BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] So Just Where Are All The Ex-rovers?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree wholehearedly that Arena has no idea. As far as US Soccer goes they are indeed stuck with underdeveloped coaches, an indifferent media, and a lack of a youth set up. Our failures in my eyes are much greater. England is expected to win every tournament they enter and haven't for 40+ years now. Our youth set up is going well but we still don't have it working properly as our players still get rumbled in the big games for being technically deficient. I get so tired of defending England. What can I say to defend us? Americans can say "it's not our sport". We can't. Our overinflated expectations ruin us every time. It won't be as apparent to you as you live in England where the majority feel the same way but I get it every day.

Does this need a separate topic? "World Football: compare and discuss"

Good points there. What I see as the major failing in the English youth system is that the game in England is more physcial, with more of an emphasis on strength than on technical attributes. This is shown up in the relative paucity of creative players available for England, as opposed to Spain, or France. While I still feel that England underperformed because of tactical problems and poor selection during the World Cup, another worry is that England rarely looked to have that creative spark that teams like Italy, Spain or Argentina seemed to have. This was most evident against Portugal, but showed in other matches during the competition. Maybe the clubs need to send all their youth players playing in bare feet against the Reserves on concrete :)

Totally agree with you Philly Rover on this one. It certainly has got nothing to do with this thread, as we already have established the whereabouts of the 2 (? Correct me if i'm wrong) Americans related to Rovers.

Speedie

Wembley is a money issue caused by soime clown giving a contract to an Australian firm.

Sven simply was mistaken if he ever thought he could win the World Cup with the squad he picked and TFFT he didnt take over at Ewood.

USA v England ? only one winner and aint the Yankee football wannabees.

Yes we had a poor World Cup but not half as bad as the USA.

The remark wasnt a dig more of an observation. Big fat Bruce doesnt know what he is doing like the people in the background of the USA football system.

And in any case, back over here, I would rather have our failures than Americas

What is with you and America, has McDonalds made you fat or something?

Edited by USABlue

ACCRINGTON: Leam Richardson

BALLYMENA: Garth Scates

BACUP: David May (Assistant Manager)

BARNET: Paul Warhurst

BLYTH SPARTANS: Graham Fenton (Caretaker/player-manager)

BURY: Alan Fettis

CELTIC: Terry Gennoe (Goal-keeping coach)

DUMFERLIME: Lee Makel

EGERSUNDS IK: Jimmy Quinn (Manager)

GLENTORAN: Gary Hamilton

MAN CITY: Tim Flowers (Goal-keeping coach)

NEWCASTLE: Shay Given, Dean Saunders (Coach, despite the sacking of Souness??)

NEWINGTON COLLEGE: Robbie Slater (Director of coaching) continued below

SHEFF WED: Graham Coughlan

STALYBRIDGE CELTIC: Mark Atkins (Assistance coach)

TRANMERE: Jason McAteer

VALERENGA: Lars Bohinen (Assistant Coach)

WHITBY: Adam Reed

WYCOMBE WANDERERS: Frank Talia

DAVID BATTY: Retired in 2004 and does a lot of work for charties. Works in adverts for Cancer Research.

MARTIN DAHLIN: All Rovers fans will know that he is retired and models his own fashion range and runs a FIFA registered player agency from offices in London.

TONY GALE: Retired and now working in the Media end of things, contributing to Fulham and West Ham websites.

GRAEME LE SAUX: Again working with the Media and usually with BBC. Crap pundit IMO.

STUART RIPLEY: Retired in 2002. Returned to academia, reading a BA/BSC honours degree in Law and French at the University of Central Lancashire. Turns out in the veteran Masters football tournaments, is contemplating a career as a lawyer or barrister after he graduates. "This course has given me a new goal after football," he said. "And now I have some form of long-term objective – which is important."

TIM SHERWOOD: Retired and now set-up a magazine and mailed soley to football clubs and footballers titled 'Icon'. It will give interviews of present & past players and giving a look into their homes. Interviews with WAGS will also be included. Could be tacky or indeed maybe could end up being a success.

