BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

I think all that's been 100% confirmed is that the first episode takes place entirely in Midgar. Logic suggests it'll finish after the gang break out of Shinra headquarters and are about to head to Kalm, but I guess it could be a bit before that. 

Yeah agreed, I've never been a fan of that kind of combat. Persona 5 showed that turn based combat can still work in modern games, and I really wish Square had taken inspiration from that rather than replicate the blandness of the FF15 combat system. 

15 was a mess when it came to combat. Hated it. I got in a fight in a cave early on and it got so messy and glitchy I turned it off never to play it again. Pity,because the game looked great and had potential. 

Right,I have a bad feeling this remake will end before the get through the entire game due to poor sales or something like that. There is a huge amount of game left after Midgar. How many episodes will there be I wonder and how much will each cost 

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

15 was a mess when it came to combat. Hated it. I got in a fight in a cave early on and it got so messy and glitchy I turned it off never to play it again. Pity,because the game looked great and had potential. 

Right,I have a bad feeling this remake will end before the get through the entire game due to poor sales or something like that. There is a huge amount of game left after Midgar. How many episodes will there be I wonder and how much will each cost 

I think I played something like 6 or 7 hours of FF15, got bored and stopped playing. The story was alright but the gameplay didn't hook me at all.

Assuming they do finish all the episodes I'm more interested as to how they'll play the transition from PS4 to PS5. The PS5 will almost certainly come out during the time the episodes are being released, so will some of them come out on PS5, or will they all come out on PS4? Would be strange for instalments to be coming out on a legacy system and not on the newest console, but at the same time would also be strange for half the instalments to be on PS4 and half on the PS5. 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2020 at 13:16, DE. said:

I think all that's been 100% confirmed is that the first episode takes place entirely in Midgar. Logic suggests it'll finish after the gang break out of Shinra headquarters and are about to head to Kalm, but I guess it could be a bit before that. 

Yeah agreed, I've never been a fan of that kind of combat. Persona 5 showed that turn based combat can still work in modern games, and I really wish Square had taken inspiration from that rather than replicate the blandness of the FF15 combat system. 

I'm sure I read somewhere that there was an option to play FF7 remake as turn based combat but I could be wrong.

• Backroom
9 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that there was an option to play FF7 remake as turn based combat but I could be wrong.

Technically yes although it's the same "new" battle system, you can essentially just pause/slow it down whilst you're deciding what to do next. I feel like it kind of defeats the purpose as the whole point of this newer combat mechanism is to make fights more fluid and realistic. 

2 hours ago, DE. said:

Technically yes although it's the same "new" battle system, you can essentially just pause/slow it down whilst you're deciding what to do next. I feel like it kind of defeats the purpose as the whole point of this newer combat mechanism is to make fights more fluid and realistic. 

That's the same "Wait mode" as FF15, not really turn based. 

Ah, shame i thought i read it was actually turn based but i guess i was wrong

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

That's the same "Wait mode" as FF15, not really turn based. 

Ah, shame i thought i read it was actually turn based but i guess i was wrong

It seems like the battle system as a whole is basically lifted from FF15.

Unfortunately turn-based combat in general seems to be obsolete these days with a few exceptions such as Persona 5. Funny thing is P5 was wildly successful so clearly turned-based combat is not a deal breaker to many people. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

It seems like the battle system as a whole is basically lifted from FF15.

Unfortunately turn-based combat in general seems to be obsolete these days with a few exceptions such as Persona 5. Funny thing is P5 was wildly successful so clearly turned-based combat is not a deal breaker to many people. 

I'll be honest, i didn't mind the combat system in FF15, in fact on the whole, i actually quite enjoyed the game.

I can see why people didn't, though.

I do think they would be better sticking to a turn based system, i guess the worry is that people might compare it to other games and deem it a too dated system these days.

• Backroom
25 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I'll be honest, i didn't mind the combat system in FF15, in fact on the whole, i actually quite enjoyed the game.

I can see why people didn't, though.

I do think they would be better sticking to a turn based system, i guess the worry is that people might compare it to other games and deem it a too dated system these days.

