BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

Went to see a mini festival in Brighton on Saturday mainly to see The Wedding Present headlining (they organised it). Took my boys (daughter still a bit young for mosh pits), and the best bits were going on the rides on Brighton Pier between acts.

Saw German band Klee (very good) and The Ukrainians, who were hugely entertaining; one of them is The Wedding Present's original guitarist "Grapper".

There was another of their ex-guitarists there too (Paul Dorrington) and I wondered it we'd end up with one or both onstage with them, but that doesn't seem to be their kind of thing. In fact, they seem to have acquired yet another new guitarist (I thought I'd read Simon Cleave was back, but no, there's a roadie who took over from the other roadie who took over from Simon) and are now losing their bass player of 10 years too. Not quite The Fall, but getting that way.

The Wedding Present themselves just played their album "Bizarro", one of my personal all time faves. I'm not sure about gigs where bands just play an album (Pixies playing Doolittle was similar) as it just feels a bit like watching a tribute band. Still, some enjoyable jumping around and a powerful set of songs which bring back plenty of fond memories.

Other than that there were some smaller acts playing in the bar, including one chap with a rather nasty song called "the day Thatcher dies" which had a few blokes singing along with oddly smug vicious smiles. Nice.

Not as good as their last album, which tbh was overrated anyway. They're a bit like Radiohead - critical darlings who could release any old tosh and it would instantly get 5-star reviews by the self appointed 'serious' music press.

After a few more listens it's really starting to grow on me, thought they were great live from what i saw on the highlights of Reading/Leeds.

After a few more listens it's really starting to grow on me, thought they were great live from what i saw on the highlights of Reading/Leeds.

I'll give it a few more listens then. Just downloaded 'Another City, Another Sorry' by The Answering Machine - good stuff. Just got the Klaxons new one too which I'm looking forward to hearing.

Excited about Muse tomorrow. Decent supports too - Pulled Apart By Horses and Band Of Skulls. Not very keen on Editors though - it's almost as if they're trying to sound like Ian Curtis fronting Coldplay.

Saw Muse and the Chemical Brothers plus a few others in Krakow recently. Both were incredible for differerring reasons. Also bought Massive Attack 'Mezzanine' from 1997 yesterday in a local record store (I live in Newcastle) for £2.99 it was £13 in HMV well pleased!

Went to see Proud Mary on Friday night, a band thats been around since 2000 with different members, but always kept the lead singer. A cross between Bob Dylan and The Band/The verve, a winning combination if I ever saw one.

Quality gig at sound control in Manchester, about 100 people there, very intimate and really enjoyable.

Saw an unsigned band also, Richard Dutton and the So So’s, good tunes and hope they do well, have a listen on myspace.

I've been listening to John Mayer's most recent album, Battle Studies. It's another exceptional piece of work. His song Heartbreak Warfare is one of the best I've heard in while.

Two other songs of his that I've been loving over the past few months are off his live in L.A album, Where The Light Is. In Your Atmosphere and his cover of Tom Petty's Free Fallin' are just great.

Edited by RoyRover

Went to see Proud Mary on Friday night, a band thats been around since 2000 with different members, but always kept the lead singer. A cross between Bob Dylan and The Band/The verve, a winning combination if I ever saw one.

Quality gig at sound control in Manchester, about 100 people there, very intimate and really enjoyable.

Saw an unsigned band also, Richard Dutton and the So So’s, good tunes and hope they do well, have a listen on myspace.

Loved There first album, You cant tell that they are heavily inspired by Creedance clearwater revival.

Very blusy rock feel, Also the first band that signed for big brother records(oasis label).

It's a shame they are mancs really, As soon as you say manc indie band everyone expects a copy of either The Smiths/Stone Roses/Oasis.

If you dont sound like one of them nobody wants to know.

I have the 10" vinyl version of Preposterous Tales, bloody great band. The B side has two tracks-Three English Football Grounds, which broodily describes Millwall, Bolton and someone else in a really eerie way, backed by a sinister groove track. The other track is called Spocks Brain. A song about aliens stealing Spocks [Lead character in Star Trek TV series and films]brain.

Edited by ozziejones

Just got a box set of the first 5 "Echo & The Bunnymen's LPs for £8.

Maximum joy.

Also got a CD of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" which I first bought when it was released in 1973.

I'm obviously entering my dotage.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.