. We just make up the numbers. I just suppose we’ve got to live with it. Screw the media & let’s get on being supporters of Rovers.

We could be Stanley fans or Rochdale fans or Bury fans or Oldham fans and be completely ignored

That’s me being philosophical. I thank you

Colin

• Like 1

AS,

I’m sort of in agreement with you, I don’t suppose the Jack Walker/ Kenny Dalgleish bust-up at the end of the title winning season will ever be explained for a few years yet. Once Kenny walked away we went downwards fairly quickly.

It’s been 15 years since and we still haven’t been told the story why Dalgleish walked away.

BUT for those few glorious years we were brilliant, we won the league and I was there at Anfield on the day. I cried with happiness. I pretty much filled up at Cardiff when we won the Worthington Cup.

But now we’re back with the also-rans. Stoke; Birmingham; West Ham; Bolton.

But for those few glorious seasons we were immaculate. I think we should live with that, just as much as no one alive now lives with the time that we won the FA Cup three seasons in a row. (Which has yet to be equalled.)

I feel sorry for younger supporters who never saw that 7 - 1 drubbing of Norwich; nor the title win; nor the Worthington Cup. But I did. I’m enjoying the memory.

Blackburn Rovers are now back in the “remainder bin.”

All the media concentrates on Arsenal. Chelsea; Manchester United; & Liverpool. We just make up the numbers. I just suppose we’ve got to live with it. Screw the media & let’s get on being supporters of Rovers.

We could be Stanley fans or Rochdale fans or Bury fans or Oldham fans and be completely ignored

That’s me being philosophical. I thank you

Colin

You're absolutely right. You can't change your team, still remember as a kid looking out of my bedroom window in the seventies seeing the top of the floodlights.

My Dad policing the game, letting me and my mates in halfway through the second half when they opened the big doors at the enclosure/darwen end corner. I even remember buying, (yes buying) a 7" vinyl of something called 'aye up, and give as a goal' from Reedys (?)

It's still the most recognisable shirt in the league, and our club (whoever's in charge) will still come up with an unexpected win against a bigger club now and then.

I've heard that before, and I really want that to be true but, didn't "Wanderers" win it 3 times in a row before us 1876-1878? Is there some reason they are overlooked? Or is it just that they no longer exist?

TheFA.com

I've heard that before, and I really want that to be true but, didn't "Wanderers" win it 3 times in a row before us 1876-1878? Is there some reason they are overlooked? Or is it just that they no longer exist?

TheFA.com

'Yet to be equalled' I'd read as "it hasn't been equalled since". As Wanderers did it earlier, what Colin's put seems fair enough to me.

Wanderers

The original FA Cup only had limited entry as all Ties had to be played in London - I cant find where these rules changed. Also it looks to me like the Wanderers were the best players from a number of clubs, rather than 1 club, but that isnt 100% so I may be incorrect.

Let's just quietly maintain that we are the only club to have won three FA Cups in succession.

There's no one from "The Wanderers" about any more. They don't exist. So let's just get on with the gentle statement that we've won the FA Cup three times in a row and let the opposition pedants have a go.

It was 120 years ago, so it's a bit of a thin boast in 2010.

• 2 weeks later...

http://news.aol.co.uk/bbc-bid-to-halt-top-gear/article/20100818211030651724140?icid=main|uk-ws-bb|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.co.uk%2Fbbc-bid-to-halt-top-gear%2Farticle%2F20100818211030651724140

I thought the anonymity idea was so that they could drop him and get another whenever he wanted a pay rise, killed himself etc.

So just do that and move on.

Blackburn`s first ever home game in the premier league.....

I remember being stood on the BBE & the whole place erupting when Shearer scored.

Good memories :rover:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.