BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

• Backroom
4 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I rarely by games at full price. I've never paid £60 for one and as much as I love FF7, I wouldn't pay £60 for it.

Its being released in chapters as well, isn't it? I assume you're covered for all releases when buying it?

Hah, nope. They are treating every chapter as a full game so if you want to buy them on the day of release you'll be forking out a minimum of £60 each time. So if there's four chapters that's £240...

• Backroom
28 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

You're kidding?!? That's mental.

That's my understanding. There could be years between games so I guess from their perspective you're getting a full game each time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2020 at 08:54, DE. said:

I played the demo last night, impressions are that I'm pleasantly surprised for the most part. Other than the one big problem I have with changing the story at the end of the bombing mission, the rest of the demo is very good. I notice that in this demo the opening is a lot shorter than the one Square-Enix officially released, starting in the same place as the original game with Aerith in the alleyway. I assume the full game will have the longer opening, maybe this demo is from a build that was created before the intro was expanded? Either way the new opening gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. 

Graphics are just amazing. They've done an incredible job with that. It really blew my mind seeing the game portrayed in such vivid detail. The overall atmosphere of the reactor is spot on as well. The music is basically remixes of the original themes as it should be, and it sounds great. Voice acting was on point too, although some of the dialogue was... meh. They've tried to keep to the spirit of the original translation for the most part though which I do appreciate. Another thing I found curious was that the mouths seem to be synced to the English voices rather than Japanese. Not sure if they've purposefully redone this for the English version of the game or if it's just been made this way on purpose.

Honestly I don't mind the combat system as much as I thought I would. It's cool that you can switch to 'classic' mode which essentially has the AI attack and defend automatically whilst you select commands (spells, summons, items, etc). I tried both combat modes and didn't mind either of them. 

Random side note, the first FF7 demo released back in 1996 was also the bombing mission ending at the same place :') although in that one you could play with Aerith in your team from the start, which you obviously can't do in the original. I believe there was a second demo released, also of the bombing mission, which had Tifa playable instead - although she was also unavailable at the beginning of the actual game.  

I think a lot of cut scenes were removed from the demo. I saw some journalists play on youtube and they had a different version. They could play as far as where you rescue Aeries from the lab. 

I agree with your take above. I do find the battles tad drawn out though, but the original was the same. I continued paying the original last night. Very calming in these times.

That crazy, 4 full price games. I'm not against it, but god it's gonna take what, a decade? Unless they have a lot of work done already.  

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

In happier news- I’ve managed to get an N64 emulator working on my laptop. (It’s a MacBook, so that’s quite an achievement!) I’m also able to use my PS4 pad, ideal!

It also has emulators for mega drive and other consoles, so plenty of choice!

I’ve got the new Resident Evil pre ordered (out early next month and I’m going to have to succumb to buying Call of Duty, though the reviews have been solid.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think a lot of cut scenes were removed from the demo. I saw some journalists play on youtube and they had a different version. They could play as far as where you rescue Aeries from the lab. 

I agree with your take above. I do find the battles tad drawn out though, but the original was the same. I continued paying the original last night. Very calming in these times.

That crazy, 4 full price games. I'm not against it, but god it's gonna take what, a decade? Unless they have a lot of work done already.  

Yeah the demo cuts out quite early, so I expect the full version to have more to offer. As for how long the full FF7 story is going to take to flesh out over PS4/PS5, I guess you are probably looking at 7 or 8 years at least. Crazy stuff. 

13 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

In happier news- I’ve managed to get an N64 emulator working on my laptop. (It’s a MacBook, so that’s quite an achievement!) I’m also able to use my PS4 pad, ideal!

It also has emulators for mega drive and other consoles, so plenty of choice!

I’ve got the new Resident Evil pre ordered (out early next month and I’m going to have to succumb to buying Call of Duty, though the reviews have been solid.

I love the N64 games but hate the controller. I wish I could find an adapter for my OG N64 to use a PS1 controller - that would be ideal. 

• Backroom

So I was searching for something non-gaming related and came across the first-run edition of Advent Children I ordered way back in 2005 :')

I1mBNED.jpg

AKxP84R.jpg

Still in the shrink wrap, no less! The order form was in with it too, which says it shipped on 04/09/2005. 

Amusingly I also found the translation I printed out for the other Japanese version of AC that I ordered (I don't think an English release came out until April 2006).

8Gzljlx.jpg

yXqjkaN.jpg

5NO1SGt.jpg

It's still in amazing condition considering I printed that out roughly 14 years ago. I would have literally been watching through the movie at the time whilst reading this.

Since I'm posting pictures of old school FF7 stuff I might as well throw up my OG FF7 game, given to me at Christmas 1997 by my dad. I believe my initial reaction was something like 'what is this?' as I actually wanted WCW Vs the World.

GW4cSpY.jpg

"Official Playstation memory Card recommended" - yes I would say so, unless you fancy leaving your PS1 turned on non-stop for about a month.

aGQubRw.jpg

PeoH9VJ.jpg

KpI7KFH.jpg

nBmXgqt.jpg

Like a dipshit my younger self drew on the back of the manual for some reason.

m1kBVN3.jpg

• Like 1

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The Wii U pad or even pro controller ruined BOW for me. I just always found the, so stressful and difficult to press buttons on. Maybe that's because of Zeldas UI though. 

