BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

• Backroom

Got 'Lego Star Wars (complete saga)' for a tenner just shy ofc xmas and now have some time to have a go. You guys seem to love the lego games, so hopefully I'll have some fun out of this :)

• Like 1

Also if you're a fan of South Park then play The Stick of Truth, been playing it all week. Some real laugh out loud moments.

I've been playing that. I love the way it looks and sounds exactly like the TV show but I'm not 100% sold on the gameplay.

The entire thing is just wandering around a South Park diorama, looking at in-jokes, fetching items for various characters, and loads of tedious fights that are all exactly the same.

Did you get past the Al Gore fight? I almost gave up on the game at that point - I got beaten so many times, it was no fun at all. Listening to him do his stupid speech over and over, then trying a new weapon or buddy character, only to die and have to repeat it... On about the 10th attempt I turned down the difficulty and finally squeaked past it.

I've been playing that. I love the way it looks and sounds exactly like the TV show but I'm not 100% sold on the gameplay.

The entire thing is just wandering around a South Park diorama, looking at in-jokes, fetching items for various characters, and loads of tedious fights that are all exactly the same.

Did you get past the Al Gore fight? I almost gave up on the game at that point - I got beaten so many times, it was no fun at all. Listening to him do his stupid speech over and over, then trying a new weapon or buddy character, only to die and have to repeat it... On about the 10th attempt I turned down the difficulty and finally squeaked past it.

Well usually I'm not normally into turn based combat but as it's South Park I thought an exception should be made, you have a point with what you say though. It felt strange when I first started playing as it looks just the programme.

Yes it took me ages and plenty of health potions, that speech was very tedious.

On a side note I finished the new Tomb Raider a couple of weeks ago, cracking game that.

Lego games must be so easy to make. Maybe the first Star Wars one took a bit of thought, but since then all they have to do is license a movie or comic book and reskin the previous game. And when they've made a bunch of virtually identical games based on the same thing, they can repackage them together and call it a trilogy.

That got me a few times untiI figured out that I wasn't using fart magic, After that it was quite easy.

I really like the game and the gameplay doesn't bother me but then again I've always been a sucker for repetitive RPG's.

Edited by Clitherover

South Park was really good after I got rid of Al Gore. I didn't die again in any fights, so I could just enjoy the story.

I heard they censored the abortion scene in the console version. Not sure why that wasn't allowed but some of the other stuff was - the bedroom scene, the stuff inside Mr Slave's arse, Jesus shooting children with a machine gun...

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't mind a game that is primarily story driven with pretty limited gameplay (think The Walking Dead), may I recommend To The Moon.

It came out a few years ago, but I only just came across it on gog.com.

It is quite honestly the best story I've witnessed come out of a computer game. Moving, emotional, suprising, twisting.
It really surprised me

If you don't mind a game that is primarily story driven with pretty limited gameplay (think The Walking Dead), may I recommend To The Moon.

It came out a few years ago, but I only just came across it on gog.com.

It is quite honestly the best story I've witnessed come out of a computer game. Moving, emotional, suprising, twisting.

It really surprised me

Games forums are full of people saying they cried over that one. I didn't, but it takes more than a badly written romance to get me going.

When my wife made me watch My Girl this Christmas I laughed at the bit where Macauley Culkin got stung to death by bees. I looked over to confirm just how amusing it was - the way his glasses fell to the floor - and she was actually weeping!

I thought the dialogue in To The Moon read like it was written by a child but the story concept was pretty good. Sort of Vanilla Sky meets Eternal Sunshine.

Games forums are full of people saying they cried over that one. I didn't, but it takes more than a badly written romance to get me going.

When my wife made me watch My Girl this Christmas I laughed at the bit where Macauley Culkin got stung to death by bees. I looked over to confirm just how amusing it was - the way his glasses fell to the floor - and she was actually weeping!

I thought the dialogue in To The Moon read like it was written by a child but the story concept was pretty good. Sort of Vanilla Sky meets Eternal Sunshine.

The two doctors were a bit odd. But perhaps teaching EFL has made me impervious to awkwardly phrased Asian-English dialogue. I found the romance far fetched but really charming.

The two doctors were a bit odd. But perhaps teaching EFL has made me impervious to awkwardly phrased Asian-English dialogue. I found the romance far fetched but really charming.

I quite like dodgy Asian translations - I have a Chinese dvd of Shaolin Soccer which has the best subtitles ever, much better than the cleaned-up Western release. But the guy who wrote To The Moon is Canadian, isn't he?

I have no idea why the male doctor is characterised as a petulant teenager and the female one is like his mum.

Still, if you enjoyed that, try Gone Home. It's a bit pretentious but very well done, a rather different way of delivering narrative in a game.

Also, Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons - that one I did find quite moving, even though it's an action game with no dialogue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...