BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

If we're playin' "trendy" I bought my C.D. of Dark Side Of The Moon to replace me cassette which replaced the vinyl several years ago :tu: ............prefer Wish You Were Here though.......

Saw Muse at Old Trafford recently.............

Nearly as good as T'Rovers at the seaside ( last time I went there tangerines were also in the top flight............)

[ Fat, Old an' Proud :rover: ................................)

It was Craven Cottage Bob. "£4 to get in, and the beer is mediocre".

I don't know why, but that made me laugh out loud. Thank you Nothing else to add.

• 7 months later...

There's a few that are into Jazz.

Just bought the Smithsonian Institutes Anthology of Jazz, six cd set enveloped in what is essentially a book.

It details the history of the genre and gives detailed info about each track.

For US$99, well worth the price for what is an invaluable history for those who like Jazz.

Fish part/Nationality/Bird named proto rap poet passes away. RIP Gil, legend.

Looks like it's just you and me with Gil appreciation! A genuine legend and he quite possibly left his best 'til last - 'I'm New Here' is simply an amazing piece of work, must get 'We Are New Here' too. RIP Gil. The revolution will not be televised.

Darwen Live music festival today. Anybody going? :huh:

My mate`s band (the scene) are on the main stage at 12.30.

• 3 weeks later...

rather gathered my interest last week.

Just out of interest, does anyone else share my disappointment that so many people never get the full texture of music via a decent hi-fi system. Youtube gives you the video and some tinny music, and downloads are handy, but compressed and you play them through little earphones.

I played The Pierces Cd on the tinny little system in the kitchen a couple of times before I fired up the hi-fi in the front room. By Crivens! It was like listening to a whole new experience.

My hi-fi is not particularly briliant, although it's set up properly.

It does seem a shame that if someone takes the time & effort to record a decent sounding CD (or LP) that it only gets played via a compressed download via a pair of 50p earphones.

Any thoughts?

Less and less music is produced in a traditional studio these days, as software becomes cheaper to buy and the ability of a musician of make a decent recording in their own `bedroom` increases. The downside of that is the `master` is usually a compressed file, rather than studio tape. The young folk of today wnat music on the go, for ipod etc and it does not need to be of any great quality really.

However, for the more mature listeners such as you and I Colin, there is a lot of pleasure to had from the absorbtion of well produced, original quality audio. Vinyl is still the best, IMO, and a good turntable with good interconnects and a muscular amp with speakers to match are the best way.

I had the pleasure of using this Harman Kardon bad boy earlier this week and it blew me away. Some old Tannoy 605s connected to it with my Revolver turntable. I put a vinyl copy of Sgt Pepper on, and it nearly had the roof tiles shaking off at one point. Not in volume terms, but resonance.

Caught a few groups on the Glastonbury BBC broadcasts tonight....

Biffy were their usual awesome.

Mumford & Son came across really well. Stars of the night for me:tu:

U2 are not my cup of tea, but played all the hits & a few oldies as well. 3/4 of the band still look, act & play pretty cool but Bono irritates the #### out of me. Dad dancing at a wedding, trying to be hip springs to mind. He needs to ditch the black leather & sun glasses 'terminator' look & be a bit more natural. Oh & he seriously needs to untuck his t-shirt from his trousers! :unsure: 50+ year old men gyrating on stage is just plain wrong. Bono, its not cool & its not clever.

rather gathered my interest last week.

Just out of interest, does anyone else share my disappointment that so many people never get the full texture of music via a decent hi-fi system. Youtube gives you the video and some tinny music, and downloads are handy, but compressed and you play them through little earphones.

I played The Pierces Cd on the tinny little system in the kitchen a couple of times before I fired up the hi-fi in the front room. By Crivens! It was like listening to a whole new experience.

My hi-fi is not particularly briliant, although it's set up properly.

It does seem a shame that if someone takes the time & effort to record a decent sounding CD (or LP) that it only gets played via a compressed download via a pair of 50p earphones.

Any thoughts?

Grandpa-snoring.jpg

(sorry Colin not for me! :P )

Just back from Glastonbury for the sixth time - as wonderful and weird as ever. I never get to see a huge number of bands on account of working 4 hours a day and having people to meet, beers to drink etc but these were my highlights: -

Fleet Foxes - faultless, having got the sound right which blighted their set two years ago

Elbow - Guy Garvey knows how to perfectly catch the Glastonbury mood, probably because he actually stays on site and comes when he's not performing

B B King - still the master

Stornoway

Asian Dub Foundation

John Cooper Clarke

Gretchen Peters, Suzy Boguss and Matraca Berg

Bellowhead

Plus a usual array of enjoyable bands that I heard snippets of but have no idea who they are, some fine comedy and a whole range of very odd things, most of which I have desire to see again but my life is fuller for having seen once.

(sorry Colin not for me!)

That's OK by me Bacup, but to me it's like driving a car on under-inflated tyres or taking a photo with a sticky finger-print on the lens.

Each to his own, as they say.

Just back from Glastonbury for the sixth time - as wonderful and weird as ever. I never get to see a huge number of bands on account of working 4 hours a day and having people to meet, beers to drink etc but these were my highlights: -

Fleet Foxes - faultless, having got the sound right which blighted their set two years ago

Elbow - Guy Garvey knows how to perfectly catch the Glastonbury mood, probably because he actually stays on site and comes when he's not performing

B B King - still the master

Stornoway

Asian Dub Foundation

John Cooper Clarke

Gretchen Peters, Suzy Boguss and Matraca Berg

Bellowhead

Plus a usual array of enjoyable bands that I heard snippets of but have no idea who they are, some fine comedy and a whole range of very odd things, most of which I have desire to see again but my life is fuller for having seen once.

Some decent performances O2G? What did you reckon to the great Johnny Clarke? One of the bonuses of working from home more these days is getting to listen to a lot of radio - he was a guest the other week on one afternoon's Radcliffe and Maconie and was on fine form. Had me in stitches.

Has anyone else heard of a band called The Weeknd (and that's not a misspelling)? I heard one of their tracks late one Sunday night on Radio 1 and have been liking them ever since. It's a mix of R'N'B, Dubstep and Indie. They sound great IMO.

Some decent performances O2G? What did you reckon to the great Johnny Clarke? One of the bonuses of working from home more these days is getting to listen to a lot of radio - he was a guest the other week on one afternoon's Radcliffe and Maconie and was on fine form. Had me in stitches.

Well he was on my highlights list. He was in fine form and I think justified my decision to stay and see him rather than go to see Raghu Dixit, who I had been trying to see all weekend.

Well he was on my highlights list. He was in fine form and I think justified my decision to stay and see him rather than go to see Raghu Dixit, who I had been trying to see all weekend.

Saw a clip of Dixit on the highlights, he was awesome. Really pleased I got to see that, doing some more digging into him now.

If you thought of that one yourself you should be proud of yourself mate, that is absolute quality! :lol:

Alas, i admit it`s not one of mine (wish it was)

I think it originated from one of the broadsheet Glasto reviews. Somebody tweeted it & i stole it.

It is indeed a quality line tho :tu:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.