BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

• Backroom

Persona 5 for me. Had no expectations for it at all going in, just bought it because it was on sale and had rave reviews. Ended up sinking over 100 hours in it, which I never do with games these days. Probably the most fun I've had playing a JRPG since FF7, which was a very long time ago.

20 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

Also on PSVR there are some brilliant experiences in Astro Bots, Beat Sabre VR, Tetris Effect and Farpoint.  Those games alone justify the PSVR purchase. 

I ended up getting Beat Saber on Oculus as you can import new songs and maps with a mod. You can also create your own map but it takes a ton of time. Really fun game though. I just bought Astro Bot on sale so will be getting into that shortly!

12 minutes ago, DE. said:

Persona 5 for me. Had no expectations for it at all going in, just bought it because it was on sale and had rave reviews. Ended up sinking over 100 hours in it, which I never do with games these days. Probably the most fun I've had playing a JRPG since FF7, which was a very long time ago.

I ended up getting Beat Saber on Oculus as you can import new songs and maps with a mod. You can also create your own map but it takes a ton of time. Really fun game though. I just bought Astro Bot on sale so will be getting into that shortly!

Ok, that's it. After I finish Uncharted 4 and Dark souls 3, I am moving onto Nier automata and Persona! 

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ok, that's it. After I finish Uncharted 4 and Dark souls 3, I am moving onto Nier automata and Persona! 

I certainly recommend it. One of the big plus points to me was Persona having a traditional turn based battle system. It's old school these days but that's what I prefer. 

One nitpick I do have, and something to keep in mind if/when you pick it up, is that if the main character dies in battle then it's a total game over - even if all of your other party members are alive. Doesn't make much sense to me and caught me out on a couple of occasions. Apparently it's always been that way in the Persona games though. 

Just now, DE. said:

I certainly recommend it. One of the big plus points to me was Persona having a traditional turn based battle system. It's old school these days but that's what I prefer. 

One nitpick I do have, and something to keep in mind if/when you pick it up, is that if the main character dies in battle then it's a total game over - even if all of your other party members are alive. Doesn't make much sense to me and caught me out on a couple of occasions. Apparently it's always been that way in the Persona games though. 

Ok, noted. Not enough turn based RPGs these days. The combat in FF15 was frankly a clusterfuck. The entire game was ruined by it. If they had have just had turn based battles, the rest of the game would have been tolerable. Did you play it? Brought a whole new meaning to  the term "grinding" in RPGs 

I am hearing great things about Octopath traveler from people whose opinions I would respect around these types of games. I won't be buying a switch to play it anytime soon though.  I bought a Wii U and whilst some games were great, it had many, many issues. Have you played Breath of the wild? 

• Backroom
29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ok, noted. Not enough turn based RPGs these days. The combat in FF15 was frankly a clusterfuck. The entire game was ruined by it. If they had have just had turn based battles, the rest of the game would have been tolerable. Did you play it? Brought a whole new meaning to  the term "grinding" in RPGs 

I am hearing great things about Octopath traveler from people whose opinions I would respect around these types of games. I won't be buying a switch to play it anytime soon though.  I bought a Wii U and whilst some games were great, it had many, many issues. Have you played Breath of the wild? 

Nah never really had any desire to pick up FF15. In all honesty the only FF games I really enjoyed were 6, 7 and 8. The games pre-6 are too grindy for me. I got bored of 9 very quickly and only got about half way through 10. I own 12 (PS4 remaster) and 13 but haven't gotten around to playing either of them. Persona 5, for me, has just about the right mix of old school elements mixed in with newer, innovative mechanics. Plus the graphics/presentation and soundtrack are just sublime. I always play with Japanese VA + subtitles so can't comment on the dubbed voices.

I don't own a Wii U or Switch so never played Breath of the Wild. I bought Wind Waker for the Gamecube a while back and really need to play that. Haven't played Link to the Past either, which I am told I really should. Not to mention the N64 titles. I've missed out on huge chunks of the Zelda franchise.

34 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How many games at most would ye have on the go? 

I currently have 3; Breath of the wild, Dark souls 3 and Uncharted 4. 

Is this normal? 

I've usually got one game going at any one time, although sometimes it'll be an RPG supplemented by something like Football Manager or a VR game every so often. Is mostly due to the lack of general free time I have though.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How many games at most would ye have on the go? 

I currently have 3; Breath of the wild, Dark souls 3 and Uncharted 4. 

Is this normal? 

Normal for me. Depending on my mood/time available, I switch between Elite: Dangerous, Just Cause 3, and MGS V. It would be four if I could remember to put my Fallout 4 disc in the PS ?

• Like 1

• Backroom

Just ordered Final Fantasy Origins for the PS1 off eBay (because I have a compulsion to start wasting money I don't have during Christmas season) - I think it completes the mainline Final Fantasy PS1 games for me?

FF Origins
FF Anthology
FF6/FF7/FF8/FF9

I know technically Tactics and Chocobo Racing exist on the PS1, but to my knowledge Tactics (criminally) didn't come out in the EU on the PS1 and Chocobo Racing is so stupidly expensive it's not even worth trying to get. 

• Backroom
On 27/11/2018 at 14:55, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do ye not find it slow? My friends are split in 2 camps. One think it's amazing, the others think it is frustratingly plodding 

I find it slow and I love it for it, tend to play an hour or so at a time and most occasions I don’t do much to further the story just head out and see what happens 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I loved Red Dead Redemption and was really looking forward to this one coming out. Not sure if its age or just not having as much time to play on my PS4 anymore but its  so slow paced, the majority of it feels like riding around on a horse, I know the story will turn out to be amazing but it just doesn't keep me playing at the minute, found the online portion very similar, its GTA in the wild west, grinding missions to earn money to buy ridiculously overprice weapons, upgrades, items etc etc.

I was given an Oculus Rift as my Xmas present - What can I say other than "Bloody Hell!" I play Frontier Elite a lot and the difference between a flat 2D world to the immersive experience experience you get with the Rift is incredible - The scale of everything is huge, planets are now massive, Stations are huge and the entrance to them now seems so big that slotting an Anaconda through them is no longer the heart stopping moment it used to be. Combat is also enhanced as you can now follow targets using your head rather than having to guess where they've gone from the scanner plots, I've not tried many standing games yet as my PC is set up in the dining room and I've not got a massive "play area" available but the one's I've tried so far are a lot of fun. The one downside, which my missus reckons is a benefit is I can't play for as long as before, it's exhausting, you are fully in the game and there's no distractions ( I can't listen to the football on the radio etc. as I could before ) and I find that can be tiring. 

• Backroom

VR's biggest drawback is, ironically, how immersive it is. Unlike with 2D games you can't really just pause and text somebody back, or have a quick chat with the missus whilst continuing to play. VR takes all of your senses and forces them into solely focusing on the game. Obviously it has to be that way, or it wouldn't be VR, but being taken out of reality for hours at a time isn't exactly easy to find time for. I love my Rift but haven't used it for a few months now. I still use my PSVR on occasion as it's a lot easier to set up and I have more 'pick up and play' games I can have 20 minutes or so on - Wipeout, RIGS, etc. 

I never played Elite 2D, but playing it in VR was still very cool. I even found a mod which lets you watch YouTube in the cockpit when you're on long journeys :) I could never get the hang of dogfighting though, I always died in about ten seconds so just started running away to avoid fights. I think that's probably what stopped me playing it tbh. 

Other games most definitely worth picking up:

Robo Recall (free)

Rec Room (free)

Lone Echo/Echo Arena

Beat Saber

Moss

Holoball

Skyrim (with mods)

Fallout (with mods)

Googles Maps VR (free and amazing)

BigScreen VR (cinema app, I think it's free?)

There are probably others but those are the ones off the top of my head that I really enjoyed. Need to get my Oculus hooked up again really, just wish there wasn't so many bloody wires everywhere. The only other major downside.

I was going to buy a VR, glad I didn't. I don't have the time and I don't think the games are where they can be yet. There is a VR arcade near where I work. They have the Rift I think it is. Played Arizona sunshine, pretty fun. The Batman VR was cool, but limited. It will be amazing the day we (well maybe not even in our team) can play GTA or Red dead in VR.

At the moment I am playing Uncharted 4 and Dark souls 3. Uncharted is the worst of the series, amazing graphics, but awful pacing. I am bogged down in the final third now stranded on an island. I find it painful.

Dark souls is cool, but I love all those games. It's not as good as Bloodborne, but then again, what is? 

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I was going to buy a VR, glad I didn't. I don't have the time and I don't think the games are where they can be yet. There is a VR arcade near where I work. They have the Rift I think it is. Played Arizona sunshine, pretty fun. The Batman VR was cool, but limited. It will be amazing the day we (well maybe not even in our team) can play GTA or Red dead in VR.

At the moment I am playing Uncharted 4 and Dark souls 3. Uncharted is the worst of the series, amazing graphics, but awful pacing. I am bogged down in the final third now stranded on an island. I find it painful.

Dark souls is cool, but I love all those games. It's not as good as Bloodborne, but then again, what is? 

The Witcher 3 ;)

3 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

The Witcher 3 ;)

I love The Witcher, it was the first game I bought with my PS4. My missus is also Polish, so I know all the lore :) 

It is an amazing game in practically every way, but if I was nit picking I would say the combat is not on par with Bloodborne or Dark souls. 

I also have to admit , I never finished. I was just about at Skellig 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I love The Witcher, it was the first game I bought with my PS4. My missus is also Polish, so I know all the lore :) 

It is an amazing game in practically every way, but if I was nit picking I would say the combat is not on par with Bloodborne or Dark souls. 

I also have to admit , I never finished. I was just about at Skellig 

Deffo need to finish it when you get some time mate, the last few 'chapters' are what tips it to my favourite game I've ever played, and I've played a lot of games.

Can't recommend the DLC enough either. Blood and Wine is a fantastic addition to the story and was longer than most games released these days, around 40 hours or so.

Edited by Guest