BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently been listening to an American band called Rise Against. They are a political group like Rage Against The Machine (who are one of my all time favourite bands), but aren't quite as heavy. Some of their lyrics are fantastic. Check out this song,

. If you like Rage Against The Machine, you should like these guys. Edited by RoyRover

Went to see Ray Davies last night at the Bridgewater Hall, not quite the place I'd have expected to see him but there you go. With one exception Ray played every number you would expect, many reworked and others as raw as they were 40+ years ago, plus many newer songs. Great night with a tremendous musician and song-writer who came across as witty, warm and as original as ever. Cool isn't a word I use often but he struck me as possibly one of the coolest 65 year olds you could meet!

The Charlatans at Crewe tomorrow. Should be great. The smaller the venue and all that...

Whilst we're on about bands that no one likes anymore (or ever did) we (the breadknife and I) took in Motorhead, The Damned and Girlschool at the Manc Apollo 4 weeks ago. Absolutely top notch.

.whilst we're on about bands that no one likes anymore (or ever did) we (the breadknife and I) took in Motorhead, The Damned and Girlschool at the Manc Apollo 4 weeks ago. Absolutely top notch.

I went to this gig. I thought Lemmy was not up for it! Bomber was dreadful! There was a news report the day before that he had been found in a shop doorway in Glasgow asleep early morning. Frankly it showed! Motorhead the year before were fantastic! Sorry to disagree with you!

I went to this gig. I thought Lemmy was not up for it! Bomber was dreadful! There was a news report the day before that he had been found in a shop doorway in Glasgow asleep early morning. Frankly it showed! Motorhead the year before were fantastic! Sorry to disagree with you!

What do you mean Bomber was terrible? They all sound the same anyway!

Oh well, I thought they were better this year than last.

I'm not having that Glasgow door way thing - there's no way he can just sneak off like that.

The Charlatans at Crewe tomorrow. Should be great. The smaller the venue and all that...

Whilst we're on about bands that no one likes anymore (or ever did) we (the breadknife and I) took in Motorhead, The Damned and Girlschool at the Manc Apollo 4 weeks ago. Absolutely top notch.

What were Girlschool like Bob? :huh:

A group i was in supported them many moons ago (early 90s) in Manchester.

They didn`t play their most famous song (was it 'racing with the devil' or something like that??) `cos the guitarist couldn`t play it live! :lol:

They had a gorgeous new bass player (a pretty young thing she was)....the rest were getting a bit ropey tho :unsure:

Still got photos of the band with Girlschool & a few of the gig too B)

• 4 weeks later...

Just got Delphic's album, very good definetley the best album I've er, heard this year (and maybe last year as well)

Just had a listen to this and I'm actually very disappointed. I've been waiting for this for a long time since hearing tales of gigs turning into all night basement raves around Manchester, plus Counterpoint is a great song. My girlfriend saw them play The Warehouse Project a few months back and said they were brilliant as well.

The album is very bland though, it's got no edge to it at all. I don't know who produced it but I think they've gone way too far in making it commercial. I'll give it another go but I feel really let down by it at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sick of feeling disappointed by most offerings from the cardboard cut out bands recently, I decided work my way through the top albums of all time according to Rolling Stone magazine.

RS 500

I'm on Van Morrison, Astral Weeks at the moment. Fantastic

Some fantastic albums here! But wot no Hawkwind!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ackroyd75

Anybody know a good place to buy sold out tickets? I know of getmein.com but they don't have any.

Last week I used seatwave to get Billy Connolly tickets. I don't really like using stuff like tht but it was ok. I paid £40 for each ticket (face value was £25), there was was £13 seatwave fees and £8 postage - arrived by UPS.

It is not ideal but you are protected if the tickets do not arrive - they refund everything.

The other place I have once bought tickets from is Gumtree.

New UK Live Date - Blackburn King George's Hall

Breaking news - The Courteeners have just added a new date to their forthcoming spring tour.

Saturday 13th March - Blackburn King George's Hall

Tickets to the show go on sale Friday 12 February at 9am from all usual ticket outlets.

Did anybody else see Robbie Williams singing live on that BBC dance show final thing tonight? :huh:

A truly truly shocking car-crash of an appearance!! :unsure:

He forgot lines, talked to the audience during the song & ended up waving the mic towards them saying "you sing it"

His backing band was full of good proffessional musicians who sounded great. They must`ve been thinking "Look at this idiot going down the pan!"

Been trying not to like Field Music, but this latest effort has finally won me over. :tu:

This particulr track sounds familiar, like about five songs I already know, but cannot put me finger on them. Middle eight lacks a little, but otherwise, a hugely enjoyable tune.

I don't really read this thread but presume people have a reasonably wide interest in music. Last night we went to see The Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain which probably sounds like a very bizare way to avoid Casualty on the box. Having very little idea of what to expect we had a great, if somewhat strange evening, entertained by seven very talented ukelele players. For the show they have taken footage from silent film, not movies, found in the British Film Institute and set the music to match the film. Now I know how this sounds slightly odd (!) but it is highly entertaining, very funny in places and there is no doubt these people can play. If you get the chance to see them do so, make sure the performance is called "Ukelelescope."

Ukelelescope

Edited by Paul

On a plane recently I watched Bill Bailey's Remarkable Guide to the Orchestra on the in-flight telly and thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of it. Funny and informative, lots of little insights about the workings of the orchestra and some cracking music to boot.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.