BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

Sociable Soccer early access now out, initial thoughts

Plays pretty smooth , still a few bugs to iron out though too many to list (can foul loads and rarely get a card , not seen any injuries yet) Rovers are still in the Championship (or England B as it is called)

One thing that does stand out is either the players are too big or the pitch is too small

Computer AI is pretty poor at the moment as are keepers , stuck 4 past the Dingles in my first game so not all bad :)

Controller works well with the game (used a xbox 360 controller)

Can be played in the traditional sensi soccer overhead view or 3d (view), which is not as bad as I expected

Looking like lots of updates in the future

Not found a way to turn off shadows and  all the  graphic "enhancements" which are annoying especially the stuff around the flight of the ball. (edit - options now available)

Still lots of things that need to be implemented like online multiplayer etc 

$19.99 (USD) at the moment

Edit : Link and plenty of reviews http://store.steampowered.com/app/636690/Sociable_Soccer/

In boss mode looks like they have been looking at Rovers appointments for the first three Levels Rookie - Dodgy - Short straw :)  , should suggest to them an agent career mode first levels - Holdiay in Brunei -shadow club owners- FA in my pocket options

Edited by perthblue02

13 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Sociable Soccer early access now out, initial thoughts

Plays pretty smooth , still a few bugs to iron out though too many to list (can foul loads and rarely get a card , not seen any injuries yet) Rovers are still in the Championship (or England B as it is called)

One thing that does stand out is either the players are too big or the pitch is too small

Computer AI is pretty poor at the moment as are keepers , stuck 4 past the Dingles in my first game so not all bad :)

Controller works well with the game (used a xbox 360 controller)

Can be played in the traditional sensi soccer overhead view or 3d (view), which is not as bad as I expected

Looking like lots of updates in the future

Not found a way to turn off shadows and  all the  graphic "enhancements" which are annoying especially the stuff around the flight of the ball. (edit - options now available)

Still lots of things that need to be implemented like online multiplayer etc 

$19.99 (USD) at the moment

Edit : Link and plenty of reviews http://store.steampowered.com/app/636690/Sociable_Soccer/

In boss mode looks like they have been looking at Rovers appointments for the first three Levels Rookie - Dodgy - Short straw :)  , should suggest to them an agent career mode first levels - Holdiay in Brunei -shadow club owners- FA in my pocket options

Thanks for that - been holding out for some reviews before diving in. Might give it a little bit more time before buying it - though im sure temptation will get me within a couple of weeks anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • Backroom
14 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

The last FIFA game I played was probably 1995 or 1996 on the Mega Drive. Tried to play it again a while ago and could not get my head round the controls.

The controls on games for older hardware (particularly during the 8 and 16 bit eras) are very rigid. Because a true 3D landscape isn't being rendered on games like FIFA, your players are essentially locked to a grid and there is very specific collision detection.

It's possible to adjust but probably not worth the effort. I loved FIFA 95, 96 and 97 when I was a kid (Mega Drive versions) but I didn't know any better. It's tough going back to those games now, they seem so much more primitive than the platformers, shooters and RPGs from that era. 

• Backroom

I've spent a few hours on FM18 so far and it's pretty good. Interface and general layout is very similar to FM15, which is nice. There was a period between FM07-FM11 where they were constantly changing the layout and it was frustrating to have to re-learn every year. Nice to see the interface remains in tact. UI is a bit more crowded but that's to be expected. 

This game really does reinforce that Rovers are in League 1. Some of our players are just terrible. After starting the game a few times with different tactics, I ended up dumping Graham and Conyway at the beginning of my final run. I couldn't get either of them to adapt properly to any of my tactics. Graham in particular was useless. Getting rid of those two on a free saves roughly £22k pw in wages which gives you some more room in the budget. Rovers start off with about £200k transfer budget and around £150k pw left to spend in wages, which is actually quite generous for League 1. 

