BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Deal For Mokoena?

den

Unfortunately the blunt "Axe" has 2 years not 1 year left on his contract. I'm surprised there has not been more comment (or indeed any) on this MB for allowing Scholes a free header - the player he was supposedly marking at the corner. It's not as if this this is the first time it's happened this season in the relatively few (thank God) appearances he has made. Ronaldo's header at OT was another but there have been others.

The saddest thing is that there are fans who use this messageboard who are happy to criticise Keith Treacy for not reaching the mark on his debut, whilst remain absolutely quiet re Mokoena and his growing list of blunders.

That's what you call hypocricy and embarrassing levels of pride.

It's no coincidence that the people who are staying quiet on Mokoena are those who were arguing vehemently that he's a decent Premier LEague holding midfielder.

Just glancing through the earlier posts on this thread, posters such as Philipl, Scotty and Fife Rover were all challenging me and arguing that Mokoena is a good, useful player, deserving of his extended contract. Have you guys changed your mind and realised that he was a Jon Stead - an inadequate player who did a job in the circumstances but by no means should remain for too long?

Edited by rover6

Rover6 are you seriously suggesting that Mokoena and Treacy are the same type of player? The reason that Treacy is not in the first team squad is because his performances for the Reserves have been average to say the least. I sometimes wonder if the people who are demanding that the youngsters in the Reserves be given a chance at first team level have actually watched them play. As one who watches Reserve team football I don't believe that there is one young player at the moment who is better than any of the senior squad. I think that Nielsen and Olsson have a chance of making the grade, while Judge is a player of promise.

However, I can understand why the likes of Mokoena and Berner are important to Hughes. He wants experience and players who can perform at Premiership level to act as backup. I agree, Aaron has not had the best of seasons but then Samba, Nelsen, McCarthy and Pedersen have also been very disappointing this term.

Having watched a great deal of Reserve and Academy football the one thing I feel certain about is that if we have to rely on the youngsters at the club at first team level then we are in trouble!

The saddest thing is that there are fans who use this messageboard who are happy to criticise Keith Treacy for not reaching the mark on his debut, whilst remain absolutely quiet re Mokoena and his growing list of blunders.

It wasn't criticism of Treacy, it was an observation. Would you disagree with those observations. As for Mokoena, you wont find any comments on here saying what a good footballer he is. Some people think he occassionally does a good job in the last 25 mins or so, when we need to defend a lead.

Trouble is, that you use Mokoena as a benchmark football wise, to judge another players ability. That's absolutely crackers.

The reason that Treacy is not in the first team squad is because his performances for the Reserves have been average to say the least.

So, he's about the same level as Moko?

So, he's about the same level as Moko?

Personally, I'd take Aaron over Treacy any day of the week. At least with Aaron you get effort, Treacy gives the impression of not really being all that bothered and drifts in and out of games. He has all the ability in the world but it's his application that I question. He could and should be knocking on the first team door, particularly when Pedersen has been so poor for much of the season. That he isn't suggests that the management have reservations about him.

rover6, the Axe can and does do a job. Treacy is a player I have not seen and like all the players pushing for Prem places (olsson and Peter immediately come to mind) has been unavailable at precisely the moment the opportunity would have been available (red cards and injuries). Treacy was crap when the whole team was crap against Coventry.

I have laid Saturday against Hughes- cardinal rule is you don't make substitutions when defending dangerous set pieces.

Nelsen saying he didn't have chance to organise the defense is tantamount to criticism of the substitution and you can be sure that Queeroz and RFW will have coached their lot to whip it in fast immediately the opposition has just subbed. The camera at the Nuttall Street/Darwen End corner shows Axe arriving in the box from the bench and look around for his man as Scholes is back heading it to Tevez. Axe is not to blame for that unless he had been specifically told to get on the little ginger one from the corner.

• 1 year later...

Is it time for certain people to munch on some humble pie, after re-reading this thread? I've done plenty of humble pie-ing myself, in the past, so you guys....take it away... B)

BTW: Pompey fans have twigged Moko, taken from a Pompey forum:

"He's got to be the worst captain since John Lathan way back in the 1970's.

