BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bristol Rovers Fc V Blackburn Rovers Fc 1981

Roost

I KNOW THIS WAS NOT THE HAPPIEST DAY - BUT IT DESERVES A MENTION BECAUSE OF THE AMAZING SUPPORT WE HAD AT THE RACECOURSE GROUND THAT DAY.

ALL THE SHINNANIGINS WITH THE SWANSEA SUPPORTERS ON THE WAY DOWN AT EACH SERVICES, AND EVEN WORSE ON THE WAY HOME - HILTON PARK WAS BAD (GOOD?!!).

I TRAVELLED DOWN IN MY PALS AUSTIN ALLEGRO IN THE BEST CONVOY EVER. JUST OUTSIDE BRISTOL WE WERE STUCK IN TRAFFIC AND IT WAS BLUE AND WHITE FOR AS FAR AS YOU COULD SEE. FOUND THE GROUND AND SQUEEZED IN BEHIND THE GOAL.

WE NEEDED TO WIN AND PRAY THAT NOB END EITHER DREW WITH OR BEAT SWANSEA. ROVERS WENT 1-0 UP AND WE WENT BANANAS, ESPECIALLY WHEN SOMEONE STARTED A RUMOUR THAT THE NOBBERS WERE WINNING 1-0 TOO.

AT THE FINAL WHISTLE WE KNEW THAT WE HAD DONE ALL WE CAN, BUT THAT SWANSEA HAD WON AT DEEPDALE. ALL THE LADS IN THE NAUGHTY CORNER DECIDED TO GET RID OF THEIR FRUSTRATION ON THE BRISTOL BOYS - THAT KEPT US OCCUPIED FOR A WHILE.

THERE WAS TROUBLE AT ALMOST EVERY SERVICES THAT NIGHT ON THE WAY HOME.

WE EVEN PASSED THE TEAM COACH WITH HOWARD KENDALL SAT ON THE FRONT SEAT - THAT WOULD BE THE LAST TIME WE SAW HIM AS ROVERS MANAGER AS HE JOINED EVERTON THAT SUMMER.

DESPITE THE RESULT - WHAT A DAY - AND WHAT AMAZING SUPPORT - THATS WHY ITS ROVERS FOREVER

I went to this game with The Mighty Wheelton Task Force oh how sad an ending it was for our Travelling Army.

The highlights ?

fighting on the motorway services, watching the Rovers fans battle Swansea across the central reservation was amazing if not totally stupid.

The result went our way and that numpty who had suggested a north end equaliser for us to go mental then quickly come down to earth when it was actually a goal for Swansea completely ruined my day.

The sight of Howard Kendall and the team after the game was upsetting to say the least, this is how grown men can be brought down like this and it is the hardest thing to take being a football fan.

The Bristol fans taking the pitch and coming to us for a brawl at the end was simply typical of Bristol fans.

The journey back north took forever and a day, I was gutted, distraught and hated everyone. I didnt enjoy football for a while after that as I am sure it rebounded on most Rovers fans.

If only.................. <_<

I went to this game with The Mighty Wheelton Task Force oh how sad an ending it was for our Travelling Army.

The highlights ?

fighting on the motorway services, watching the Rovers fans battle Swansea across the central reservation was amazing if not totally stupid.

The result went our way and that numpty who had suggested a north end equaliser for us to go mental then quickly come down to earth when it was actually a goal for Swansea completely ruined my day.

The sight of Howard Kendall and the team after the game was upsetting to say the least, this is how grown men can be brought down like this and it is the hardest thing to take being a football fan.

The Bristol fans taking the pitch and coming to us for a brawl at the end was simply typical of Bristol fans.

The journey back north took forever and a day, I was gutted, distraught and hated everyone. I didnt enjoy football for a while after that as I am sure it rebounded on most Rovers fans.

