BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

Listening to Crystal Castles oddly self-titled second album (odd as the first album was also self-titled :huh: ) and have to say it's brilliant but certainly an acquired taste.

The lead single

is tune of the year for me so far.
  • Like 1

Crystal Castles are awesome have seen them twice

If you guys wouldn't mind checking out my bands new songs (If anyone has a problem with electronic music don't click)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrqLtaS-EJI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKx_DOi5kqs

Yeah, I have plans to see them when they tour this time around.

Nice tunes btw mate, I had a brief affair making tracks on Reason a while back but didn't come close to those, keep up the good work.

Disappointed because I used to feel that he has one genuinely brilliant album in him, but it looks unlikely that it'll ever happen. What's the new track like? What kind of stuff of his is it similar to?

Perhaps a good sign of the track is that it has gone straight in to number 1 in the US billboard - 1 of only 16 artists to ever manage it in 52 years! Must be doing something right eh! B)

Perhaps a good sign of the track is that it has gone straight in to number 1 in the US billboard - 1 of only 16 artists to ever manage it in 52 years! Must be doing something right eh! B)

Who are the other 15?

I bet at least half of them are garbage.

Edited by LeChuck

Who are the other 15?

I bet at least half of them are garbage.

Of the 16 debuts at No. 1, 10 of them came between 1995 and 1998. Until the end of 1998, a song could only chart on the Hot 100 if it was released as a commercially available single...so previously it was easier - as now he's only been on digital purchases, not commerical shop sales!!

Number-one debuts

Michael Jackson — "You Are Not Alone" (September 2, 1995)

Mariah Carey — "Fantasy" (September 30, 1995)

Whitney Houston — "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)" (November 25, 1995)

Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men — "One Sweet Day" (December 2, 1995)

Puff Daddy and Faith Evans featuring 112 — "I'll Be Missing You" (June 14, 1997)

Mariah Carey — "Honey" (September 13, 1997)

Elton John — "Candle in the Wind 1997" / "Something About the Way You Look Tonight" (October 11, 1997)

Céline Dion — "My Heart Will Go On" (February 28, 1998)

Aerosmith — "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" (September 5, 1998)

Lauryn Hill — "Doo Wop (That Thing)" (November 14, 1998)

Céline Dion and R. Kelly — "I'm Your Angel" (December 5, 1998)

Clay Aiken — "This Is the Night" (June 28, 2003)

Fantasia — "I Believe" (July 10, 2004)

Carrie Underwood — "Inside Your Heaven" (July 2, 2005)

Taylor Hicks — "Do I Make You Proud" (July 1, 2006)

Britney Spears — "3" (October 24, 2009)[2]

Eminem — "Not Afraid" (May 2010)[3]

Even if you hold the view that Paul Wellers music since he disbanded The Jam is all crap, I urge you to listen to the latest album, Wake Up The Nation.

On first listen, it is very confusing, lots of dischord, bizarre key and tempo changes and musical styles from everywhere. But after about five or six listens, it all begins to make sense.

Many differing influences/styles can be heard throughout-Scott Walker, Little Richard, Bowie, Grunge (MBVs Kev Sheilds appears on it), orchestral, kitchen sink...etc

Not enough hours in the day to listen to it!

Anybody got any opinions on the new MGMT album?

First time I heard it I was disgusted at how self-indulgent and deliberately alienating it sounded. They've been kind of nausiating trying to emphasize how uncommercial they consider themselves to be, like they're embarassed at how uncool it has made them.

However, I've listened to it a lot more in the past month and it has really grown on me. Not all of it works, for sure, but there are some very good songs on there. I'm especially a fan of "Flash Delirium" and "Brian Eno" is a lot of fun. "Siberian Breaks" is ambitious in that it's 13 minutes long right in the middle of the album and is effectively split into about four songs - I don't think it completely pulls it off but it's a little different.

I was far too late onto the first album so the likes of "Time to Pretend" and "Kids" were never anthems of my summer or anything. So I suppose it was a lot easier for me to make the transition. I imagine the new album will have really put a few people off though.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to an unsigned band showcase at the O2 academy in Liverpool last night. I went to watch a great Blackburn band called The Scene. They went down very well & hopefully it will springboard them on to bigger & better things B) (i know two of the lads are Rovers fans too :rover: )

Whilst there , i caught a band from Widnes called 'The Odds'......they were the best up & coming band i`ve seen for a long long time. Good strong songs, excellent vocalist & musicianship & they looked the part too :tu: i spoke to the singer afterwards & he came across as a proper genuine lad too.

The Odds......you heard it here first! ;)

Edited by cletus

The Coral are back, with a new album next month and 6music have been playing 1000 years, which is excellent-Reminds me a bit of CSNY. Loved The Coral from the start, esp the early Scouse Psycho Sea Shanty stuff. But this new stuff is a lot more....grown up?

Edited by ozziejones

I went to see Rage Against The Machine on Tuesday night at the 02 Arena in Dublin. It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Really powerful stuff. They played all the classics which is exactly what you want to hear, including People Of The Sun, Testify, Guerilla Radio, Killing In The Name Of and my personal favourite Know Your Enemy. An all round great night that fully justified the pretty hefty 70 euro I dropped on the tickets.

The Coral are back, with a new album next month and 6music have been playing 1000 years, which is excellent-Reminds me a bit of CSNY. Loved The Coral from the start, esp the early Scouse Psycho Sea Shanty stuff. But this new stuff is a lot more....grown up?

Haven't been to keen on any of the albums since the first one to be honest, but have bought them all and will probably give this one a listen just to see.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.