BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

• Backroom
Just now, OnePhilT said:

Get Road Rash on.

The beauty of an Everdrive cartridge is that I can do just that :) 

As an aside a store in Belgium is currently doing the PS1 Classic for £26.42 (including delivery): https://www.smartoys.be/catalog/

It has a lot of flaws but can be hacked pretty easily these days so probably worth buying at that price. Will just have to see how long it takes to get here!

• Backroom
Just now, davulsukur said:

?

You've got a SNES.

I'm coming over.

Well, technically it's a Mini SNES (and a mini NES) but I do have an actual SNES & Super Famicom too. The minis are a lot easier to set up though, and the HDMI output looks great. Hoping that one day SEGA will put out a Master System & Mega Drive mini, but for the time being the original consoles will have to do.

48 minutes ago, DE. said:

Well, technically it's a Mini SNES (and a mini NES) but I do have an actual SNES & Super Famicom too. The minis are a lot easier to set up though, and the HDMI output looks great. Hoping that one day SEGA will put out a Master System & Mega Drive mini, but for the time being the original consoles will have to do.

The SNES was the first console I ever owned. I begged my parents for one and on one of my birthdays I remember unwrapping a box to reveal a snes with street fighter 2 turbo bundle. 

I think the box had some art work on of Sagat squaring off against Bison (maybe Ryu/Guile, I forget)

The console itself was quality. Me and a mate must have put a staggering amount of hours into Mario Kart. I ended up with a stupid amount of games and I was genuinely gutted when I sold it to get a Playstation.

Snes mini you say? I think I've just talked myself into buying one!

• Like 1

• Backroom

I would 100% recommend getting a SNES mini. Nintendo did a great job with the quality and layout. There are 21 games included:

• Super Mario World
  • Mario Kart
  • Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
  • F-Zero
  • Super Metroid
  • Street Fighter II Turbo
  • Super Punch Out
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Mega Man X
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Final Fantasy VI (or 3 outside of Japan)
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2 (unreleased game!)
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Contra III
  • Secret of Mana
  • Earthbound
  • Super Ghouls and Ghosts

So basically all the best SNES games in one package - some of those had outrageous prices on eBay before the SNES mini was released as well. Earthbound would sell for well over £100. It sells for significantly less now!

The other great thing about the SNES mini is that it's very easy to hack, meaning you can add as many games as can fit on the memory :) I think I've got about 80 additional games on mine. The OG hardware will play 90% of games, and for the rest the main hacking tool (hakchi) installs retroarch alongside the main emulator, which means that if the stock emulator fails to run a game retroarch takes over and it'll play anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DE. said:

I would 100% recommend getting a SNES mini. Nintendo did a great job with the quality and layout. There are 21 games included:

• Super Mario World
  • Mario Kart
  • Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
  • F-Zero
  • Super Metroid
  • Street Fighter II Turbo
  • Super Punch Out
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Mega Man X
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Final Fantasy VI (or 3 outside of Japan)
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2 (unreleased game!)
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Contra III
  • Secret of Mana
  • Earthbound
  • Super Ghouls and Ghosts

So basically all the best SNES games in one package - some of those had outrageous prices on eBay before the SNES mini was released as well. Earthbound would sell for well over £100. It sells for significantly less now!

The other great thing about the SNES mini is that it's very easy to hack, meaning you can add as many games as can fit on the memory :) I think I've got about 80 additional games on mine. The OG hardware will play 90% of games, and for the rest the main hacking tool (hakchi) installs retroarch alongside the main emulator, which means that if the stock emulator fails to run a game retroarch takes over and it'll play anyway. 

I had a master system then a mega drive, but I always loved the Nintendo consoles. My next door neighbor had a Nintendo 64, loved it. 

My main console is the PS4 pro now, but I also have a Wii u. The virtual console is good, but pricey. I might get the SNES mini. The hackability is intriguing. 

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I had a master system then a mega drive, but I always loved the Nintendo consoles. My next door neighbor had a Nintendo 64, loved it. 

My main console is the PS4 pro now, but I also have a Wii u. The virtual console is good, but pricey. I might get the SNES mini. The hackability is intriguing. 

I really can't recommend the SNES mini enough - NES mini is very good too, although the controller wire is for some reason incredibly short.

I also went Master System/Mega Drive (plus an Amiga 500 somewhere in the middle), before switching to PlayStation/PlayStation 2. The only Nintendo console I had growing up was a Gameboy Colour, and that was basically just a Pokémon machine as I only bought it for that game (what a game, though). 

I only learned to appreciate the NES/SNES in the early 00s when emulation for those systems became practically perfect and I could play games like Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, Street Fighter II Turbo and some random DBZ games through Snes9X on my PC. N64 was a console I just never got into - although I've played the Zelda games through a GameCube Zelda compilation which has the first two Zelda games + Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time on it. That's a cool little item.  

• Backroom

Also I recently purchased a PSP, with my first purchases being Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy Crisis Core, and the FF Dissida games. I think it can be hacked to be a pretty nice emulation system too. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

I assume it's the same as the PS4 version, which is a port of the Steam version of the game. It's well worth the purchase, the x3 speed in particular makes parts of the game much easier to get through. Also being able to turn off random battles is a welcome relief when you just want to get through an area without stopping every five seconds to fight. 