For me, best players from the original squad have been Ward (!), Mulgrew (best player in the team by some distance), Evans, Bennett and Dack. Meanwhile Smallwood, Caddis, Williams, Conway, Graham and Samuel have all been disappointing. The rest I either haven't used or are good enough without being outstanding.  

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

I've spent a few hours on FM18 so far and it's pretty good. Interface and general layout is very similar to FM15, which is nice. There was a period between FM07-FM11 where they were constantly changing the layout and it was frustrating to have to re-learn every year. Nice to see the interface remains in tact. UI is a bit more crowded but that's to be expected. 

This game really does reinforce that Rovers are in League 1. Some of our players are just terrible. After starting the game a few times with different tactics, I ended up dumping Graham and Conyway at the beginning of my final run. I couldn't get either of them to adapt properly to any of my tactics. Graham in particular was useless. Getting rid of those two on a free saves roughly £22k pw in wages which gives you some more room in the budget. Rovers start off with about £200k transfer budget and around £150k pw left to spend in wages, which is actually quite generous for League 1. 

For me, best players from the original squad have been Ward (!), Mulgrew (best player in the team by some distance), Evans, Bennett and Dack. Meanwhile Smallwood, Caddis, Williams, Conway, Graham and Samuel have all been disappointing. The rest I either haven't used or are good enough without being outstanding.  

Lenihan is usually a good player on FM as is Wharton! On my FM17 save I've won the league 3 times in a row and on for a 4th with Wharton having played 300+ games so far! Him and another regen wonderkid through my academy called Richard Beck are rocks in defence. Never won the Champions league though in a record that extends 3 football managers. Won it with other teams but still can't do it with Rovers. Closest I got was a final vs City at OT where I got drummed 4-1 by Zidane's side despite battering them 5-0 at Wembley in the FA Cup a week before! It's my curse.

I always like starting with Rovers due to our academy being well rated. On 17 I've developed and produced loads of wonderkids, selling players like Rankin-Costello for 30m plus!!

Will probably purchase FM18 tonight and give up on another European dream for another year. 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Lenihan is usually a good player on FM as is Wharton! On my FM17 save I've won the league 3 times in a row and on for a 4th with Wharton having played 300+ games so far! Him and another regen wonderkid through my academy called Richard Beck are rocks in defence. Never won the Champions league though in a record that extends 3 football managers. Won it with other teams but still can't do it with Rovers. Closest I got was a final vs City at OT where I got drummed 4-1 by Zidane's side despite battering them 5-0 at Wembley in the FA Cup a week before! It's my curse.

I always like starting with Rovers due to our academy being well rated. On 17 I've developed and produced loads of wonderkids, selling players like Rankin-Costello for 30m plus!!

Will probably purchase FM18 tonight and give up on another European dream for another year. 

Unfortunately Lenihan starts this game off injured and is out for months, Wharton also starts off injured I think. Actually Rovers start off with a lot of injuries! Fortunately there's a lot of bargains to be had in the free transfer market that are capable of doing a job in League 1 :)

My last FM was FM15, so I can't say whether 18 is a worthy upgrade for last year's game, but it's definitely added a lot of interesting features since 15. The Social Media feed is a nice touch, squad dynamics adds good depth, and the 3D match engine is much improved.  

As a heads up you might want to check eBay for this one. I got mine for £20 (strangely directly from Tamworth FC :lol:) and it literally arrived within a day of ordering. Obviously if price doesn't bother you the fastest way is via Steam!

• 1 month later...

For some reason I thought spluffing 100 hours into Skyrim wasn’t enough a few years back, I bought the special edition for the Xbox one to sink another 100 or so hours.

Class game though. You get all the original dlc as well, which I never played previously.

Absolutely one of my favourite games.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit late to the party with this one but recently started playing The Witcher 3, really enjoying it so far. Huge open world, many enemies, gear and quests. The work that has gone into this game is stellar, with the amount of lore etc. A truly great RPG. Picked it up in the Black Friday sale for £12, Game of the Year edition, absolute bargain.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I bought Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Headphones the other day to use with my PS4 via connecting through the jack in the headphones. 

