BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Get Your Clocks Ready

Guest Kamy100

Guest Kamy100

From The Scotsman:

As the World Cup in Germany draws to a close, it is being reported in South Africa that FIFA executives have made contingency plans to move the 2010 competition to Australia because of South Africa's high levels of violent crime, inadequate public transport, widespread AIDS infection and a general lack of readiness.

The reports, based on an interview with a member of South Africa's organising committee just back from Germany, coincide with confirmation that the country's prestigious World Cup transport project, a rapid-rail link from Johannesburg airport to the centre and Pretoria, will not be ready on time.

The former South African president Nelson Mandela celebrated by holding the World Cup aloft in May 2004 when his country won the right to host the 2010 World Cup finals. But the report in the Rapport newspaper said FIFA was alarmed by the organising committee's plan for "tented towns" to relieve a lack of hotel accommodation.

Joop Demes, the managing director of the hotel investment arm of real estate group Pam Golding, said 600 new hotels would be needed, each with at least 100 rooms, to lodge the one million-plus fans expected to flood South Africa in July 2010. [...]

Tony Leon, the leader of the Democratic Alliance, the official opposition, said South Africa was "two years behind in its preparations, due to government sluggishness in processing all the legislation necessary".

Tony Twine, a leading independent econo-mist, warned that the South African organisers and government were adopting "a very casual" approach. He added: "I'm not sure we're going to cope with it."

Rapport quoted the anonymous member of the South African organising committee as saying FIFA officials are increasingly cynical about Danny Jordaan's assurances that everything is fine and ahead of schedule.

The confirmation by Murray & Roberts, South Africa's biggest construction company, that the £2 billion Gautrain project will not be ready for 2010 is only part of the evidence contradicting him.

The country's public transport system is generally in chaos, and there is no transport system at all in three of the centres where World Cup matches would be played - Nelspruit, Rustenburg and Polokwane.

Interesting. Substitute all the African placenames with English ones and World Cup with Olympics and 2010 with 2012 and there's another Scoop for you!

Someone call a doctor! My sides have split :rolleyes:

Bloody hell, its 6 years away and people are already willing to put the boot in.

From The Scotsman:

As the World Cup in Germany draws to a close, it is being reported in South Africa that FIFA executives have made contingency plans to move the 2010 competition to Australia because of South Africa's high levels of violent crime, inadequate public transport, widespread AIDS infection and a general lack of readiness.

The reports, based on an interview with a member of South Africa's organising committee just back from Germany, coincide with confirmation that the country's prestigious World Cup transport project, a rapid-rail link from Johannesburg airport to the centre and Pretoria, will not be ready on time . . .

The country's public transport system is generally in chaos, and there is no transport system at all in three of the centres where World Cup matches would be played - Nelspruit, Rustenburg and Polokwane.

If this is the case, it makes you wonder why the got the thing in the first place. Although I have my suspicions <_<

The issues about the South African games are mind-boggling.

Even if they get everything right, it is a vast country with somewhat limited public transport. The opportunity for having Group games moving around the country is therefore all but impossible.

With luck, it will be like the World Cup in the USA... at best.

Why is Australia in the mix? :huh:

We didn't bid to be world cup host did we?

If the South Africans can't handle it then FIFA would probably opt for another backward , "emerging" nation .

Yep , Australia is as good a choice as any ...... B)

Not going to bite, :P

Edited by AussieinUk

There are always stories like this going on.

The 2004 Olympics had similar problems and talk was going around that they would have to go back to Australia, but it was never going to happen. The Greeks got their act together and put on a great games.

I suspect that something similar will happen here, and the Saffers will pull their finger out.

Fat Sepp Blatter has staked his whole FIFA leadership on ensuring the 2010 World Cup happens in Africa. And was also behind the move which now sees an extra African country in the finals but the holders have to qualify. In fact the two are intrinsically linked - he wouldn't have won the presidency without (2), and (1) was a pledge he made if he did win.

The African teams provided much entertainment in this tournament, but in the final analysis they were crap, and having one extra African nation and making the champions of the world qualify is a joke. This might come home to roost as domestic Italian football rips itself to bits in the next few months - a nasty qualifying group draw could see WC 2010 played out without yesterdays winners.

FIFA are implanting (and paying for) consultants within the host nation like never before, but the signs are not good in terms of emulating Germany. At best they can make sure the tournament works, but they can't recreate the amazing and perfectly organised / policed fan fests we've experienced in Germany - unless ridiculous security measures are put in place and a new public transport system falls out of the sky (and they learn to brew decent ale and make good sausages).

Fat Sepp Blatter changed the rules to make sure the 2010 WC went to Africa, so it's likely that 2014 will be South America (Brazil is favourite) and we may be back in Europe in 2018 - and logically that would be in England. 12 years seems so far off ...

I'm just going to focus on Rovers in Europe this season, and then make sure I'm at Euro 2008 - not the same buzz as the World Cup, but let's take what we can get!!

