BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

Steve Gibbons is playing in Clitheroe on wednesday night, in the Cross Keys (or Key Street, whatever it's called these days), free entry I believe. I think it's a solo gig, as opposed th the SG Band.

Definately worth a look, if that's your sort of thing.

I'm into Wolfmother these days, I believe they are from Australia?

Anyway, was planning on seeing them on Roskilde festival, but it turned out to be impossible, so bought the cd and have enjoyed it since. Very good vocals and a bit similar to a lot of good rock bands.. (favourite song atm being Mind's Eye)

They've opened a lot of Pearl Jam gigs too, but unfortunately they decided to fly out Tarantula Ad instead - for the Prague concert I attended ..

Oh, and I can't stop writing about Roky Erickson, absolute legend.

Edited by herbergeehh

Not over keen on Wolfmother, sound a bit rawk for me.

Was at cohesion live in Manc on saturday, Elbow were fantastic, if you are at all interested and ever get the chance to see them, don't hesistate, they are as good as you could hope live. Badly drawn boy was better than i expected, particularly his new song Born in the U.K., which was brilliant. Coxon was good, new band Snowfight in the city centre were really good too

Also saw Get cape. Wear cape. Fly on friday and they were great too

Live music is brilliant

Hmmm....yeah, I`ve given the new Kasabian album a few listens, & i`ve got to say it`s not jumping onto my cd player anymore. I`ll give it another listen in a week or so, just to see if it`s a 'grower'. :(

Must admit to being disappointed with the Kasabian effort although because I have tickets for Fri gig in Detroit I have given it a few more listens than I would have normally and it is a slight grower but not on a par with the first album.

Was at cohesion live in Manc on saturday, Elbow were fantastic, if you are at all interested and ever get the chance to see them, don't hesistate, they are as good as you could hope live. Badly drawn boy was better than i expected, particularly his new song Born in the U.K., which was brilliant. Coxon was good, new band Snowfight in the city centre were really good too

Also saw Get cape. Wear cape. Fly on friday and they were great too

Live music is brilliant

Was that the weekend just gone??.... i didnt realise. I wouldnt mind checking out Snowfight heard quite abit about them being a good local band.

kasabian are a poor man's primal scream...the first album was pretty good though, the second album is pants.

Can kinda see where your coming from, first Kasabian album reminds me of the 'Xterminator' era of the Scream.

Still think Kasabian are ok, they have more potential than the new album shows.

Edited by starscascade

Was that the weekend just gone??.... i didnt realise. I wouldnt mind checking out Snowfight heard quite abit about them being a good local band.

Yeah it was, a great event, apart from the absolutely outrageous queues for the bar ( about an hour!)

Wandered over to Snowfight not knowing anything about them and stayed til the end, was definitely impressed, reckon they would be excellent in a small venue, I would highly recommend going to see them. I think they are playing at the roadhouse in October, you can check 'em out on myspace

Anyone going to see maximo park in manchester on sunday???

I don't have a ticket but will go down anyway to try and get in

Heard they are fantstic live

Listening to:-

The Rifles - no love lost

Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

Bluetones - The Bluetones

Kooks - Inside In / Inside Out

All Good Albums :tu:

anyone who's into indie check out a band called howling bells from australia. a few of you mightve heard of them, sooo much better than the rest of the @#/? that gets pumped out of that country (jet, wolfmother etc).

Just listened to a tune called setting sun with a woman singer - is this them? (Sounded good if it wasnt anyway)

I bought that Kooks album the other week and was quite impressed with it.

Having completed the redocaration of part of the new house, I've unpacked all my old CD's this weekend. In the car now I have the Temptations, The White Stripes - De Stijl (my favourite), The Jam - All mod cons, Carter USM - 30something, Neds Atomic Dustbin and Gomez.

There is nothing better than getting all your old CD's out every now and then. Even they are mostly crap.

I love The Secret Machines, anyone who hasnt heard them, they are really worth checking out. The most recent album 'Ten Silver Drops' is their best yet!

Saw them live a year and a half ago. Decent band. I'm a fan of "Alone, Jealous And Stoned" in particular.

I think so. I remember a rejigged Enjoy the Silence being released, with a pretty good animated video.

Thanks.

Have got a re-mix depeche mode cd. Don`t know if it`s the same one, as i downloaded it, but it`s good. :tu:

Have you heard Tori Amos version of 'Enjoy the Silence' or Smashing Pumpkins version of 'Never let me down again'? Both quite cool versions ;)

I always find Tori Amos an annoying ginger bint. Can't see why everyone raves on about her, but there you go. I've ordered that CD anyway, along with a Tchikovsky and Beethoven CD, thus trebbling my collection of classical CDs (the other being some pieces by Rachmaninov).

Classical music should not be so readily scorned.

Don't know what rawk mean tbh.. anyway, 'Colossal', 'Mind's Eye' and 'Where Eagles Have Been' are three songs I really like from their album. Especially the vocal attracts me, without taking it too far he sounds a bit like Robert Plant, at least in the latter two songs mentioned above.

The man below is also someone you should check out, if you're into that kind of thing. A bit Danko Jones, without being that much of a prick. Anyway, fantastic guitarist and great live show.

Some songs under 'media' here

Just bought the new Bob Dylan album ~ Modern Times. Haven't bought a Dylan album for maybe 15 years, it's a bit like being a lapsed catholic (I'm one of those as well).

Great album, a very different Dylan musically and some great lyrics. Looks like I may 15 years of catching up to do. Buy it.

Any old fogies know if he has plans to tour the UK with this band?

Just bought the new Bob Dylan album ~ Modern Times. Haven't bought a Dylan album for maybe 15 years, it's a bit like being a lapsed catholic (I'm one of those as well).

Great album, a very different Dylan musically and some great lyrics. Looks like I may 15 years of catching up to do. Buy it.

Any old fogies know if he has plans to tour the UK with this band?

You cant go wrong with his previous two albums either; "Love and Theft" and "Time Out of Mind". He really has been in a creative purple patch the last 10 years, and is well worth seeing live.

Also, saw Ryan Adams last night. A very underrated writer and performer who is so much better than many more hyped singer songwriters of recent years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.