I am reading a lot of conflicting advice. Some say that it should work fine, others are saying I also need an amp to power the 80 OHM version. I really don't want to spend more money or clutter my sitting room up with more stuff. 

Could anyone here more knowledgeable than I advise?

On 08/03/2018 at 13:18, donnermeat said:

Bit late to the party with this one but recently started playing The Witcher 3, really enjoying it so far. Huge open world, many enemies, gear and quests. The work that has gone into this game is stellar, with the amount of lore etc. A truly great RPG. Picked it up in the Black Friday sale for £12, Game of the Year edition, absolute bargain.

I’m jealous. One of my favourite games. It’s absolutely class.

The only let down is that Geralt gets laid more in that game than I do in real life.

I’ll Ill be playing it through again, once I’ve done FF15 again. 

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

7 is the greatest game ever IMO. I have played every on since up to 11. Never matched 7. I kind of gave up on the franchise 

You are correct. I actually really like FF8 as well, although as a kid I never got through it. I didn't get the junction system. A couple of years ago I replayed it and beat it pretty easily, junction system actually makes the game incredibly easy once you get the hang of it. I thought the ending was great, much better than 7's 'wtf' ending which kind of spoiled what was otherwise a god-tier game. 

FF9 was another I never got into as a kid. Tried it as an adult and was even less interested. I guess it just isn't to my taste. 10 was OK, but I never completed it. Got stuck somewhere and gave up. Not been back to it yet. Played a bit of 13 when I got my 360 and it didn't interest me. 

I also played through 6 recently (never played it as a kid, didn't have a SNES) and whilst it was good, for me it didn't live up to the online hype. Too many characters for me, and the story was a bit goofy. Plus there were some unforgivable difficulty spikes which were hard to accept, especially as the majority of the game is easy.  I wasn't as enamored with Kefka as everyone else seems to be, either. Just felt like a cartoon villain to me.

Still got to play through 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 12.Not especially interested in going beyond that and doubt I'll ever get through all of those any time soon. These games take more time than I generally have available!

1 minute ago, DE. said:

You are correct. I actually really like FF8 as well, although as a kid I never got through it. I didn't get the junction system. A couple of years ago I replayed it and beat it pretty easily, junction system actually makes the game incredibly easy once you get the hang of it. I thought the ending was great, much better than 7's 'wtf' ending which kind of spoiled what was otherwise a god-tier game. 

FF9 was another I never got into as a kid. Tried it as an adult and was even less interested. I guess it just isn't to my taste. 10 was OK, but I never completed it. Got stuck somewhere and gave up. Not been back to it yet. Played a bit of 13 when I got my 360 and it didn't interest me. 

I also played through 6 recently (never played it as a kid, didn't have a SNES) and whilst it was good, for me it didn't live up to the online hype. Too many characters for me, and the story was a bit goofy. Plus there were some unforgivable difficulty spikes which were hard to accept, especially as the majority of the game is easy.  I wasn't as enamored with Kefka as everyone else seems to be, either. Just felt like a cartoon villain to me.

Still got to play through 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 12.Not especially interested in going beyond that and doubt I'll ever get through all of those any time soon. These games take more time than I generally have available!

I suppose it depends on when you play them. If I played 7 for the first time now, I would probably be annoyed by the random battles, text conversations and blocky graphics. My God 12-13 year old me was so immersed in it. I finished it 3 times at around 100 hours a time. Uncovered everything, unlocked everything and saw every scene. I loved everything about it. I can't imagine ever having such a magical video game experience again. Last year I did enjoy Pyre on the PS4, did you play that? I am also really enjoying Breath of the wild. If 13 year old me played that I would imagine I would have a similar experience to FF7.