Just now, DE. said:

I assume it's the same as the PS4 version, which is a port of the Steam version of the game. It's well worth the purchase, the x3 speed in particular makes parts of the game much easier to get through. Also being able to turn off random battles is a welcome relief when you just want to get through an area without stopping every five seconds to fight. 

I'm already playing it....

This pressing the right stick to give you full HP/MP and Limit Break is a bit naughty though.

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I'm already playing it....

This pressing the right stick to give you full HP/MP and Limit Break is a bit naughty though.

Haha, yeah, it basically breaks the game. On the other hand, if you saved a while back and don't really want to repeat the area all over again by dying in a battle... sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

It's amazing how some of the FMV's still hold up well even by today's standards. The opening FMV still gives me chills, and there are others throughout the game which still look great. Obviously some parts look really dated, but there's enough nostalgia there for me that I can pretty much ignore that.

The game is now 22 years old and yet none of the dated stuff bothers me like it does in other games.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't already taken advantage of R3. Can't say I've ever left the reactor with Cross-Slash and Mindblow. Helps having some game mechanic knowledge mind you.

Which characters do you normally play through with? 

The obvious choice was always Cloud, Barrett and Tifa. 

I always liked the character of Vincent but his uncontrollable limit breaks pissed me off. I think his final form does a fire based attack which is great, unless your enemy is either resistant to or is healed by fire.

Yuffie was always my next choice and even though I have completed the game with Cid and Red, they were lesser used ones for me.

Ciat Sith was probably the rarest used. One of his limit breaks kills him (maybe everyone?) And he generally just looks weird. 

Edited by davulsukur

• Backroom
Just now, davulsukur said:

The game is now 22 years old and yet none of the dated stuff bothers me like it does in other games.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't already taken advantage of R3. Can't say I've ever left the reactor with Cross-Slash and Mindblow. Helps having some game mechanic knowledge mind you.

Which characters do you normally play through with? 

The obvious choice was always Cloud, Barrett and Tifa. 

I always liked the character of Vincent but his uncontrollable limit breaks pissed me off. I think his final form does a fire based attack which is great, unless your enemy is either resistant to or is healed by fire.

Yuffie was always my next choice and even though I have completed the game with Cid and Red, they were lesser used ones for me.

Ciat Sith was probably the rarest used. One of his limit breaks kills him (maybe everyone?) And he generally just looks weird. 

Part of me wishes there was an option to turn off the R3 option when you start a game, just so the temptation isn't there! 

It's usually Cloud/Barrett/Tifa for me as well. Barrett pretty much always take number two slot - he's just hilarious as a character, and his limit breaks are awesome in terms of dealing damage. I'll sometimes go Red XIII or Cid in third slot too. I don't tend to use Yuffie, Vincent or Cait Sith much. As you say, Vincent's uncontrollable limit break can be pretty irritating. I just don't find the other two very interesting - Reeve as a character is cool, Cait Sith not so much. Feels like Cait Sith should maybe have been a non-playable character - I don't mind him being around but I never feel any need to select him to be in the party. 

It's a bit of a shame Aeris isn't around longer, as she's the only "white mage" type character. Nobody else really has the same impact, especially in the healer role. 

• Backroom

I also only realised in a recent playthrough how heavily the WEAPON monsters are influenced by the Godzilla franchise. When the first WEAPON emerges from the crater on Disc 2 it even does a Godzilla cry. As a kid I didn't really know anything about Japan and Godzilla, but now it's like, yeah, it's Japan... of course there are giant lizard monsters in there :lol:

Another thing that amazes me is how in almost every playthrough I find something I never noticed before. I've played through the game dozens of times over the years and only on my most recent run did I realise there's a computer in one of the houses in the Icicle town which has various cut-scenes with Professor Gast and Ilfana. There's also stuff like BugenHagen's final scene and the Cloud/Zack flashbacks in Nibelheim on Disc 3 which I hadn't caught on previous playthroughs. The amount of content across the game is truly incredible, especially considering the era the game was released in. 

• Backroom

I really wish they would release a remastered version of FFVIII. The story makes absolutely no sense but I still love the overall feel of the game. I read that apparently it isn't so much reluctance as the fact the original code was somehow lost, making a conversion very difficult and time consuming. The original game is still perfectly playable (especially if you use an emulator) but I'd love to have it on the PS4.

I tried to play through 8 last year (I think) on an emulator but the Rom was broken and you couldn't progress past a certain point. 

Shame really, because I'd got quite far.

When I bought the original game, I remember thinking the gun blade was a really cool idea but I'm pretty sure the way they modelled it, a bullet couldn't actually be fired out of the barrel.

Edited by davulsukur

• Backroom

In fairness there were a lot of things in FF8 that in reality would not make any sense :lol: the major thing they would have to look at in a FF8 remaster is the magic system. if you draw enough magic from enemy you can essentially break the game by making yourself ridiculously powerful at very low levels, which makes the game super easy. Not sure exactly how they'd fix that (or if they'd just keep it as is) but once you understand how the junctioning dynamic works the game becomes almost impossible to lose.

3 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

If anyone is playing Division 2, I have created a clan (for PS4), it would be good to see some of you online!  Clan is imaginatively called "BRFCS".

Oh man, I loved the division but got frustrated at its repetativeness online and stopped playing a year or so ago. I played for a week or so a few a big update but had been left behind. Is it worth coming back to?