BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] So Just Where Are All The Ex-rovers?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you young uns take the p1ss......... this lad would've walked into the team now.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/...ice_assault.php

Slapped her? I reckon he was just wiping his hand.

I always classed Hird and Bailey as wingers, as such, Jim's Smiths team sometimes turned out with five wingers in the team.

Or is my memory playing tricks on me again :lol:

We could have kept those lads and pushed them into midfield against Bolton. They have all the credentials:

1] they're young

2]

Always amazes me how lads like Gary Stopforth can go from captaining the reserves, which says to me not to far away from being considered for first team.. to playing non-league football within a week.

Also i still play football with Kevin Hird on a regular basis, and I think we should resign him to play in the middle V Bolton on Sunday... ( Yeah he told me to say that). He says he will have a look on here as well in the not to distant future.

Always amazes me how lads like Gary Stopforth can go from captaining the reserves, which says to me not to far away from being considered for first team.. to playing non-league football within a week.

In order to develop footballers have to play in a team. Academy coaches have to have 11 players who are signed on 3 year (with 5 year option if they're deemed good enough) scholarships once they leave school. If they only signed lads who were going to make it there would be about 2 in each academy. They sign players for positions, they sign players with potential, they also sign potential stars who need a team to develop nurturing. The academy only last for 3 years, they have to go somewhere else after that or they don't get a game, the reserves is the next level, and certainly not a good barometer for being close to the first team.

An academy coach will look at who he's got and think "Right, next year I need a left winger, 2 full backs, and a striker." So they go out and get the best they can whether they are currently training with the under 15's or not. Granted if John Barnes, Ashely Cole, Wes Brown, and Shearer signed he'd have 4 stars on his hands who would progress quickly. But more often than not they get decent players who can play that position but don't quite have it but will serve a role, get an experience they'll never forget, a fit bird, no real academic qualifications, and a decent non-league career at the end of it.

If the academy was about developing players to make money and I was a coach, I'd sign every striker around. However, most of them would end up pants as they couldn't all play up front every game; then I'd get the sack. However the academies are supposed to bring on the team of the future, but they never do.

If the academy was about developing players to make money and I was a coach, I'd sign every striker around. However, most of them would end up pants as they couldn't all play up front every game; then I'd get the sack.

LOL!

You're a clearly a very shrewd chap, Speeeeeds.

Also i still play football with Kevin Hird on a regular basis, and I think we should resign him to play in the middle V Bolton on Sunday... ( Yeah he told me to say that). He says he will have a look on here as well in the not to distant future.

Any chance of getting him to do a Q&A for the site?

What a few days for Mark King! He's had terrible injuries over the years which have restricted his reserve chances but was snapped up by Accy Stanley after impressing in a behind-closed-doors friendly and he made his senior debut today. (Stanley lost).

Good luck to him.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I hear Mark Atkins is working on a building site in Sheffield and may be featured in Sky's 'Where are they now?' programme shortly. A top guy.

I thought he married into the Walker family or have I got it completely wrong?

"I've joined a club that's building for the future and trying to get where Everton are," said Carsley.

Don't really see Big Club reaching the heady heights of where Everton are, for a long time, if ever.

Don't really see Big Club reaching the heady heights of where Everton are, for a long time, if ever.

I was just reading the article where Savage says he wanted Big Club to be relegated again. At the bottom there is a comment by a Mr Kunal Patel a Manchester United fan that I enjoyed:

I think it's shocking how he is really willing them to go down. I'm sure they paid him reasonably well and gave him premier league football. He blatantly used them as a stepping stone towards a bigger team...like Blackburn

I was reading an edition of Lancashire Life yesterday. It was last years edition, but there was an article about Craig Short in it.

He talked about his 6 yrs at Blackburn and said they were the 6 best years of his life. He also recalled living on a boat in the Lakes and driving down to Brockhall for training, then returning afterwards. He never liked golfing like most other players and always loved sailing. He's now [or was last year] running a sailing school at Windermere. He's also taking a coaching badge as back up, in case he ever feels the need to go back into football.

Edited by den