If only.................. <_<

I WAS WITH LADS FROM MY HOME TOWN PRESTON........... HOW ###### DID I FEEL WHEN ALL MY NOBBER MATES WERE ACTUALLY PLEASED THAT SWANSEA HAD BEATEN THEM TO KEEP US DOWN. GOAL DIFFERENCE IS A CRUEL WAY TO LOSE OUT. WE HAVE DONE OK SINCE THOUGH....PROMOTION...FULL MEMBERS CUP....JACK WALKER...ALAN SHEARER....PREMIERSHIP.....WORTHY CUP......EUROPE.

NOT BAD FOR A 'SMALL TOWN' CLUB EH?

I WAS WITH LADS FROM MY HOME TOWN PRESTON........... HOW ###### DID I FEEL WHEN ALL MY NOBBER MATES WERE ACTUALLY PLEASED THAT SWANSEA HAD BEATEN THEM TO KEEP US DOWN. GOAL DIFFERENCE IS A CRUEL WAY TO LOSE OUT. WE HAVE DONE OK SINCE THOUGH....PROMOTION...FULL MEMBERS CUP....JACK WALKER...ALAN SHEARER....PREMIERSHIP.....WORTHY CUP......EUROPE.

NOT BAD FOR A 'SMALL TOWN' CLUB EH?

I cried that day...my brothers went in a coach , I was only 8yrs & playing cricket, and they told of loads of battles at motorway services as 5,000 blue and whites made their way back North..

Andy Crawford where are you now?

I KNOW THIS WAS NOT THE HAPPIEST DAY - BUT IT DESERVES A MENTION BECAUSE OF THE AMAZING SUPPORT WE HAD AT THE RACECOURSE GROUND THAT DAY.

Wasn't their old ground called Eastville? Or did people call it both - like West Ham's home ground is Boleyn Ground but some call it Upton Park, after the area?

Didn`t go that day, but remember all my friends sitting around the play area (i was 11) listening to a small transistor radio.

Didn`t Preston have an area for Rovers fans at Deepdale on that day? If so, i remember hearing stories of both sets of fans (Nob-enders & Swansea) both goading the attending Rovers fans.

• 1 month later...

My Dad took me to Deepdale that day. I was only 14 and couldn't blag him into taking me to Bristol, so the Nob End / Swansea game was the next best thing.

We stood on the Kop end, at that time it was PNE's home end, and I distinctly remember it being well populated with Rovers fans. Every other bloke seemed to have a radio wedged up tight to their ears, and there were quite a few familiar faces knocking about. I think most Rovers were happy to keep a low profile - I wonder though if the result had been in our favour how many would have blown their cover! As it was when news filtered through that the Rovers were winning a fair old buzz went round the ground. I don't think there was a special pen for us, but I may be wrong (it was a long time ago!).

I also recall the heartbreaking sight of thousands of Taffs in the Town End celebrating like they'd just, er... been promoted to Division 1, which of course they had. On goal difference, for Christ's sake.

I don't remember any wide scale ###### taking aimed at any Rovers fans, but then again we didn't hang around for long after the match and I still remember that feeling of despair I had on the way home, and for days later for that matter.

Why, Preston? Why did you **** it up?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I remember that day.... I was in a chip shop in Bootle .. getting some grub.

I asked for footy scores, he said everton won (I think). when I asked for 2nd division he just said "oh, Swansea won, think they went up"

NO vinegar was needed on those chips , I was sour enough that night :(

• 4 weeks later...

Remember that day remarkably well.

It was my first away on a pub coach and what a day it was for an eight year old. An old Ribblesdale coach with the back 4 or 5 rows of seats taken up with crates of beer. We only got on M6 at Leyland and we had the first of many toilets stops on the hard shoulder.

The return trip was as memorable as the trip down. The pitch battles on the service stations were memorable for all the wrong reasons just as idiots on our coach bricking a coach decked in black and white. Sorry to say it was Widnes' team coach on its way to the Challenge Cup Final I was lead to believe.

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.