On a game that is literally a remake of something from 1997 I would have preferred them to retain the original battle system and tweak it for modern sensibilities (ala Persona 5) rather than adopt FF15's battle system which to me feels completely out of place in FF7. 

It's funny but I think the thing that bugged me the most on FF15 was the translation. I pretty much always have the original Japanese voices on, and even though I speak practically no Japanese I still know the subtitles are incorrect as they're just repeating the English voiceovers. It's something small which really annoyed me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

On a game that is literally a remake of something from 1997 I would have preferred them to retain the original battle system and tweak it for modern sensibilities (ala Persona 5) rather than adopt FF15's battle system which to me feels completely out of place in FF7. . 

100%. They are doing many things I feared they would do.

I played a bit of the FF7 remaster last night. I'm just at the section early enough on when you get into Shinra tower looking for Aeris. One thing I noticed was that the dialogue was humerous at times, particularly Barrett. Kind of kookie. I think that is going to be gone.

I wanted it to be closer to the original FF7 than to FF15. I fear it will more closely resemble the latter in gameplay and tone. 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I played a bit of the FF7 remaster last night. I'm just at the section early enough on when you get into Shinra tower looking for Aeris. One thing I noticed was that the dialogue was humerous at times, particularly Barrett. Kind of kookie. I think that is going to be gone.

I wanted it to be closer to the original FF7 than to FF15. I fear it will more closely resemble the latter in gameplay and tone. 

Yep I'm pretty sure all the quirks and silliness that are part of what makes FF7 so loved will be gone, replaced by a slick but largely soulless production. Barret's dialogue is basically just sound bytes from Mr T, but who cares? Everyone loves Mr T. Now granted I wouldn't be against a bit of a translation clean up as the original translation was adequate at best and often made no sense or mistranslated entire portions of the plot making the story impossible to follow. I'd be okay with those problems being fixed on the proviso the tone of the original is retained. In fact I'm sure there's a fan patch for the PC version that pretty much does this. 

21 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wanted it to be closer to the original FF7 than to FF15. I fear it will more closely resemble the latter in gameplay and tone

All I wanted, when they announced the remake was basically FF7 with current gen graphics.

I think, they are trying to appeal to the next generation of gamers, as it seemed to be the case with 15. Pretty sure there is a screen when you start ff15 that says a final fantasy game for current and new fans. Seems like it appealed more to new fans than current ones.

• Like 1

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

All I wanted, when they announced the remake was basically FF7 with current gen graphics.

I think, they are trying to appeal to the next generation of gamers, as it seemed to be the case with 15. Pretty sure there is a screen when you start ff15 that says a final fantasy game for current and new fans. Seems like it appealed more to new fans than current ones.

I haven't been able to get into a FF game since 10, so the 'new' style definitely isn't for me. 

All I wanted from a FF7 remake was:

- next gen graphics
- a better translation and more effective telling of the story, which admittedly is a bit confusing in the original game

That's it. No storyline changes, no major gameplay changes - just some very minor tweaks to the original translation and upgraded graphics. The idea of the older gameplay not appealing to 'new' gamers is just nonsense to me. Persona 5 showed that the traditional turn-based combat system can still be utilised effectively and that game had huge sales. Granted P5's overall sales are probably half of FF15, but I don't think that's down to gameplay - it's just that Final Fantasy is a much bigger brand with a larger fanbase than the Persona series. 

Admittedly some of the FF7 minigames would probably need to be reimagined or removed for a new release as even in the original they are a little clunky and wouldn't work in the same way with modern consoles, and the world map section of the game would probably need a bit of a redesign as well, but these are minor tweaks. The battle system did not need to be overhauled and changed. Storyline elements did not need to be altered in any way. These are additional tasks Square has taken in which are, imo, totally unnecessary.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

I haven't been able to get into a FF game since 10, so the 'new' style definitely isn't for me. 

All I wanted from a FF7 remake was:

- next gen graphics
- a better translation and more effective telling of the story, which admittedly is a bit confusing in the original game

That's it. No storyline changes, no major gameplay changes - just some very minor tweaks to the original translation and upgraded graphics. The idea of the older gameplay not appealing to 'new' gamers is just nonsense to me. Persona 5 showed that the traditional turn-based combat system can still be utilised effectively and that game had huge sales. Granted P5's overall sales are probably half of FF15, but I don't think that's down to gameplay - it's just that Final Fantasy is a much bigger brand with a larger fanbase than the Persona series. 

Admittedly some of the FF7 minigames would probably need to be reimagined or removed for a new release as even in the original they are a little clunky and wouldn't work in the same way with modern consoles, and the world map section of the game would probably need a bit of a redesign as well, but these are minor tweaks. The battle system did not need to be overhauled and changed. Storyline elements did not need to be altered in any way. These are additional tasks Square has taken in which are, imo, totally unnecessary.

Aye, not disagreeing with you.

It's not necessarily why they decided to overhaul the combat system on the later FF games and now the remake, just my thoughts. 

I still enjoy the turn based combat and I would have preferred them to keep that in the remake.

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Aye, not disagreeing with you.

It's not necessarily why they decided to overhaul the combat system on the later FF games and now the remake, just my thoughts. 

I still enjoy the turn based combat and I would have preferred them to keep that in the remake.

Sorry that wasn't aimed specifically at you, more a general reflection on the idea that FF7 needs to be revamped for modern sensibilities. 

I don't really care that they changed the combat system for new FF games. It's their prerogative and the games continue to sell in good numbers so if they want to do that then that's fine. Just because it doesn't appeal to me doesn't mean a lot of other people won't enjoy it, and they obviously do judging from FF15 sales so that's cool. I have other franchises I can go to if I need my old school JRPG fix. Hell, there's a ton of older JRPG games with the traditional combat systems that I've never played, so I'm not starving for new content in that regard.

Funnily enough I think implementing the 'new' combat system was probably just easier for them than reimagining the traditional turn-based system. They basically just lifted what they'd already done on FF15 and tweaked it a little, rather than designing a new system from scratch. I get it even though I don't like it. Potential storyline changes bother me a lot more than the battle mechanic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

The FFVII Remake opening has been released:

As expected the graphics look incredible.

Interesting to compare to the PS3 technical demo from the mid-2000s:

And let's throw in the OG intro for the nostalgia feels:

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

On 24/01/2020 at 10:40, K-Hod said:

Was probably announced ages ago, but I’ve only just spotted that there is a new Resident Evil 3 remake, so that will be getting purchased in April! 

Nemesis looks goofy and Jill looks like a man.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

I played the demo last night, impressions are that I'm pleasantly surprised for the most part. Other than the one big problem I have with changing the story at the end of the bombing mission, the rest of the demo is very good. I notice that in this demo the opening is a lot shorter than the one Square-Enix officially released, starting in the same place as the original game with Aerith in the alleyway. I assume the full game will have the longer opening, maybe this demo is from a build that was created before the intro was expanded? Either way the new opening gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. 

Graphics are just amazing. They've done an incredible job with that. It really blew my mind seeing the game portrayed in such vivid detail. The overall atmosphere of the reactor is spot on as well. The music is basically remixes of the original themes as it should be, and it sounds great. Voice acting was on point too, although some of the dialogue was... meh. They've tried to keep to the spirit of the original translation for the most part though which I do appreciate. Another thing I found curious was that the mouths seem to be synced to the English voices rather than Japanese. Not sure if they've purposefully redone this for the English version of the game or if it's just been made this way on purpose.

Honestly I don't mind the combat system as much as I thought I would. It's cool that you can switch to 'classic' mode which essentially has the AI attack and defend automatically whilst you select commands (spells, summons, items, etc). I tried both combat modes and didn't mind either of them. 

Random side note, the first FF7 demo released back in 1996 was also the bombing mission ending at the same place :') although in that one you could play with Aerith in your team from the start, which you obviously can't do in the original. I believe there was a second demo released, also of the bombing mission, which had Tifa playable instead - although she was also unavailable at the beginning of the actual game.  

• Backroom

To be honest I doubt I'll get it when it comes out. As much as I'm anticipating the game I'm not paying £60 (normal edition) or £75 (deluxe edition) for it. Will wait until it sees a price decrease.