SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

• Backroom
27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I must download it. 

What features are cool? 

Can I turn off random battles? 

Definitely get it, well worth the purchase. I think it's £12.99 at the moment but does fall under £10 every so often, so it might be worth waiting if you don't need it right now.

Yeah you can turn off random battles, which is really useful at certain points. The other feature I really like is x3 speed, which makes battles, climbing ladders, running across the world map, etc a lot more manageable. There is also an option to restore your health and boost limit break at any point in battle, but it goes without saying that doing that pretty much removes any form of challenge. The only way you'd be able to die is if the enemy was able to one shot your entire team - possible at certain points (Midgar Zolom early on, for example) but generally unlikely.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DE. said:

Definitely get it, well worth the purchase. I think it's £12.99 at the moment but does fall under £10 every so often, so it might be worth waiting if you don't need it right now.

Yeah you can turn off random battles, which is really useful at certain points. The other feature I really like is x3 speed, which makes battles, climbing ladders, running across the world map, etc a lot more manageable. There is also an option to restore your health and boost limit break at any point in battle, but it goes without saying that doing that pretty much removes any form of challenge. The only way you'd be able to die is if the enemy was able to one shot your entire team - possible at certain points (Midgar Zolom early on, for example) but generally unlikely.

I finished it 3 times on the PS1. Saw every screen that could be seen. It's definitely due a nostalgic trip.

I just know the remake is going to be a let down 

• Backroom
14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I finished it 3 times on the PS1. Saw every screen that could be seen. It's definitely due a nostalgic trip.

I just know the remake is going to be a let down 

I was really excited for the remake when it was announced in 2015, but yeah, now I'm kind of dreading it. All things considered I'm actually fine with the remastered PS4 version of FF7 + Advent Children. That'll do me. No confidence in Square-Enix doing the remake justice at this point, but I guess we'll see. They might surprise us. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DE. said:

I was really excited for the remake when it was announced in 2015, but yeah, now I'm kind of dreading it. All things considered I'm actually fine with the remastered PS4 version of FF7 + Advent Children. That'll do me. No confidence in Square-Enix doing the remake justice at this point, but I guess we'll see. They might surprise us. 

I can't see how they will make a version I would be happy with, but hopefully I am surprised. 

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I can't see how they will make a version I would be happy with, but hopefully I am surprised. 

Main issue for me is going to be the battle system. When turn based is done properly it's still great. I'm 99% certain this won't be turn based, which will definitely curtail my enjoyment. Part of the reason I loved Persona 5 was because of how well they updated and refined the turn based battle system. It might be out of date these days but it's still what I prefer. 

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Tom said:

Months later I’ve put hours into read dead 2 and still not made too much story progress and I absolutely think it’s the best game I’ve ever played 

Love it 

I'm planning to get my dad a PS4 Pro for his birthday - partially as a thank you for helping me learn to drive at the ripe old age of 31. I might get the Red Dead 2 bundle package and cheekily ask if I can take RD2 :lol: not his kind of game really so I think it'd be better off with me!

• Like 1

• Backroom
10 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Like DE, I play FF7 through at last once a year. When I sold my PS1 i bought the PC version off Ebay (overpaying for it in the process) and it was totally worth it.

Although, I may have used an emulator on my phone for the last couple of years.

Anyway, best game ever.

I've played it through my phone once or twice as well, it actually works surprisingly well for the most part. I think the PS4 remaster is based on the PC/Steam remaster - is that the one you bought, or the original Eidos PC version released in the late 90s?

• Backroom

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/why-the-hell-do-they-have-mouths-a-final-fantasy-7-pc-retrospective/

A nice little article on the original FF7 PC port. The mouths do look very out of place :lol: on the PS4 remaster they've kind of gone half and half. Nobody has an "o" mouth any more, but there's now a mixture of models with mouths (most of the main characters) and ones without (most of the minor cast, plus Sephiroth).  

• 2 weeks later...

Games with Gold gave away Metal Gear Rising this month, one of those games i always wanted to play but for some reason never got round to it.

They also included Jedi Academy (Xbox original) a few weeks back, an absolute classic game that i played alot many years ago. Brought back some memories playing that.

And i bought Devil May Cry 4 the other day, i've seen 5 just being released and i was a huge fan of the original, so i thought i'd give that a go and its a great game. Classic Capcom with some proper frustrating camera angles!

So i've got a few games to play through, should keep me busy for the time being.

• Backroom
On 20/03/2019 at 09:47, K-Hod said:

Been playing the Resident Evil 2 remake of late and it's absolutely tremendous. Really enjoyable.

Please confirm they removed those god awful tank controls - or at least made them optional?

• Backroom
Just now, K-Hod said:

Haha, it plays smoothly and looks like a brand new game, you'd never know it was a remake!

So, to answer your question, I don't think so.....

All I remember about the early Resident Evil games is despising the control schemes. It might be better on the remakes, but I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risk...

So instead I bought Horizon Zero Dawn. Have heard it's a good game.

• Moderation Lead

The main issue I had was with not knowing the controls initially, new games have no manual included and Google wasn't helpful, so it was challenging to begin with!!

Once I worked everything out though, I got stuck and in and  enjoyed it again!

3 hours ago, DE. said:

All I remember about the early Resident Evil games is despising the control schemes. It might be better on the remakes, but I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risk...

So instead I bought Horizon Zero Dawn. Have heard it's a good game.

Did you play 4 or 5? The 2 remake is more like then