I cannot see what he gives the side , he hasn't got a first touch , he loses possession , he can't pass , turned easily when defending but he makes a loverly cup of tea though."

I think that history will show that Mokoena was one of the worst footballers to wear a Rovers first team shirt regularly. He was in the right place at the right time and has made his millions from that. Objectively speaking, he is a dreadful player.

(Although, I do admire his self-belief. It takes something special to get away with such ineptitude. In fact, it's his self-belief that's the only thing keeping him at this level. His ability to disregard the reality of his crapness is almost George Bush-esque.)

Edited by rover6

"What on Earth is going on between Hart and Mokoena? Are they lovers or something?

Get him OFF Hart, he is absolutely useless"

"He must close his eyes, swing his leg and hope for the best every time he's got the ball, it's embarressing."

"sometimes I don't beleive the luck some people have. I mean just think of Mokoena - he's the most completely useless and horrible piece of CRAP I've ever seen ! "

:lol: As you say rover6, highly rated on the south coast.

Edited by Cookiemonster

Played 7, lost 7 - ouch!

Hart will surely go in the next week or so.....

I hope not, the longer he is there the better for clubs around them , there are some bad clubs this year, i really feel there are at least 5 or 6 clubs that could well go down, but i feel pompey regardless of which manager they have will still go down unless they inject some brass into the club.

• 1 month later...

PompeyOnline:

"Yebda was injured.

I'd rather an injured Yebda than Mokoena.

I'd rather Eugene Bopp than Mokoena.

I'd rather a wheelie bin than Mokoena.

The bloke's a liability of the highest order - Hart has got this one seriously wrong - I think he thinks Mokoena will turn it round - major flaw in this thinking is that Mokoena has NEVER been good enough for the Prem and this is probably some of the best form he's ever displayed..."

Phil and parsonblue, still think that Moko is a useful Premier League footballer...?

• Like 1

He clearly sees him as a squad player capable of doing a job.

Hughes is signalling loyalty to those players who do a job for him. He is making it that bit harder for others to walk out.

Hardly a resounding vote of support from me to the Axe was it?

Phil and parsonblue, still think that Moko is a useful Premier League footballer...?

I thought he played well today, especially in the first half.

It was also nice that he was applauded from all parts of the ground when he was subbed.

• Like 1

I thought he played well today, especially in the first half.

It was also nice that he was applauded from all parts of the ground when he was subbed.

Sorry but he contributed absolutely zilch today and Pompey and their supporters must now know that...

HE IS AND NEVER WILL BE A PREMIER LEAGUE FOOTBALLER!

I applauded him also but only because he is a decent human being and I felt sorry for him.

People have short memories.

He cost £300K? He and The Admiral were key in our battle against relegation when he arrived and for that Rovers fans should be grateful, ironically enough The Axe has ALWAYS been a premier league footballer!! :blush:

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

People have short memories.

He cost £300K? He and The Admiral were key in our battle against relegation when he arrived and for that Rovers fans should be grateful, ironically enough The Axe has ALWAYS been a premier league footballer!! :blush:

Apart from when he played in Belgium :P

• Like 2

Moko had a very good game today, particularly in the first half. He sat in front of the back four and did what he did for us - broke up play and protected the back four - something which our midfielders have failed to do so far this season. Like 92er I was pleased to see he got such good reception for the Rovers' fans. Clearly rover6, they appreciate a player who, despite his limitations, always gave 100 per cent for the the team.

Sorry but he contributed absolutely zilch today and Pompey and their supporters must now know that...

HE IS AND NEVER WILL BE A PREMIER LEAGUE FOOTBALLER!

I applauded him also but only because he is a decent human being and I felt sorry for him.

Obviously you did not watch the first half yesterday as he was the main reason Dunn was a spectator for the first half. As I commented on the pompey thread earlier today there was one instance in the first half when Dunn was on a run and the Axe committed a foul to prevent a shooting opportunity. Should have been booked. Now compare that with Pompey's goal and wonder if O'Hara would have had as much space if an Axe type player was wearing blue and white.

Rovers tactical change at half time meant that the Axe's contribution faded in the second half.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.