BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Germany 0 Italy 2

Perth_Rover

Knock the commentary off so you don't have to put up with David Pleats semi-orgasmic statements and the game was pretty average in 90 minutes. Sure, plenty of nice passing around the middle of the park but a lack of final ball and hardly any shots on target. My Dad, who's practically deaf, commented that it was hardly a classic just seconds after David Pleat said it was one of the classic 0-0's of all time.

If England had performed for 90 minutes like Germany had there'd be people saying we were uncreative, dreadful etc...

Having said that in extra time both teams really went for it to create a brilliant 30 additional minutes with Italy scoring two great (for different reasons) goals.

Classic exciting extra time certainly (just as on Saturday) but let's not go overboard about the 90 minutes because both them teams were nothing special, especially up front.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'll just have to disagree with you then Hasta, but I'm accustomed (customed?) to Italian football and enjoy the nice passing play, not necessarily just to score goals. Italy rarely played the ball off the ground, and in defence they always had the cool and technique to keep possession - which I thouroughly enjoy watching. Cannavaro is arguably the best defender in the world, and Matrix looked good today aswell as the attacking fullbacks. Even Del Piero and Totti managed to combine today, which rarely happens..

As for the final ball, I agree to some extent, Luca Toni rarely looked dangerous and were left alone for much of the game - but Totti's through balls to Perrotta's tireless runs certainly pleased me. England wouldn't perform like that, because they base their game on pace and strength, and in my opinion they don't have the quality to play Italy's passing game either. But that's a whole other discussion..

Edited by herbergeehh

It makes you think after a match like that though, just how far England are behind nations like that! Superb match, superb football, superb spirit and superb goals. Delighted that i was able to witness a match like that, every player gave their all for the cause and no player let themselves down. Italy were my dark horse tip before the event and remain it now!

Don't agree with that. As has been pointed out, had England put on a display like either side did during the 90 minutes they would have been slaughtered for being unimaginative but solid. I think Germany lost because they were happy to go to the shoot-out, Italy were willing to do anything to avoid it, it told in the end.

Fair points herbergeehh but I'd rather have a blood and thunder premier league game where chances are created due to both teams going forward and chances caused pressure on the defneces and mistakes.

A half of football littered with misplaced pasess and long hoofs up front which generates 10 shots on goal will always appear more exciting to me than 45 minutes of playing the ball around (very skillfully may I point out) up to and around the area but very little goalmouth action.

On another point did any else think that when Lehamnn tried to 'do a schumacher' (© David Pleat 2006), that he did actually try to knobble the italian after he'd punched the ball.

On another point did any else think that when Lehamnn tried to 'do a schumacher' (© David Pleat 2006), that he did actually try to knobble the italian after he'd punched the ball.

Yep, definitely.

I was just glad Germany weren't outplayed by the better side (again) only to win the penalty shootout.

I had nightmarish visions of them doing this and in the final and being crowned World Champs without actually beating anyone from the last 8 onwards.

Which would have been indicative of the mediocrity of the tournament as a whole. Thought extra time was very good though.

And I've been very impressed with Italy in the last 2 games albeit not in the early stages.

Fair points herbergeehh but I'd rather have a blood and thunder premier league game where chances are created due to both teams going forward and chances caused pressure on the defneces and mistakes.

A half of football littered with misplaced pasess and long hoofs up front which generates 10 shots on goal will always appear more exciting to me than 45 minutes of playing the ball around (very skillfully may I point out) up to and around the area but very little goalmouth action.

And that, in a hutshell, is probably why England are unlikley to win the World Cup in the near future. As long as Premiership audiences demand blood and thunder football that's the type of footballer England will produce, who will then be found out when they come up against a team who can play the game properly.

They pinch 3 lions and now they have you'll never walk alone playing :blink:

:angry:

but scousers and krauts = same :P

glad they went out..

btw how good is totti he was amazing last night!

Edited by ABBEY

It makes you think after a match like that though, just how far England are behind nations like that!

I'm not so sure that England, or the majority of the 32 teams, are that much behind, BRFC.

All it takes is a slightly different approach from an astute manager. England had the right squad available (though it wasn't chosen) and with hindsight, the wrong manager. I'm not convinced that with the new manager it is now heading in the right direction.

If you look at the approach that the Aussies took into the game v Italy. They were fit, they chased down most of the play, and they backed each other up. OK they ended up losing, but it was close.

When the Italians scored against Germany, the Germans were being overun. One can only asume that the Italians were fitter, physically and mentally.

