BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

• Backroom

Anyone playing Football Manager? Last one I got was FM14 and before that was FM10. Wondering if I should keep up the tradition and get FM18 once 19 comes out? (Simply for price).

• 3 months later...
On 14/09/2018 at 23:45, OnePhilT said:

I'm contemplating an NVIDIA Shield. It can play 225 Steam games (all of my CoD collection) through GeForce Now - NVIDIA's cloud game streaming platform, which is currently in beta and free. Has anyone got one of these?

Is that just like a switch? I read the switch runs on the same software. I am considering getting a Vita, cheap as chips with a huge eco system of games. I have a PS4 and a wii U. From what I see Nintendo are making a balls of the switch in similar ways to the Wii u 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Just finished Persona 5, hell of a game but total game time clocked in at 85 hours... been a long time since I've spent that much time on an RPG. The game's aesthetics and music are fantastic, the story is fairly good and the battle system is quite easy to pick up (didn't think modern games still did turn-based battles!). 

It did have some flaws though. Lots of dungeon crawling puzzles which can get extremely tedious. I used a walkthrough as otherwise I would have been stuck in some parts for days. Lots of dialogue and text unnecessarily repeated. Some storylines didn't develop as well as they should have. Also there's a couple of "gay panic" scenes which really don't belong in a modern game. The translation is quite questionable at times too - I have an extremely basic grasp of Japanese but even I could tell some stuff wasn't being translated accurately. I guess most people play the game with English voices so wouldn't necessarily notice that.

Due to the overall game length and the slog of some dungeons I'm not sure I'd play it again any time soon, which maybe says something as I can play RPGs like Final Fantasy 7 and 8 any time. It's still a solid 8/10 but can't wholeheartedly recommend it unless you're really into that kind of game.  

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone into Call of Duty on here? 

I got Black Ops 4 a week or so ago. I must say Im not that impressed. The graphics look pretty average at best to me. COD WW2 looked much nicer on the screen. Black Ops seems to have bright blocky colours and even the weapon detail isnt great. Reminds me more of the very first CODs that came out on PS4 4 or 5 years ago. 

Anyone else think similar?

Think Ill see what the new Battlefield is like and decide whether to trade. 

Edited by benhben

• 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom
5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It looks incredible in review videos. 

What do you make of it? My mates are split, some love it, some find it numbingly slow. 

I'm after starting Uncharted 4, so will need to finish that before jumping in. 

As a fan of the RDR series, I'm biased. I love it. I don't think it's actually that slow tbh, but I use 'cinematic mode' so tgat any excessive travelling is just like watching a cutscene.

Just now, Mike E said:

As a fan of the RDR series, I'm biased. I love it. I don't think it's actually that slow tbh, but I use 'cinematic mode' so tgat any excessive travelling is just like watching a cutscene.

Ya, you see I didn't play the original. I was watching a show the other night on IGN and they made the interesting point that Grand theft auto does exactly what it says on the tin, and likewise so does Red dead redemption. That the pacing is deliberate to add realism and the sense of seeking redemption. If it was similar to the original in that regards, i get why fans knew what to expect whereas those who only played GTA were like "what is this??" 

I will definitely try it at some point. Absolutely loved GTA 5. Masterpiece. 

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, you see I didn't play the original. I was watching a show the other night on IGN and they made the interesting point that Grand theft auto does exactly what it says on the tin, and likewise so does Red dead redemption. That the pacing is deliberate to add realism and the sense of seeking redemption. If it was similar to the original in that regards, i get why fans knew what to expect whereas those who only played GTA were like "what is this??" 

I will definitely try it at some point. Absolutely loved GTA 5. Masterpiece. 

While not necessary, I'd recommend playing RDR before RDR2. Being a prequel, a lot RDR2's interest is the anticipation of what caused the events of RDR. And RDR is an iconic ending to a fame imo.

Also, I could imagine RDR2 could be overwhelming in terms of controls, while moving from RDR to RDR2 is an easier transaction.

• Like 1

Just now, Mike E said:

While not necessary, I'd recommend playing RDR before RDR2. Being a prequel, a lot RDR2's interest is the anticipation of what caused the events of RDR. And RDR is an iconic ending to a fame imo.

Also, I could imagine RDR2 could be overwhelming in terms of controls, while moving from RDR to RDR2 is an easier transaction.

I wish I had the time :) 

Does anyone find their ps4 has much slower internet speeds than other devices in the house? 

My virgin Fibre optic is rated to around 170mb/s. My phone, laptop and tablet all seem to get close to this fairly regularly, but my PS4 wired connection  seems to average about 10mb/s. A fraction of the speed of other decices. I've tried various tips off YouTube but it doesn't make much difference.

Interested to know if it's a common issue or my ps4 is showing it's age. I've had it from near launch. 

It also takes forever to download and install updates. 

Edited by benhben

I stopped at FM 11. That was enough detail for me. All the pre match media stuff had to be turned off, and I only wanted to talk to the papers to slag off Steve Kean, who I made Burnley manager with the ability of 1 in everything.

Is that remake of Final Fantasy 7 out yet? If so, is it any good?

Edited by Norbert Rassragr

On 21/11/2018 at 18:22, Norbert Rassragr said:

I stopped at FM 11. That was enough detail for me. All the pre match media stuff had to be turned off, and I only wanted to talk to the papers to slag off Steve Kean, who I made Burnley manager with the ability of 1 in everything.

Is that remake of Final Fantasy 7 out yet? If so, is it any good?

Constantly getting delayed. I have bought every FF since 7 and haven't finished 1. Played 15 and thought it stank. Think I will leave the remake be. Will only lead to disappointment

• Like 1

What's everyone's game of 2018?

For me, it's either Nier: Automata or Bayonetta 2 (Switch port). Ok, I know technically Nier came out in 2017 but I'm playing catch-up. There's still a lot of titles that I haven't played yet (RDR2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Spider-Man, Last Guardian etc.) Too many games, so little time...

Edited by Amo

7 minutes ago, Amo said:

What's everyone's game of 2018?

For me, it's either Nier: Automata or Bayonetta 2 (Switch port). Ok, I know technically Nier came out in 2017 but I'm playing catch-up. There's still a lot of titles that I haven't played yet (R2D2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Spider-Man, Last Guardian etc.) Too many games, so little time...

Mine is Bloodborne, but I too am playing catch up big time. Played none of Spiderman, god of war , red dead etc

Just started Uncharted 4 and it's pretty good 

Played the Nier Demo and really liked it 

For me it is Red Dead Redemption 2, closely followed by Celeste, Spiderman and God of War.  I thought 2017 was a good year for gaming but 2018 has taken things to a whole new level.

Also on PSVR there are some brilliant experiences in Astro Bots, Beat Sabre VR, Tetris Effect and Farpoint.  Those games alone justify the PSVR purchase.