BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andre Ooijer Signs !

Got out of bed on the wrong side today Chukie? Or has daddy confiscated your favorite toy?

I don't know or care as niether really make any sense in context. Quite an ironic clichéd and childish reply though.

My post was meant to be more jokey than anything Fife, and not necessarily aimed at you, it's just every thread is getting dominated by how poor little Rovers are being bullied by the big bad referees (even though sometimes they're applying the law correctly), yours was just the one that finally made me feel the need to write something. I hope not many other fans come in here and read all the snivelling, it would be quite embarrassing.

The usual cry is 'big club bias' etc, which may hold some weight, but the incidents this season have been against clubs no bigger than ourselves...so this time it's just referees hate Rovers, which is obviously not true. We've just been unfortunate enough to be on the end of some poor decisions by incompentent officials. We've also had a few in our favour, but lets not let those spoil the delusions eh.

Would you care to expand on what the 'something else' mentioned in your other post would be, Fife? I'd genuinely love to hear it.

Edited by LeChuck

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know or care as niether really make any sense in context. Quite an ironic clichéd and childish reply though.

My post was meant to be more jokey than anything Fife, and not necessarily aimed at you, it's just every thread is getting dominated by how poor little Rovers are being bullied by the big bad referees (even though sometimes they're applying the law correctly), yours was just the one that finally made me feel the need to write something. I hope not many other fans come in here and read all the snivelling, it would be quite embarrassing.

The usual cry is 'big club bias' etc, which may hold some weight, but the incidents this season have been against clubs no bigger than ourselves...so this time it's just referees hate Rovers, which is obviously not true. We've just been unfortunate enough to be on the end of some poor decisions by incompentent officials. We've also had a few in our favour, but lets not let those spoil the delusions eh.

Would you care to expand on what the 'something else' mentioned in your other post would be, Fife? I'd genuinely love to hear it.

Right, now we've got that little misunderstanding out of the way; what I was attempting to do was pose a two way question in the hope of stimulating a bit of genuine mind focusing and discussion.

The "something else" was meant to be an open question to get other peoples thoughts on why we seem to be the recipients of so many dodgy decisions this season. It is a valid question and I would love to hear what other people think about it. Ok now?

The "something else" was meant to be an open question to get other peoples thoughts on why we seem to be the recipients of so many dodgy decisions this season. It is a valid question and I would love to hear what other people think about it.

It's obvious, our players don't appeal as loud as other teams players :ph34r:

Some thoughts:-

Our players don't put pressure on refs like other clubs players do. When they try, they get booked for back chatting. Other clubs players do it en masse and get away with it more often than not.

Think of the number of times we've seen Utd, Chelski, Arsenal players surrounding the ref, giving him greif after he gave a decision against them. How often do our players do that?

I think it's too easy for refs to give bad decisions against us.

The press also make it easy too, refs know they aren't going to get pilloried for making a bad decision against us.

It's obvious, our players don't appeal as loud as other teams players :ph34r:

Some thoughts:-

Our players don't put pressure on refs like other clubs players do. When they try, they get booked for back chatting. Other clubs players do it en masse and get away with it more often than not.

Think of the number of times we've seen Utd, Chelski, Arsenal players surrounding the ref, giving him greif after he gave a decision against them. How often do our players do that?

I think it's too easy for refs to give bad decisions against us.

The press also make it easy too, refs know they aren't going to get pilloried for making a bad decision against us.

That is the nearest to my favorite theory for the problem. I would just add to that the reason is because of numbers of sales of their papers. It wont matter too much if you upset the entire support of Blackburn Rovers as long as you dont upset the supporters of..... (whichever big club).

Edited by Fife Rover

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Big interview with Andre Ooijer in Hollands biggest footie magazine today. I'll get some quotes about his thoughts on Rovers from it later and put them here.

When I read that my first thought was: Hollands Pies do a footie magazine!

Must be lunchtime :)

It was a really nice interview. Not only about Rovers, also about the Dutch National squad.

A few things he mentioned about Rovers:

"When I broke my leg, I was able to get to the sideline. Laying there, Robbie Savage shouted to me that I shouldn't exagerate. When he saw my leg, he knew something was wrong though."

"Blackburn aren't the biggest club of England, but when they would play in the Dutch League, they would be among the top 4 clubs every season."

"Blackburn are very similiar to PSV Eindhoven. A very warm, gentle club."

"When I was at Rovers, in the beginning, some lads tried to make a fool out of me in the dressing room. That's probably what every newbie gets, but at a certain point I stood up and felt it should be over. I didn't want to be everybody's aim for jokes."

"The difference between Holland and England is the biggest when it comes to club-rules. Over here, the mentality is much more laid-back. If you feel like taking a walk, you can take a walk. In Holland, when you're one minute late for team-lunch, you get fined. Here in England, things aren't that strict; if you don't feel like having lunch, you don't!"

"There are a few 'sharks' in the squad" (who should he mean?!)

• 1 month later...