ROBBIE SLATER: Retired and has set-up his own web-site where he writes articles in relation to Australian Leagues and general views on the world of football. If memory serves me correctly I think Groobs had him adding his views on Emerton when he joined the club.

ROY WEGERLE: Retired in 1998. Now plying his trade as a golfer and got his place in 'Alfred Dunhill Championship' in Johannesburg and also at the World Ice Golf Championship in Greenland in 2002.

JASON WILCOX: Looking for a club after Blackpool released him at the end of last season. Will probably retire now though!

sorry about a few of the repeats lads. Left my reply for a while and only sent it not too long ago and have repeated a few of the players since.! :o

Just one small correction RG; Lee Makel left Dunfermline to join Livingston in the close season.

Also does anyone know where Mark Paterson is these days?

Edited by Fife Rover

I agree wholehearedly that Arena has no idea. As far as US Soccer goes they are indeed stuck with underdeveloped coaches, an indifferent media, and a lack of a youth set up. Our failures in my eyes are much greater. England is expected to win every tournament they enter and haven't for 40+ years now. Our youth set up is going well but we still don't have it working properly as our players still get rumbled in the big games for being technically deficient. I get so tired of defending England. What can I say to defend us? Americans can say "it's not our sport". We can't. Our overinflated expectations ruin us every time. It won't be as apparent to you as you live in England where the majority feel the same way but I get it every day.

Does this need a separate topic? "World Football: compare and discuss"

Where is Left foot Lee Richardson these days?

If you think it's bad over there Speeeeedie, you should try living in Scotland! ;):lol:

1864 - How did England do in last year's World Youth Championships?

Oh yeah, failed to qualify...

The problem with the system as it stands is that the top players fail to improve once they've left our youth system and gone to MLS. They do well there for a couple of years, but they do need to be pushed by taking the next step.

4 years ago, you could write an entire article on Yanks abroad with about 10 players, now I see articles for each country. Convey went to Reading and he has improved by leaps and bounds over the past year or 2. Donovan stayed in MLS and sucked.

I'd take England's failure over the US' this year, but I'd take the US' failure over England's 4 years ago, as we at least went down fighting, and I'd take Klinnsman over McClaren any day of the week.

So, tell me again about how MLS is full of older players. I noticed you conveniently ignored it when I called you on your ignorance.

While I'm on a roll, I'll push this back on topic: Waggy and Mr. 6 - How have all the wonderful younger players we got rid of after you pushed their being given playing time done for their new teams?

1864 - How did England do in last year's World Youth Championships?

Oh yeah, failed to qualify...

The problem with the system as it stands is that the top players fail to improve once they've left our youth system and gone to MLS. They do well there for a couple of years, but they do need to be pushed by taking the next step.

4 years ago, you could write an entire article on Yanks abroad with about 10 players, now I see articles for each country. Convey went to Reading and he has improved by leaps and bounds over the past year or 2. Donovan stayed in MLS and sucked.

I'd take England's failure over the US' this year, but I'd take the US' failure over England's 4 years ago, as we at least went down fighting, and I'd take Klinnsman over McClaren any day of the week.

So, tell me again about how MLS is full of older players. I noticed you conveniently ignored it when I called you on your ignorance.

While I'm on a roll, I'll push this back on topic: Waggy and Mr. 6 - How have all the wonderful younger players we got rid of after you pushed their being given playing time done for their new teams?

why on earth are we talking about american football in this perticular thread??? pls start your own thread to dicuss this stuff.. thanks

EDIT - List on next page. No there doesn't seem to have been a thread like this on here before although there was a recent thread on ex-rovers managers.

Can't seem to find where Yordi is plying his trade, or whether Hakan Unsal or Javier de Pedro have retired. What about the likes of Perez, Marcolin, Andersson, Per Pederson, Valery etc?

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Can't seem to find where Yordi is plying his trade, or whether Hakan Unsal or Javier de Pedro have retired. What about the likes of Perez, Marcolin, Andersson, Per Pederson, Valery etc?

I did check out Valery... The last record I can find, is that he was on Marseille's books during the 2001/02 season. Nothing to be found after that. As far as De Pedro is concerned... Well, according to Wikipedia, he disappeared after a few matches at IFK Gothenburg due to personal problems....