If it was in Australia the game would be played at like 3am our time wouldn't they. :(

Would probably help boost 'soccer' interest in Australia though.

I think more fans would go to Australia aswell. I know i would...but there's no chance im going to South Africa

If it was in Australia the game would be played at like 3am our time wouldn't they. :(

Would probably help boost 'soccer' interest in Australia though.

So what?

That's what a lot of us have had to do for the past month.

It would sort out the real "soccer" fans amongst you :)

I think more fans would go to Australia aswell. I know i would...but there's no chance im going to South Africa

Definatly. I would go across for sure. What a great excuse to go back Ozz. I do wonder were the games would be played though. Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisvagus but then..... 95% of international sport is in Melbourne and I can see the ozzies wanting to hold about 50% of the whole tornument at the MCG. Not sure how it would work on short notice.

I do wonder were the games would be played though. Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisvagus but then..... 95% of international sport is in Melbourne and I can see the ozzies wanting to hold about 50% of the whole tornument at the MCG.

Errr right..

Sydney - Sydney Football Stadium 46k, Olympic Stadium 83k, SCG 44k

Brisbane - Gabba 42k

Melbourne - Telstra Dome 57k, MCG 95k

Adelaide - AAMI Stadium 52k

Perth - Subiaco Oval 43k

Thats 8 stadiums..

Edited by AussieinUk

The African teams provided much entertainment in this tournament, but in the final analysis they were crap, and having one extra African nation and making the champions of the world qualify is a joke.

Ivory Coast: Would have qualified from any other group

Ghana: Beat Czech Republic as comfortably as Italy did. Undone by bad refereeing in 2nd round

Tunisia: Were better than Ukraine, again the referee ignored a Ukranian HB and gave a penalty for a Shevchenko dive.

Angola: Held Mexico to a draw and lost only to Portugal (just like England :D )

Togo: Worst African team here and the results showed, still had plenty of battle in them.

Contrast that with teams like Serbia, Poland, and Ukraine, all of whom qualified comfortably from Europe but were not good at all.

Ivory Coast: Would have qualified from any other group

Ghana: Beat Czech Republic as comfortably as Italy did. Undone by bad refereeing in 2nd round

Tunisia: Were better than Ukraine, again the referee ignored a Ukranian HB and gave a penalty for a Shevchenko dive.

Angola: Held Mexico to a draw and lost only to Portugal (just like England :D )

Togo: Worst African team here and the results showed, still had plenty of battle in them.

Contrast that with teams like Serbia, Poland, and Ukraine, all of whom qualified comfortably from Europe but were not good at all.

Don't get me wrong - I really enjoyed watching all of the teams from Africa - I was in Dortmund for Togo v Switzerland and it was fantastic entertainment. You can't say that about too many games involving Switzerland!

My gripe is with Blatter who - in his quest for support from all corners - decided that the WC holders have to qualify, in order to shoe in an extra spot for a team from Africa. The holders should never have to qualify for the finals, end of story.

Don't get me wrong - I really enjoyed watching all of the teams from Africa - I was in Dortmund for Togo v Switzerland and it was fantastic entertainment. You can't say that about too many games involving Switzerland!

My gripe is with Blatter who - in his quest for support from all corners - decided that the WC holders have to qualify, in order to shoe in an extra spot for a team from Africa. The holders should never have to qualify for the finals, end of story.

But they don't have to qualify, they have to qualify for the FINALS. People discount the rest of the tournament, all of the "qualifiers." Really they are the earlier rounds. It would be like the FA champs being put in the quarterfinals.

Errr right..

Sydney - Sydney Football Stadium 46k, Olympic Stadium 83k, SCG 44k

Brisbane - Gabba 42k

Melbourne - Telstra Dome 57k, MCG 95k

Adelaide - AAMI Stadium 52k

Perth - Subiaco Oval 43k

Thats 8 stadiums..

Suncorp 52K

ANZ 48K

Canberra Stadium 24K

Energy Australia Stadium 26K

WIN Stadium 20K

Adelaide Oval 33K

Princes Park 35K

There's another 7 if required

Isn't the World Cup minimum 30,000 with 40,000+ preferred?

Obviously holding World Cups in large countries has its logistical drawbacks- South Africa is huge but Australia is another matter altogether. Including Perth as a venue in European terms would be like having the World Cup in Germany with a few games played in the Siberian cities with German-speaking populations.

Isn't the World Cup minimum 30,000 with 40,000+ preferred?

Obviously holding World Cups in large countries has its logistical drawbacks- South Africa is huge but Australia is another matter altogether. Including Perth as a venue in European terms would be like having the World Cup in Germany with a few games played in the Siberian cities with German-speaking populations.

Even so...there are 12 stadiums listed above with 30,000+ capacity.

How did it work when it was held in the USA? Im a bit young to remember it....was it focused on one part of the coutry?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.