Would be nice if they'd make a 1 million bid for him IMO...I was never really happy with this signing in the first place, he's old, in his last contract year, and if we got that we'd get most of our money back for him. Plenty of other options to cover, and we could even have another expert Hughesy gamble on a new young centre half (he seems to be damned good at that!)

He's a good player and he's done well for us, but I also would take money for him at this point. He is old and we have Zurab who can step up to fill that role, as well as Henchoz as extra cover. It would be nice to sell him and bring in a younger player.

I quite like Ooijer, but he's 33 and not first choice. Meaning that both the club and Andre himself may well benefit from a transfer in January. That being said though, I believe he's very useful to us as backup for both Samba/Nelsen and Emerton, and did a good job at both RB and CB this season when asked to step in, so we should only sell if we have someone of similar quality or better lined up, or if Hughes believes one of the youngsters can step up. And I quite doubt that really. Not many players of Ooijers quality around for £1m.

I see that the "Football Manager" play station generation are out in force on this thread.

And why is that? It's called financial prudence. Not being first choice right now, he's a bit unlikely to make the position his own, and although, yes, some centre halves do play on til 36 or so, most are over the hill by about 33. Also, since he isn't first choice, how likely is he to want to sign a new contract? He will be aware himself that his last few years are upon him, and he is liable to want to play them out rather than sit them out. Therefore, a sale now for a mill, helping to fund a youthful replacement, would represent good business versus letting him go for nothing at the end of the season. Do you have a reason I'm wrong that doesn't involve computer games, which nobody else brought up?

Besides, I've never been massively impressed with him. He's quality when he's on it, though not the fastest, and he has been pretty poor at times.

He wont be sold - He's reliable, experienced and our 3rd choice centre back and second choice right back! He's done well this year and I'd be concerned to see him go - especially with our other options and priorities lying elsewhere. He's this season's Mokoena for me - much improved from when he played his first few games...

Oh re his contract - I've had a look and although it does expire at the end of the season, Rovers have an option for another year which I expect we will activate in the next few weeks...

:)

Edited by JamieUK

He wont be sold - He's reliable, experienced and our 3rd choice centre back and second choice right back! He's done well this year and I'd be concerned to see him go - especially with our other options and priorities lying elsewhere. He's this season's Mokoena for me - much improved from when he played his first few games...

Oh re his contract - I've had a look and although it does expire at the end of the season, Rovers have an option for another year which I expect we will activate in the next few weeks...

:)

Didn't know we had an option for another year. That changes it a bit...I still wouldn't be distraught to see him go though if a replacement were lined up.

Didn't know we had an option for another year. That changes it a bit...I still wouldn't be distraught to see him go though if a replacement were lined up.

No, but no-one would be distraught, if we had someone lined up - better than him. You could say that about any player, including Bentley McCarthy and Santa. What's the chances though?

No, but no-one would be distraught, if we had someone lined up - better than him. You could say that about any player, including Bentley McCarthy and Santa. What's the chances though?

Personally I would just trust Hughes to get a decent one in. Of course, that also means that if he doesn't sell Andre, I don't expect I'll be criticising him either, as it will mean he doesn't think he has someone available who can do the job.

And why is that? It's called financial prudence. Not being first choice right now, he's a bit unlikely to make the position his own, and although, yes, some centre halves do play on til 36 or so, most are over the hill by about 33. Also, since he isn't first choice, how likely is he to want to sign a new contract? He will be aware himself that his last few years are upon him, and he is liable to want to play them out rather than sit them out. Therefore, a sale now for a mill, helping to fund a youthful replacement, would represent good business versus letting him go for nothing at the end of the season. Do you have a reason I'm wrong that doesn't involve computer games, which nobody else brought up?

Besides, I've never been massively impressed with him. He's quality when he's on it, though not the fastest, and he has been pretty poor at times.

Agreed. Also have to remember that he's probably on quite high wages. He's a Dutch international signed from a big club, so he's probably in the clubs top 5-10 highest earners despite the fact that he isn't holding down a place in the starting 11. I'm not saying we should put in an effort to sell him, but if someone puts in a reasonable bid, then at his age and given his role I think he can be replaced. I think he's a good player and I like having him as a squad member who's able to step in, but that doesn't mean that we can't look to quite possibly reduce the wage bill and the average age without taking too much of a hit to the quality of the team. It always fits in with the same view I have on Savage and Tugay, replace them when you can afford not to, not when you are in trouble if you don't.

I see that the "Football Manager" play station generation are out in force on this thread.

People may mock the FM games and those that play them, but if you have ever played the games you would realize the scouting system used by the games to generate player stats is in a different league to even the best football clubs

It is quite uncanny how many unknown gems first spotted on the game have devolped into world class stars , players playing in footballing backwaters that only the most avid FM or CM scout would have access too.

I agree with you there Bazza. In fact, I seem to recall Fat Sam saying that he had used it for some things. That isn't to say that any player who is good in FM is good in real life, but certainly there are a good number for whom that is the case. Having said that, I would never suggest that we buy a player purely on the basis of FM.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.