SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup Final, Zidane thinks its Over

philipl

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done to Italy on winning the World Cup, they have been the most consistent team at the competition. As for the game itself, I felt that France were the better side overall, but couldn't create many chances through their dominance and that is testament to how strong the Italians have been at the back. I really wanted France to win, because of my connections with the country and because I wanted Zidane, who's been the greatest player in the last decade and is one of the all time greats to retire at the top of the game. I also wanted to see Thuram, who has been such a dominant defender in the world to retire from international football with a World Cup medal. However, you could say that these players already have a World Cup medal and players like Cannavaro, Nesta and Zambrotta deserve their place in history.

I think that the Malouda incident was a penalty and he should have had another after that. As for the Zidane incident, what a terrible way to end your football career. There's no doubt that he deserved to go, it was totally out of order and could over shadowed what he has achieved. I'm not sure if his sending off changed the outcome, yes he would have taken a penalty, but so would Trezeguet. The Italians were cool under pressure and have every reason to celebrate.

Exactly Abbey, things like that will be said all the time in football, no escaping this for Zidane, he should have been big enough to rise above it, or do what most others do and get your own back in a less obvious and disgusting way or simply say something back. Things like that are always said in sport, if you can't handle it then don't play. He's always had a nasty side, shame he had to show it in his last game on such a stage.

Anyone who plays or has played football knows the phycological warfare that goes on during a game. This can be digs in the ribs, poke in the a55 OR verbal intimidation.

With a weak personality it works!

Imagine going up to the ref saying " SIR, SIR THAT BOY JUST CALLED BE A BIG GIRLS BLOUSE" OR " RUN PASSED ME LIKE THAT AGAIN AND YOUR CAPRI WONT HAVE ANY WHEELS LEFT" or " YOUR SISTER SO LOOSE ....ETC"

as they say....... "ITS IN THE GAME"

Even if he did Zidane was a fool and a thug. That sort of thing is so common in sport and to react like that is unacceptable. I fear that this may be turned into a sympathy campaign.

Absolutely spot on, Eddie. No matter what Materazzi said, Zidane didn't just lose his cool - he went absolutely mad. After reading the last few articles on the matter, the sympathy campaign is certainly on the road already. Compiled videoes of Matrix' tackles and roughing up people has absolutely nothing to do with Zidane, who's been a hot-head for years anyway. Lip-readers my arse.

PS: That Times article is rubbish. They are just mentioning things Materazzi could have said to make Zidane go crazy, before one of them talk this is just speculation - and a cruel type of speculation aswell: How would you like to be accused of mocking a man's death?

With Materazzi denying all such charges, sources close to the Italy defender even claimed that he had been insulted.

Who wouldn't be? Even if he dd say something (which is highly likely), he has the right to be insulted when people suggests such awful things.

Edited by herbergeehh

Adieu Zizou.

It would have been truly awful if the cheating french (dive vs portugal although I'm not complaining and clear dive in the final) won the cup.

Alan Shearer is one of these truly naive "life is full of roses" sort of person when he said he thought it was clearly a penalty. :huh: You blind al?

Aye. My initial reaction (before seeing the television replay of the incident) was that it was a dive and a straight yellow card for simulation.

There was a clear call in the second half, though, so fortunately things evened themselves out in the end.

Good on Italy for winning, I suppose. They were the best team of the tournament, although not by a mile. It was a shame about Germany and Argentina. I always thought a European team would win it, but Italy wasn't one of them. And neither were France or Portugal.

Zidane tickled my Real Madrid/Francoist hating funny bone with that headbutt of his. :ph34r:

I dont think its too ridiculous. If he said something along the lines of "your the son of a terrorist whore", then that has crossed a line.

People often complain that it's not only ethnic/coloured people that can be victims of racism, and if the above happened and FIFA do something about it, I would be quite happy.

But this is only happening cause it was Zidane involved.

In a normal case, no one would care.

It happens in sports!

I mean, if it wasn't a racist insult (and callin someone a terrorist is not racist), would it make a diference?

I dont think its too ridiculous. If he said something along the lines of "your the son of a terrorist whore", then that has crossed a line.

People often complain that it's not only ethnic/coloured people that can be victims of racism, and if the above happened and FIFA do something about it, I would be quite happy.

take it you dont play sunday morning pub footy...theres always comments about "whose banging yer missus whilst your here " and "eating yer mams heart"

it happens

Calling an ordinary muslim a terrorist is not racist?

What planet do you live on?

They messed up with Aragones and Spain, and I would hope FIFA dont mess up this time.

It is racism, and FIFA are against it, and thus should do something about it.

take it you dont play sunday morning pub footy...theres always comments about "whose banging yer missus whilst your here " and "eating yer mams heart"

it happens

Oh niceone mate.

It happens in the sunday league, so it should happen on the world stage, they are meant to be setting a good example not a bad one.

If you went up to a muslim in your place of work (Zidane was in his place of work) and called them a "son of a terrorist whore", you wouldnt deserve some sort of punishment?

Oh I forgot he is a rich footballer so should take it.

take it that it is a no then for sunday morning footy.....ok ,if someone called me a thick scumbag from brinscall at work then that would make it kool for me to headbutt him.?

get a grip ..so out of the entire world cup ,zz is the only player who took any abuse off opposing players .

Edited by ABBEY

That's the most pathetic argument I have ever heard.

Muslim's feel alienated because every f****r believes they are a terrorist, and with comments like that Im not surprised.

F**k it he deserved. The stupid ****ing **** ******

(remember this a football messageboard, bad language is a given)

I don't blame him for doing what he did if in fact the reports are true that he was called a 'dirty terrorist'. I think there are certain things that set people off and it happens that Materazzi found the right button to push to get him ejected out of the game. Of course it wasn't just that one comment that probably set him off, I'm sure the whole game zz was a powder keg from all the abuse he was taking, just the final straw. He is only human afterall.

i got called a thick useless numpty...today...i find that offensive but i didnt stick the nut on him...

why is it a pathetic argument?

ah well its home time...the scousers will be saying "woolyback" to me ...think i willstick the nut on them and say bucky says it ok.

The insult should be investigated and clamped down on but it cant excuse ZZ's actions. He acted a lot worst and thats what should be focused upon. As it happens no-one is focusing disciplinary action against him as any fine FIFA give ZZ would be nothing to him and there seems no point in banning him, they could punish France as a team but thats not going to happen. Having said that they should give him a fine AND a ban and both should be worst than anything MM gets given to make that point that violence is the worse of the two offences.

Oh niceone mate.

It happens in the sunday league, so it should happen on the world stage, they are meant to be setting a good example not a bad one.

If you went up to a muslim in your place of work (Zidane was in his place of work) and called them a "son of a terrorist whore", you wouldnt deserve some sort of punishment?

Oh I forgot he is a rich footballer so should take it.

Insults fly around on the football pitch, I'm sure Zidane, who is not the nicest man by all accounts, didn't keep his mouth shut for the entire game. You know it will happen, no matter where you play football people say things and I'm sure he has heard much worse things in his time.

I don't blame him for doing what he did if in fact the reports are true that he was called a 'dirty terrorist'. I think there are certain things that set people off and it happens that Materazzi found the right button to push to get him ejected out of the game. Of course it wasn't just that one comment that probably set him off, I'm sure the whole game zz was a powder keg from all the abuse he was taking, just the final straw. He is only human afterall.

I do. If he is only human then why is he the first football I have ever seen do anything quite like that, especially in a world cup final? You don't think the others were insulted? The French team is virtually entirely black or arab, you think the only person who was insulted was Zidane? Also, how do you explain his previous offences. This isn't his first headbutt, the 98 world cup he was sent off after a nast stamp (on a saudi I believe so I'm sure he wasn't called a terrorist that time).

The insult should be investigated and clamped down on but it cant excuse ZZ's actions. He acted a lot worst and thats what should be focused upon. As it happens no-one is focusing disciplinary action against him as any fine FIFA give ZZ would be nothing to him and there seems no point in banning him, they could punish France as a team but thats not going to happen. Having said that they should give him a fine AND a ban and both should be worst than anything MM gets given to make that point that violence is the worse of the two offences.

The insult shouldn't be investigated. Is it only worth investigating because he reacted? You would have to be banning several players a game if we set these standards. Do you think players like Keane, Savage, Viera who live off of getting under the skin of their opposite number would ever get on the pitch?

I hate to think how different all of this had been had the offender been English, I also hate to think where all this may well lead. This is getting to the extent where if I were Materazzi I would press charges for assault just to make a point of it. Zidane has shown himself to be a little man by not coming out and simply holding his hands up. There is no excuse, I don't care what was said. Think of sledging in cricket, do you think during the Ashes this winter (or summer depending on your location) that nothing nasty will be said. Welcome to the world of sport everybody, you can't escape the nasty verbals, if you can't stand it, don't play it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.