BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

I can't hear any relation between The Hooisers and The Cure to be honest. At a stretch the lead singer might sound a little bit like Robert Smith, but it's a big stretch. Musically there isn't any resemblance at all though.

SteB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ste B @ May 20 2008, 19:52 ) 610465[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No thats the Hoosiers. Who can also sound like the Electric Light Orchestra as well

LeChuck Posted Today, 20:28

I can't hear any relation between The Hooisers and The Cure to be honest.

Maybe my comment of 'are they the ones that sound like the cure' was a bit over the top because like I say I dont get much chance to listen to much stuff at the moment however, it it is the hoosiers they have a song that in my opinion sounds like love cats

Anyway, what does everyone think?

The Cure (its the chorus I think that does it)

Hoosiers

Edited by Cocker

Ahh, I hadn't heard that song before*, that does sound very similar. I think I'd use the term 'rip-off' instead of 'sound-like' though. ;)

I actually don't associate The Cure with a sound like Lovecats anyway, so that's probably why I couldn't hear it to begin with. I love the Boys Don't Cry album (actually listening to it as we speak), it's far more 'raw' (almost punk at times) than things like Lovecats. Jumping Someone Else's Train and So What are brilliant tracks off that, and the version of Boys Don't Cry is far better than the one released as a single, and the one that appears on best ofs/greatest hits type things.

*Edit: When I say 'that song', I mean The Hooisers one obviously. The only one I know is the one that's played on TV all the time for some reason, it has a lyric like "I'm starting to worry about..." in the chorus, or something along those lines.

Edited by LeChuck

Anything but The Ting Tings, my word what a terrible name and their 'music' is even worse than their name.

Agree with you there. Again, only heard one of their songs but they sound like bloody Daphne and Celeste

MGMT were interesting, the set was both excellent and pretty awful in places, although the good moments definitely outnumbered the bad. The album stuff all sounded good but at times they veered towards prog rock a little too much and that 14 minute non-album song/jam towards the end was excruciating. Still, they are a very good live act and there were a lot of highlights in the set. Good to see a band getting up there and having a good time. Just need to rein in certain tendencies...

I think I'm one of the few who finds the Wombats truly awful.

Off to see MGMT on Tuesday, should be good.

That explains why you don't like the Wombats!

Anything but The Ting Tings, my word what a terrible name and their 'music' is even worse than their name.

Tings Tings are ok, they play catchy tunes. Although the Chris Moyles 'Fat Sue' remix is quality.

i had a discussion with a mate of mine,who is a drummer.i wanted to know who the best drummer is?i reckon its Akira Jimbo he says Thomas Lang.

what do you guys think?

Animal from the muppets no question

On another note, I have listened to a couple of tunes from the new Weller album. While none that I have heard are anything special it will probably still get bought and stuck in the sunday morning album list.

Edited by Cocker

MGMT were interesting, the set was both excellent and pretty awful in places, although the good moments definitely outnumbered the bad. The album stuff all sounded good but at times they veered towards prog rock a little too much and that 14 minute non-album song/jam towards the end was excruciating. Still, they are a very good live act and there were a lot of highlights in the set. Good to see a band getting up there and having a good time. Just need to rein in certain tendencies...

I've been after a song I heard a while back but didn't know whom it was or what the title was, only found out what it was today 'Time To Pretend - MGMT'. Brilliant song it is as well.

You could have told me. ;)

Just got tickets for Billy Bragg when he plays in Los Angeles in June. Anybody heard his new release?

For a bit of a "retro" evening went to see the Proclaimers a couple of weeks ago. Not a bad evening out and yes, they played that 500 miles song!!

It is a good return. I haven't wanted to slap Chris Martin after hearing that new single yet.

Why do people think that Nickelback song is so great? Has everyone forgotten about real rock music? Am I in a parallel universe where Ace of Spades, Appetite for Destruction and The Who never existed? That Rock Star crap is typical of the MOR whinging arse gravy that people who listen to Kiss FM think is rock. It isn't. It's rubbish that teenagers mums are supposed to like to try and look cool in front of their kids' friends.

Just got tickets for Billy Bragg when he plays in Los Angeles in June. Anybody heard his new release?

For a bit of a "retro" evening went to see the Proclaimers a couple of weeks ago. Not a bad evening out and yes, they played that 500 miles song!!

Did they just play it 20 times...?

Agree with you there. Again, only heard one of their songs but they sound like bloody Daphne and Celeste

To be fair to the Ting Tings, I don't think that you, Cocker, fall within their target audience. Just a guess... :brfcsmilie:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.