I wonder what would have happened if Hiddink had been the manager of England. I'd hazzard a guess that they'd still be in it.

Edited by dave birch

Michael Ballack? Im sure hes good and all - but ive seen nothing this tournament to show me that he's worth the money or hype.

Like Lampard i suppose ;)

I CAN SEE US RANTING AT HIM WHEN HE GOES DOWN WITH DECAPITATED LEG AFTER SAV CLATTERS HIM AND MIRACULSLY WALK BACK ON THE PITCH UN SCARRED 30 SECONDS LATER AFTER HE GOT THE REF TO MAKE SAV WALK

I used to think Terry was the best defender in the world. However, the World Cup showed Cannavaro is a whole class above Terry. Even though he is 5'8" he ensured Klose /Podolski never got more than a couple of headers toward goal. He is pacy, strong on the tackle, and looks reasonably comfortable on the ball.

Don't agree with that. As has been pointed out, had England put on a display like either side did during the 90 minutes they would have been slaughtered for being unimaginative but solid. I think Germany lost because they were happy to go to the shoot-out, Italy were willing to do anything to avoid it, it told in the end.

Eddie, your belief in England is remarkable. Especially after that shambles. Maybe you should accept that you were wrong in hyping up England as potential champs.

I still don't think Italy are that good but their defence is certainly impressive and anyone who thinks Gary Neville is a world class full back needs to watch Zambrotta in action.

An England team managed by a real manager could beat them imo.

I still don't think Italy are that good but their defence is certainly impressive and anyone who thinks Gary Neville is a world class full back needs to watch Zambrotta in action.

Sagnol & Miguel have both looked quite impressive as well.

That was one of the best matches at this World Cup by a mile. Both teams went for it, playing attacking football and even though there weren't many chances, it was end to end stuff. The two goals were exceptional finishes. I've got to agree with people's assessment of Zambrotta, the guy is just an unbelievably good player. He's a world class left back for Juventus, but for Italy at right back he has been great.

A good game for a change in this World Cup, and even moreso in Extra-Time. Kind of hoping that it wouldn't go to penalties, as with the Germans' record being pretty dang good knew they'd go through if it did.

Two good goals, and a decent ref letting the game flow a bit rather than giving free-kicks and booking everyone every time someone fell down.

Zambrotta and Cannavaro being standouts for Italy.

Roll on Sunday - Forza Italia :lol:

Edited by Ronin

They pinch 3 lions and now they have you'll never walk alone playing :blink:

We watched the game at the indoor Dortmund fanfest, which was an ice hockey arena, along with about 15,000 german fans.

Before the game they put on a 'football disco' which ended with the song 'we are the champions' just before the game :D:D:D

Eddie, your belief in England is remarkable. Especially after that shambles. Maybe you should accept that you were wrong in hyping up England as potential champs.

An England team managed by a real manager could beat them imo.

I don't think I was wrong. Were the Dutch, Argentinians and Brazilians also wrong? Of course not, they all had the ability to win it. Neville is world class, as is Zambrotta, Neville played well in every match he played in this world cup and we never looked trouble down the left hand side with him in the team.

As has been pointed out, had England put on a display like either side did during the 90 minutes they would have been slaughtered for being unimaginative but solid.

Did you actually watch this game , Eddie ? I've never read anything so daft in all my life . England never came within a light year of producing anything like the quality produced by either team in either the 90 mins or the extra time .

Michael Ballack? Im sure hes good and all - but ive seen nothing this tournament to show me that he's worth the money or hype.

Like Lampard i suppose ;)

Someone else who has been watching the game with their eyes closed . Ballack has been tremendous in this tournament - he looked a couple of classes above any of our boys anyhow :o

We watched the game at the indoor Dortmund fanfest, which was an ice hockey arena, along with about 15,000 german fans.

Before the game they put on a 'football disco' which ended with the song 'we are the champions' just before the game :D:D:D

While we were at the fan fest for the England/T&T match, the England fans started singing "we are the champions" the germans were looking at them funny and pointing to their 3 stars...

Did you actually watch this game , Eddie ? I've never read anything so daft in all my life . England never came within a light year of producing anything like the quality produced by either team in either the 90 mins or the extra time .

It was pretty stuff, but did the two sides arrange to just pass the ball around and go for broke in extra time? Neither looked liked scoring. You can keep the ball as well as you want in the middle of the park, good performances come from what you can do in the final third and until extra time it didn't look as if either side could do anything where it counted.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.