Did any of you play it? What ye think 

I still have to play Link to the Past and everything after it, let alone the latest Zelda games ? 

29 minutes ago, DE. said:

So I was searching for something non-gaming related and came across the first-run edition of Advent Children I ordered way back in 2005 :')

I1mBNED.jpg

AKxP84R.jpg

Still in the shrink wrap, no less! The order form was in with it too, which says it shipped on 04/09/2005. 

Amusingly I also found the translation I printed out for the other Japanese version of AC that I ordered (I don't think an English release came out until April 2006).

8Gzljlx.jpg

yXqjkaN.jpg

5NO1SGt.jpg

It's still in amazing condition considering I printed that out roughly 14 years ago. I would have literally been watching through the movie at the time whilst reading this.

Since I'm posting pictures of old school FF7 stuff I might as well throw up my OG FF7 game, given to me at Christmas 1997 by my dad. I believe my initial reaction was something like 'what is this?' as I actually wanted WCW Vs the World.

GW4cSpY.jpg

"Official Playstation memory Card recommended" - yes I would say so, unless you fancy leaving your PS1 turned on non-stop for about a month.

aGQubRw.jpg

PeoH9VJ.jpg

KpI7KFH.jpg

nBmXgqt.jpg

m1kBVN3.jpg

That's nice. Very nostalgic. 

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why? 

The only one I played before this was OOT and more recently Majoras mask on Wii u. 

I don't have BOTW and also have no system to play it on (I don't own a Wii U or Switch) but ideally I'd like to play the games in chronological order if possible. Link to the Past and the N64 games in particular are supposed to be very good so I'll get around to playing them at some point. I've also got Windwaker on the Gamecube which I haven't played yet. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

I don't have BOTW and also have no system to play it on (I don't own a Wii U or Switch) but ideally I'd like to play the games in chronological order if possible. Link to the Past and the N64 games in particular are supposed to be very good so I'll get around to playing them at some point. I've also got Windwaker on the Gamecube which I haven't played yet. 

I loved OOT and Majoras mask was probably better, but I didn't enjoy it as much because it was old when I played it. 

I think BOTW is over rated. Has some good points, but a lot of bad too. The way it was raved over doesn't really add up for me. Like its an 8 game at least, maybe more, but nowhere near the best ever. 

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I loved OOT and Majoras mask was probably better, but I didn't enjoy it as much because it was old when I played it. 

I think BOTW is over rated. Has some good points, but a lot of bad too. The way it was raved over doesn't really add up for me. Like its an 8 game at least, maybe more, but nowhere near the best ever. 

I've seen reviews on YouTube about both games and they look interesting, but also quite time consuming! I think the fact they are quite old now would probably hamper my enjoyment of them as well. I'd probably still get on OK with LTTP and Windwaker as the graphics and controls on both won't have aged as badly as the N64 games. In fact the majority of the games from the 16-bit era have aged a lot better than the 32-bit era imo, with some exceptions. 

I've heard Twilight Princess is very good, and I do have a Wii so that's a possibility for me at some point. I can't imagine I'll play BOTW any time soon - probably in about 15 years when the Wii U/Switch are retro ?

On 23/03/2020 at 15:54, DE. said:

I've now got Persona 5 Royal and the FF7 Remake on pre-order - so at least I'll have some good games to entertain myself with during these lonely times!

I must go back to Persona. I did like it, but I just got sidetracked with so many games.

Ah, I am debating whether to order FF7- did you order the physical copy? 

• Backroom
On 25/03/2020 at 12:13, Bigdoggsteel said:

I must go back to Persona. I did like it, but I just got sidetracked with so many games.

Ah, I am debating whether to order FF7- did you order the physical copy? 

Yeah the digital copies are a little pricey for my liking, especially the "deluxe" version at £75!! Can't imagine they'll be coming down in price any time soon either. I got the standard edition from gamecollection for £42.95 which seemed reasonable enough. They say they're including the summon DLC too. 

I am really looking forward to giving Persona another run through when Royal is released. Definitely my favourite non-VR game of the last decade. 

Edited by DE.

On 20/03/2020 at 11:13, DE. said:

I1mBNED.jpg

AKxP84R.jpg

8Gzljlx.jpg

yXqjkaN.jpg

5NO1SGt.jpg

GW4cSpY.jpg

aGQubRw.jpg

PeoH9VJ.jpg

KpI7KFH.jpg

nBmXgqt.jpg

m1kBVN3.jpg

Thats awesome.

Would that mint condition version of AC be worth anything?

• Backroom
52 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Thats awesome.

Would that mint condition version of AC be worth anything?

No idea but probably not ? I got the 'complete' version on Blu Ray a while back and I have to admit it's much better than the original cut. The story makes more sense and the extra scenes make it feel a lot more fleshed out. A lot of people rip on AC but I've always thought it was decent enough. Granted I've never watched it with the english voices, so it's possible the dub is just a pile of shit.  

• Backroom

Very impressed with ShopTo who have (quite literally) delivered by getting P5 Royal to me today. I believe the official release date in the UK is 31/03 so that's good going. 

2odbm0S.jpg

XswF824.jpg

5eaIrvs.jpg

eJrl4fr.jpg

9mTdMzk.jpg

Will be cracking on with this as soon as I finish work! 

Edited by DE.