BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andre Ooijer Signs !

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A solid player for us over the years, settled in well after initially looking shaky. He played with an excellent attitude, perhaps the biggest shame is that he never got an injury free run in his favoured position.

The only downside is his transfer fee - £2 million too much. Barring a 'rabbit out of the hat' signing, we're a bit screwed in terms of replacing him. Still that Hughes' fault and not Ooijer's. Cheers André, I hope you get a decent send off in the midst of Tugay-fever - you deserve it.

:rover: been a great signing,starred in the euro's at centre back and was shoved to right back at ewood,still he played his games never moaned and give us great service,remenber when i was in the lower jw,he was out injured and was in a box behind us which the players used/tv use he was going mad when we scored and at full time. shames plenty of the other players who used to frequent that box :brfcsmilie:

I thought we definitely had our money's worth out of him.

If we signed him back in the days when we were pretty well financed I'd totally agree. But because we operate on a shoestring we can't afford to buy a player for millions knowing they're going to walk away for nothing in a few years. It's impossible to sustain being a Premier League club like that unless we get continue to get a Duff/Bentley fee every few years to compensate. Very dangerous game to assume that will happen though.

First few months were pretty shocking, but once he settled in he's been a very dependable player for us, for a good two years or so. However now is probably the time for him to leave, freeing up the wages for the Big Sam revolution.

His versatility in particular has made him a key member of the squad. I shudder to think where we'd have been without him this season, or who'd have played right back.

The only downside is his transfer fee - £2 million too much. Barring a 'rabbit out of the hat' signing, we're a bit screwed in terms of replacing him. Still that Hughes' fault and not Ooijer's.

Should be quite an easy one. Ooijer goes out, we sign Seitiridis on a free. Replacement right back and we've retained a bit of fullback/centreback versatility with signing Givet.

As blueblood says, the wages are the key.

Anyway - cheers Andre, all the best.

Edited by Tugay4England

Thank you, Andre. Been our best defender during certain periods, and always does a good job even when he has to come off the bench. A great team-player.

Now this is the proper way to leave a club, you'd hope others would take notice.

A good honest Pro who has conducted himself in the right way and given his best. Shaky start but worked hard and adapted well. All the best for the future OrangeOOijer. Hope everyone remembers to give him the plaudits he deserves on Sunday.

Guest benmaxwell

God bless you Andre... Be proud of the fact that you put the modern day footballer to shame. Unlike Roque Santa Cruz, you always laid your cards on the table. Respected the club in the eyes of the media, and gave a delightful last interview as a member of the Rovers team to SkySports...

Andre... We were proud to have you as a Rovers player!! :brfcsmilie:

An excellent player I reckon. We would have seen the best of him given an extended run at centre back imo. Good luck to him.

Agreed. A very solid central defender, solid professional and never moaned when played out of position or put on the bench. Crucial goals as well. Good luck back home and thanks for your commitment to, and passion for the club.

All the best for the future Mr Ooijer, a true pro imo. Like many have said already, he never spat the dummy wherever he played and never made a splash on the papers wanting to leave. Big respect to the club and big respect to him.

A leader and he must be popular with the players and management by getting the captains armband only after a few apps. Always steady for us and scored some vital goals for us this season.

Andre has done really well this season at right back, as he is a central defender and is playing out of position. He has been really influencial in our survival battle, and has scored two stoppage time winners this season at Everton and at home to Spurs, albeit from a yard out. He's been a great addition to the club and I hope he does well in the rest of his career.

Emerton can fill in the gab which Andre has left at right back, but Sam really does need to buy another right back to provide some strength in depth in case Emerton is injured.

Better at centre back than full back and better for Holland than for Rovers. He was just looking a class act when he had that bad injury against 'City away. You can't lose the best part of a year out at his age.

As for Emmo going to right back, didn't I read that he'll be out until the late autumn. We'll need somebody in before then. Of course the opptimists will say " But we can play Reidy there " ! I say " Ha"

Guest Vinjay606

I would consider the future to be dependant on certain circumstances but positive remarks from Mr Ooijer. Can't understand this "family club" reference though as the top clubs need a similar atmosphere amongst players/staff to achieve the success they do. Yet do they get bracketed as "family clubs?" Strange though how the LET billboards read "Ooijer-why I'm leaving" like it was some major deal when in reality it isn't. A good performer certainly but it's not like Shearer or Hendry just left is it?

I would consider the future to be dependant on certain circumstances but positive remarks from Mr Ooijer. Can't understand this "family club" reference though as the top clubs need a similar atmosphere amongst players/staff to achieve the success they do. Yet do they get bracketed as "family clubs?" Strange though how the LET billboards read "Ooijer-why I'm leaving" like it was some major deal when in reality it isn't. A good performer certainly but it's not like Shearer or Hendry just left is it?

No he has not given any assurances to the fans then bogged off a week later like the two player mentioned.

No he has not given any assurances to the fans then bogged off a week later like the two player mentioned.

Very similar to the way Neill left in fact. I wonder if it's revealed that he's going to double his salary that Ooijer will suddenly become a greedy grabbing barsteward not fit to wear the shirt etc etc. :rolleyes:

Edited by thenodrog

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.