SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match review: Rovers 4 Man City 2

rover6

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully this will be our first win of the season. We'll be tired from the game on Thursday, but we have to be up for this game and get a win. We'll get a chance to see how good our squad really is, after a summer of making it bigger, but not nescessarily better. I'd like to see Benni and Shabani Nonda given a run together to see what they can do.

Rovers 2 (McCarthy, Nonda)

Man City 1 (Dickov)

If I could be arsed, I would go up into the loft and get my 1985 scrapbook out.(Sorry Bob F.) Maybe next week.

However, I remember that season when we ultimately missed out on promotion (Some wags used to refer to it as our annual fight against promotion) , the home game with City was a major turning point.

It was around March time, and came fairly soon after our home defeat on a Friday night FA cup match to Man Utd (0-2). Our form was begining to wobble (as usual) and City were amongst our main promotion rivals, along with Portsmouth and Oxford I think.

Me and a couple of City fans were in the Wine Lodge at midday, supping like camels and became pished fairly quickly. Then the seemingly monster walk to Ewood, (my legs were only little then) completed, I went into the Blackburn End with my bus ticket-style season ticket and was amazed to find the gound virtually empty. Then I realsied that my watch was wrong and it was ten to two, not tento three. So I spent the time waiting for the kick off by climbing on the railings and shouting anti-City chants to my mate(Beefy) in the Darwen End, who of course yelled his back. After about 5 minutes of this hilarious exchange, a steward advised me to desist or face being lobbed out of the ground. So I just sat on the BBE terrace for an hour reading my program front toback 7 times, (They weren't very big then).

The game started, but I find it impossible to remember the details, other the Steve Kinsey tapping in a rebound off Gennoes legs at the near post in the BBE. Cue sporadic fighting around the ground, including the Riverside and the bottom of the BBE near me.

After the game, as I walked over to Livesey Branch Road to get on my Tom Jackson coach back to Chorley, a wave of mental City fans, all of whom wore big sheepskin coats came running and attacking Rovers fans. I legged it into the WMC club and hid for 10 for minutes round the back until they had all gone! :unsure:

Ironically, 20 odd years later, the thing I remember most was the attendance! The ground was absolutely rammed full, the capacity was around 30,000 then and they printed it as 22,000. (Cue everyone saying TAX DODGE!)

More senile ramblings to follow through the season as I eventually find my scrapbook.

As for Saturday, revenge will be in the air, as Rovers will win 2-1

:)

Again it's another game we should win, even taking into account our hit and miss performances.

City are pretty poor, especially up front so I can't see them causing us too many problems. Mind you Ooijer and Zurab have been pretty obliging of late, so i'd love to see that partnership scrapped and todd reinstated. Really wish he and Hughes would make up as we're desperately missing him. Can't see it happening though :(

Ok team (assuming everyone stays injured)

Brad, Emerton, Neill, Todd, Zurab/Ooijer (can't decide which one to drop) Bentley, Tugs, Savage, Pereson, Jeffers and McCarthy.

subs: Nonda, Zurab/Ooijer, Mokoena, Gally, Brown.

Since Jeffers apparently had a good game vs Sheffield Utd I'd give him the nod ahead of Nonda, whilst I certainly think that this may be a game for Mokoena to come on into, as I've strong suspicions it'll get a bit heated and physical (hopefully as we're winning.)

Early season optimism hasn'tworn off 2-1 rovers

McCarthy and a screamer from Peds to settle it.

Rovers 3 - 0 Man C

Macca

Bentley

Oooyeah

We better win as my MC season ticket holding brother in law is driving me there and back, he reckons city will be battling relegation, Weaver is playing well but the rest of them are poor, Dunne is their hero at the back but to me he is like Todd on a bad day, they have little creativety in midfield ( unless DMB shines ) and nothing upfront, Dickov has been there main man and he can't shoot. Season was kickstarted on Thursday now we're gonna see some football.

Ok team (assuming everyone stays injured)

Brad, Emerton, Neill, Todd, Zurab/Ooijer (can't decide which one to drop) Bentley, Tugs, Savage, Pereson, Jeffers and McCarthy.

subs: Nonda, Zurab/Ooijer, Mokoena, Gally, Brown.

Ok, I'll decide, drop Zurab- he cant head the ball and thats all you need to do against Corradi

Well we are rock bottom again - I don't like it when Hughes says he is going to rotate the squad as I do not think it is that strong. Would like Peter to start instead of MGP. Need Tugay to play in order for us to play, I just wish he was a few years younger!

Some teams suffer UEFA cup hangovers whereby they cannot seem to win in the Premiership after a match on the Thursday.... lets hope we are not one of them.

BRFC 1 Man City 2

Edited by John

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.