Are you optimistic about the FF7 remake? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom

I'm not optimistic about anything Square-Enix do with the franchise these days, but I am curious as to what they'll end up producing. It's taking so long that it feels like a lot of the momentum has already disappeared and people are just getting nervous now about the ways they can screw it up. 

I was one of the few who seemed to enjoy Advent Children, though, so I'm not that difficult to please. 

Re: Pyre, no, I haven't played that. But I've barely played any flat screen games over the past couple of years, it's pretty much been exclusively VR stuff. The only flat games I've played are retro stuff from the 80's & 90's. I take your point on playing games long past their time of release, but on the other hand I enjoyed playing Chrono Trigger and FF8 in recent times, so I'm not sure it's the graphics quality or game mechanics that are the problem when it comes to FF6 & FF9. I think I just prefer the type of worlds 7 & 8 explored - future cyber-punk/dystopian settings. That's more my style than quasi-medieval or industrial age environments.

• Like 1

Ya, I'm not optimistic myself. I don't think they will be able to recreate what us fans really want to see. The entire world recreated from scratch with todays best available graphics. Rockstar or Project CD Red would have a good stab at it. Apparently it will be released in 6 episodes. Immediate alarm bells. A few months back they advertised for loads of new staff for the project, I think they are starting to realize what they have will not match expectations. Perhaps we aren't even at the point graphically or processing power wise where the game could be remade. 

I never played Chrono trigger. Always wanted to. 

Pyre is cool. It's a sports RPG :) 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, I'm not optimistic myself. I don't think they will be able to recreate what us fans really want to see. The entire world recreated from scratch with todays best available graphics. Rockstar or Project CD Red would have a good stab at it. Apparently it will be released in 6 episodes. Immediate alarm bells. A few months back they advertised for loads of new staff for the project, I think they are starting to realize what they have will not match expectations. Perhaps we aren't even at the point graphically or processing power wise where the game could be remade. 

I never played Chrono trigger. Always wanted to. 

Pyre is cool. It's a sports RPG :) 

You know it's strange, for the longest time I thought I wanted a FF7 remake, but now it's here... I'm not sure I do. Sure, it's got blocky graphics, amusing mid-90s 3D cutscenes, some odd translations,  text boxes to read, somewhat annoying random battles, and a lot of stuff that wouldn't get past censors these days... but I don't care. That's all a part of what gives the game its charm. I don't think a remake will capture any of that. I only really would ever have wanted a remaster which touched up the blockiness (maybe brought it up to FF8 quality models?), improved the translation a bit and turned down the random battle encounter rate a little. That would have done me just fine. I'm not sure I want a full remake with @#/?ing episodes, DLC and shitty voice acting. The more I think about it the less it appeals to me.

You should definitely try Chrono Trigger. It's not to everybody's tastes but I enjoyed it, anyway.

Will add Pyre to the list, no idea when I'll get to it though :lol:

Just now, DE. said:

You know it's strange, for the longest time I thought I wanted a FF7 remake, but now it's here... I'm not sure I do. Sure, it's got blocky graphics, amusing mid-90s 3D cutscenes, some odd translations,  text boxes to read, somewhat annoying random battles, and a lot of stuff that wouldn't get past censors these days... but I don't care. That's all a part of what gives the game its charm. I don't think a remake will capture any of that. I only really would ever have wanted a remaster which touched up the blockiness (maybe brought it up to FF8 quality models?), improved the translation a bit and turned down the random battle encounter rate a little. That would have done me just fine. I'm not sure I want a full remake with @#/?ing episodes, DLC and shitty voice acting. The more I think about it the less it appeals to me.

My thoughts exactly. I think you could skip random battles in the PC version and speed up walking speed. I have a feeling I would prefer that to what we will be served up in this remake. I just can't see them capturing the charm and kookiness of the original. I mean, how will they even do those scenes in the Honeybee inn with realistic graphics?? :D It will look ridiculous at best, creepy at worst 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel