BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

• Backroom

The graphics look gorgeous. Not sure about the battle system, will need to see more of it before judging. Looks similar to FFXV which I wasn't a massive fan of, but we'll see. Hoping there will be an option for dual Japanese/English audio tracks (with subtitles obviously), although the mouth movements at first glance seem to have been created for the english track, so... we'll see.

June will be very interesting!

On 11/04/2019 at 10:18, davulsukur said:

It's the language of a 35 Year old bloke, who wishes he was still 13 ?

I've always wanted to ask if adults still play video games.

I remember being about 19-20 playing on a console and my dad said something like 'Isn't it about time you grew out of those silly games'.

Just now, Husky said:

I've always wanted to ask if adults still play video games.

I remember being about 19-20 playing on a console and my dad said something like 'Isn't it about time you grew out of those silly games'.

Yer, I still play them at 35. Can't see me ever "growing out of them"

Incidentally, these silly games have been (and continue to be) a huge inspiration for me to progress one of my hobbies in 3D modelling. This in turn has had a massive impact on my career and as such has pushed me to the top end of my field. 

Using these skills in the construction industry allows me (and my employers) to design buildings and infrastructure more efficiently and safely.

?

Just now, davulsukur said:

Yer, I still play them at 35. Can't see me ever "growing out of them"

Incidentally, these silly games have been (and continue to be) a huge inspiration for me to progress one of my hobbies in 3D modelling. This in turn has had a massive impact on my career and as such has pushed me to the top end of my field. 

Using these skills in the construction industry allows me (and my employers) to design buildings and infrastructure more efficiently and safely.

?

I always used to quote something from a study reported in a computer games magazine... something about video games improving hand eye coordination. Possibly why I've always been an amazing catcher of a ball and 5 aside goalkeeper ?

• Like 1

• Backroom

It's pretty old-fashioned to still see computer games as childish. Of the three big companies in console gaming I'd say only Nintendo market more towards children than adults, and even then most of their sales probably still come from players 16+. There's big money in adult gaming and has been for literally 20 years now.  

• Like 2

On 10/05/2019 at 19:40, DE. said:

The graphics look gorgeous. Not sure about the battle system, will need to see more of it before judging. Looks similar to FFXV which I wasn't a massive fan of, but we'll see. Hoping there will be an option for dual Japanese/English audio tracks (with subtitles obviously), although the mouth movements at first glance seem to have been created for the english track, so... we'll see.

June will be very interesting!

Don't worry, it will have a different battle system when it comes out in 2028.

Edited by Amo

On 13/05/2019 at 19:34, DE. said:

It's pretty old-fashioned to still see computer games as childish. Of the three big companies in console gaming I'd say only Nintendo market more towards children than adults, and even then most of their sales probably still come from players 16+. There's big money in adult gaming and has been for literally 20 years now.  

It is but whenever I mention my age when playing an online game, its amazing how many kids suddenly start piping up about how I must be some loser for playing games at my age. I have no life apparently.

Always been a gamer - heck, was playing games long before your sega master systems and nintendos let along your playstations and xbox's. Only problem is I cannot play nearly as much as I would like, literally just a few hours on the weekends these days.

• Backroom
32 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

It is but whenever I mention my age when playing an online game, its amazing how many kids suddenly start piping up about how I must be some loser for playing games at my age. I have no life apparently.

Always been a gamer - heck, was playing games long before your sega master systems and nintendos let along your playstations and xbox's. Only problem is I cannot play nearly as much as I would like, literally just a few hours on the weekends these days.

That's the thing I like about VR - it tends to skewer older, I assume due to costs, so everybody is between the 25-45 age range. It makes for a much nicer online gaming experience. 

That said I'm not much of an online gamer. Like you I don't really have that much time, so it's a few hours at weekend and maybe a few during the week depending on what I've got going on. It means I now have a backlog so large that I'd need a year off work to get through it all. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

FF7 Remake announced for 03/03/2020... another 9 months. Still on the PS4 by the looks of it. Kind of weird that it's going to be launching around the time the PS5 will be on its way.

Edited by DE.

12 hours ago, DE. said:

FF7 Remake announced for 03/03/2020... another 9 months. Still on the PS4 by the looks of it. Kind of weird that it's going to be launching around the time the PS5 will be on its way.

It's taken forever. At least it finally has a release date. 

Just hope my mate still has a PS4 by the time it's out so I can borrow it!

• Backroom

There's a new 4 minute trailer out which looks pretty good.

Even better, they announced at E3 that Final Fantasy 8 is getting a remaster! About damn time. Being released some time this year.

Yep I saw that news this morning. I really like FF8 as well. Tried playing on emulator not so long back but it froze at a certain point and couldn't get past it. 

Be great to see that remade.

Edit: looks like it's a remaster not a remake, so essentially the same game with an overhaul. Sweet.

Edited by davulsukur

• Backroom
2 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Yep I saw that news this morning. I really like FF8 as well. Tried playing on emulator not so long back but it froze at a certain point and couldn't get past it. 

Be great to see that remade.

Edit: looks like it's a remaster not a remake, so essentially the same game with an overhaul. Sweet.

Yeah, I guess it'll be similar to the remastered version of FF7 that was released on Steam/PS4. I wonder if they'll tinker with the junction system at all? It was a decent idea in theory but fell apart in practice, as you could basically make yourself invincible very early on in the game through drawing the max amount of spells from enemies and junctioning them accordingly. My guess is they leave it as it is, but if it was ever to be properly remade then I imagine the junction system would be gone. 

As long as Triple Triad is in the game I'll be happy. For a mini game it was crazy addictive.

4 hours ago, DE. said:

Yeah, I guess it'll be similar to the remastered version of FF7 that was released on Steam/PS4. I wonder if they'll tinker with the junction system at all? It was a decent idea in theory but fell apart in practice, as you could basically make yourself invincible very early on in the game through drawing the max amount of spells from enemies and junctioning them accordingly. My guess is they leave it as it is, but if it was ever to be properly remade then I imagine the junction system would be gone. 

As long as Triple Triad is in the game I'll be happy. For a mini game it was crazy addictive.

I never really figured out the junction system until I played it again on emulator but you're correct that you can basically become way over powered from pretty much the start.

• Backroom

As a kid I really had no idea how the junction system worked. I basically tried to play the game the same way as FF7 and I remember getting stuck around the part where you fight Cerberus and that was as far as I got. It was only a few years ago when I replayed it again (on an original PlayStation!) and read a walkthrough that I realised how insanely unbalanced the junction system is if you spam drawing spells from enemies. It's also kind of funny that the game is easier to complete if all of your characters are underleveled, due to enemies levelling up with you. Another mechanic that is a good idea in theory, but wasn't quite implemented properly. 

Edited by DE.

On 12/06/2019 at 11:42, DE. said:

As a kid I really had no idea how the junction system worked. I basically tried to play the game the same way as FF7 and I remember getting stuck around the part where you fight Cerberus and that was as far as I got. It was only a few years ago when I replayed it again (on an original PlayStation!) and read a walkthrough that I realised how insanely unbalanced the junction system is if you spam drawing spells from enemies. It's also kind of funny that the game is easier to complete if all of your characters are underleveled, due to enemies levelling up with you. Another mechanic that is a good idea in theory, but wasn't quite implemented properly. 

If I remember correctly, and I probably don't, I'm sure there was a way you could put a character into Limit break mode every turn, either through a spell or weapon enhancement or a combination of both? 

That's how I had to finish the game when I first played it.

I finished Uncharted 4. I would give it a solid 7.5 possibly 8. It looks beautiful on PS4 Pro and the storyline is a pretty good ending to the series. The gameplay let's it down a bit. I like the shooting and jumping, I mean it is an uncharted game. The thing that annoyed me was not knowing where to go or what to do at times. Like why can I jump on one ledge that's 8 feet high, but not one that's 4 foot high beside it? Or why does a 12 foot drop kill me in one area, but I land on my feet in another section. The amount of times I jumped off a ledge and died ? I think Breath of the wild has had an effect on my perception of games now. I don't think it's the best game ever, but the freedom to go where you want is second to none. 

Started Persona 5. Absolutely love it so far. Get that into my veins. Only about 3 hours in. 

The Final fantasy 7 remake looks great. I hear its on 2 discs. Disc 1 is Midgar and then disc 2 is when you get to the world map. One concern I have is the video at E3 showed the first boss fight and it looked very drawn out and samey. Maybe it's more fun to play. I'm definitely in anyway, might even pre-order, which I have never done before. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Persona 5 is absolutely off the walls. I had no idea what kind of game it was. A social simulator/ RPG. I love it. I am almost finished the first palace. 

What I really like is the humour and the time management. Looking forward to finishing this palace and continuing the story line. I think I actually prefer the real world parts, although the variety is good. 

What a unique game

• Like 1

• Backroom
6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Persona 5 is absolutely off the walls. I had no idea what kind of game it was. A social simulator/ RPG. I love it. I am almost finished the first palace. 

What I really like is the humour and the time management. Looking forward to finishing this palace and continuing the story line. I think I actually prefer the real world parts, although the variety is good. 

What a unique game

It's great, isn't it? You've still got a long way to go but the game definitely had me from beginning to end. For the first run make sure you max out Kawakami's social link ASAP, as it lets you go out in the evening after you've finished a palace or mementos. Also make sure you give yourself a decent amount of days for the palaces, as in the first run you won't normally be able to finish them all in one go. If you do an NG+ game then you can usually do palaces in one hit. Keep in mind with NG+ you can also redo the social links you didn't finish the first time around, and you'll get through the game quicker due to carrying over your weapons, armour, etc from the first run.

I think my first P5 game clocked in at around 80-90 hours. I was gutted when it was over. I tried to play P4 on my PSTV but man it was a serious downer seeing such a huge graphical downgrade (P4 came out initially on the PS2, and even though it was rereleased on the Vita/PSTV the graphics aren't really improved). P5's graphical presentation is so slick and just all around awesome that it makes it very difficult to go back to the older games unfortunately.

11 hours ago, DE. said:

It's great, isn't it? You've still got a long way to go but the game definitely had me from beginning to end. For the first run make sure you max out Kawakami's social link ASAP, as it lets you go out in the evening after you've finished a palace or mementos. Also make sure you give yourself a decent amount of days for the palaces, as in the first run you won't normally be able to finish them all in one go. If you do an NG+ game then you can usually do palaces in one hit. Keep in mind with NG+ you can also redo the social links you didn't finish the first time around, and you'll get through the game quicker due to carrying over your weapons, armour, etc from the first run.

I think my first P5 game clocked in at around 80-90 hours. I was gutted when it was over. I tried to play P4 on my PSTV but man it was a serious downer seeing such a huge graphical downgrade (P4 came out initially on the PS2, and even though it was rereleased on the Vita/PSTV the graphics aren't really improved). P5's graphical presentation is so slick and just all around awesome that it makes it very difficult to go back to the older games unfortunately.

That's what I thought, so I was going to play Persona 4 on the Vita first. I didn't though, so not sure I ever will now.

Cheers, good tips. Ya, I am at the place in the first palace where you need to defeat the 2 enemies to get the "eyes" so that I can stop the big blades going across the bridge. I think I am close to the end, however it is Sunday evening and the enemy bar is at around 65% (I got turfed out last night when it got to 100% and I died in the story line and it put me back a week). I will reload my save though and try get to the last bit. Hopefully I can do it, because I did so much in that week, I really don't want to go back that far. I should have more saves, but only have 1. I didn't go into the palace until the 28th of April. I thought I could knock it out in a day or two, big mistake, I should have went earlier. Typical me leaving things til the last minute. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's what I thought, so I was going to play Persona 4 on the Vita first. I didn't though, so not sure I ever will now.

Cheers, good tips. Ya, I am at the place in the first palace where you need to defeat the 2 enemies to get the "eyes" so that I can stop the big blades going across the bridge. I think I am close to the end, however it is Sunday evening and the enemy bar is at around 65% (I got turfed out last night when it got to 100% and I died in the story line and it put me back a week). I will reload my save though and try get to the last bit. Hopefully I can do it, because I did so much in that week, I really don't want to go back that far. I should have more saves, but only have 1. I didn't go into the palace until the 28th of April. I thought I could knock it out in a day or two, big mistake, I should have went earlier. Typical me leaving things til the last minute. 

The bit you are at is basically the last part before you send the calling card, so yeah you're near the end. Keep in mind the next palaces are both longer and more difficult. Also keep in mind you need a day just for leaving the calling card and returning to the palace. I would genuinely recommend keeping a guide handy for the upcoming palaces (Polygon and IGN both have decent ones) as some of the puzzles are ridiculous. Without guides I'd probably still be playing through my first save now. Make sure you have at least an hour or so to spare every time to go into a palace as well, as save points/safe rooms are not exactly abundant (except in one of the later palaces, which bizarrely has a ton of safe rooms). 

The other social link I'd recommend maxing out ASAP is the doctor (Takemi?) as it gives you discounts on really useful items. In particular there are HP/SP replenishment items that you can equip which are extremely helpful, especially when you get to the latter stages, 

10 minutes ago, DE. said:

The bit you are at is basically the last part before you send the calling card, so yeah you're near the end. Keep in mind the next palaces are both longer and more difficult. Also keep in mind you need a day just for leaving the calling card and returning to the palace. I would genuinely recommend keeping a guide handy for the upcoming palaces (Polygon and IGN both have decent ones) as some of the puzzles are ridiculous. Without guides I'd probably still be playing through my first save now. Make sure you have at least an hour or so to spare every time to go into a palace as well, as save points/safe rooms are not exactly abundant (except in one of the later palaces, which bizarrely has a ton of safe rooms). 

The other social link I'd recommend maxing out ASAP is the doctor (Takemi?) as it gives you discounts on really useful items. In particular there are HP/SP replenishment items that you can equip which are extremely helpful, especially when you get to the latter stages, 

Shit, so if I am on Sunday and the deadline is Monday to steal the treasure and I still haven't yet left the calling card, does that mean I am basically screwed? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel