BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wow, that looks very nice. 

There is a "Phantom Thieves" edition where you get a mask, OST, etc... but I know that stuff would only end up going in a pile somewhere so happy enough just to have the game. I bought the original with all the DLC though so this will be a different challenge for me, as having all of the DLC at the start of the game last time made things easier than they would have been otherwise. 

I have seen a lot of people overseas saying they are going to cancel their physical FF7 Remake preorder as they don't think they will be able to get the deliveries. I'm assuming/hoping that won't be the case here. Gamecollection haven't given any indication that it will be late anyway. 

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

There is a "Phantom Thieves" edition where you get a mask, OST, etc... but I know that stuff would only end up going in a pile somewhere so happy enough just to have the game. I bought the original with all the DLC though so this will be a different challenge for me, as having all of the DLC at the start of the game last time made things easier than they would have been otherwise. 

I have seen a lot of people overseas saying they are going to cancel their physical FF7 Remake preorder as they don't think they will be able to get the deliveries. I'm assuming/hoping that won't be the case here. Gamecollection haven't given any indication that it will be late anyway. 

Ya,I would imagine they will still be delivering,but who knows.

I might leave it closer to the date,just to be sure. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom

FF7 remake has been released early in Australia due to Coronavirus. Wondering if I'll get mine earlier than expected now. Considering I already have P5 Royal taking up a fair amount of time I'm in no rush tbh.

I'm working my way through the original FF8 for the first time since I played it when released. More than 20 years I suppose. Took me 3 hours to get out of Midgar. I'm in Junon now. Took me around 100 hours each of the 3 times I played it back then. Will be considerably less this time. I'm really enjoying it. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'm working my way through the original FF8 for the first time since I played it when released. More than 20 years I suppose. Took me 3 hours to get out of Midgar. I'm in Junon now. Took me around 100 hours each of the 3 times I played it back then. Will be considerably less this time. I'm really enjoying it. 

I'm guessing you meant FF7, unless there's a special version of FF8 I haven't played ? but yeah the original FF7 is still an absolute classic and a blast to play through. Some of the graphics look very outdated nowadays but it has enough nostalgic charm for me that I can ignore stuff like that. For me everything about the original game is close to perfect, with only the translation and at times abundance of random battles a bit of an annoyance. Good thing is on the rereleased PS4/XBOX/Steam version you can turn off random battles and also speed the game up with helps immeasurably with the more tedious parts of the game. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DE. said:

I'm guessing you meant FF7, unless there's a special version of FF8 I haven't played ? but yeah the original FF7 is still an absolute classic and a blast to play through. Some of the graphics look very outdated nowadays but it has enough nostalgic charm for me that I can ignore stuff like that. For me everything about the original game is close to perfect, with only the translation and at times abundance of random battles a bit of an annoyance. Good thing is on the rereleased PS4/XBOX/Steam version you can turn off random battles and also speed the game up with helps immeasurably with the more tedious parts of the game. 

Yes,I meant 7. The random battle music still makes me jump ? I nearly went mad trying to get a chococbo there. They run away so quickly. 

Obviously I bet the snake using the limit break and infinite health hack. My god, you ain't beating that at that stage of the game without it. Interesting that a new one just appears then. I always thought it would just be gone. Although I surely killed it first time around eventually as well. 

Some of the graphics look like art to me, the towns in particular. But ya, the difference between cut scenes is actually crazy. The blocky stuff looks dated. 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes,I meant 7. The random battle music still makes me jump ? I nearly went mad trying to get a chococbo there. They run away so quickly. 

Obviously I bet the snake using the limit break and infinite health hack. My god, you ain't beating that at that stage of the game without it. Interesting that a new one just appears then. I always thought it would just be gone. Although I surely killed it first time around eventually as well. 

Some of the graphics look like art to me, the towns in particular. But ya, the difference between cut scenes is actually crazy. The blocky stuff looks dated. 

I can remember a long time ago (when I was still playing it on the PS1, so at least 20 years ago now!) I went through the whole process of creating the best chocobo. Can't remember if it was golden or black now but it took forever. I eventually did it though. I think you gain access to a specific island by doing so. Also makes winning the races at the Gold Saucer very easy :) 

Midgar Zolom is practically impossible to beat without the battle hack early on in the game. I just used to run past it, but yeah it's strange that it instantly respawns after you've beaten it. You also see it impaled on a tree from memory so I guess there are just a lot of them living in that little pond ?

One thing that always stuck with me regarding the cutscenes was the one where Cloud puts Aerith in the water at the end of the first disc.

**SPOILERS AHEAD FOR ANYONE WHO INEXPLICABLY DOESN'T KNOW THE STORY AND IS PLANNING TO PLAY THE GAME AT SOME POINT**

I remember somebody saying that if Aerith was dead her body would float, not sink, so the fact she sunk to the bottom suggests she was still alive and Cloud technically drowned her ? makes that scene a bit darker in retrospect!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DE. said:

I can remember a long time ago (when I was still playing it on the PS1, so at least 20 years ago now!) I went through the whole process of creating the best chocobo. Can't remember if it was golden or black now but it took forever. I eventually did it though. I think you gain access to a specific island by doing so. Also makes winning the races at the Gold Saucer very easy :) 

Midgar Zolom is practically impossible to beat without the battle hack early on in the game. I just used to run past it, but yeah it's strange that it instantly respawns after you've beaten it. You also see it impaled on a tree from memory so I guess there are just a lot of them living in that little pond ?

One thing that always stuck with me regarding the cutscenes was the one where Cloud puts Aerith in the water at the end of the first disc.

**SPOILERS AHEAD FOR ANYONE WHO INEXPLICABLY DOESN'T KNOW THE STORY AND IS PLANNING TO PLAY THE GAME AT SOME POINT**

I remember somebody saying that if Aerith was dead her body would float, not sink, so the fact she sunk to the bottom suggests she was still alive and Cloud technically drowned her ? makes that scene a bit darker in retrospect!

Oh ya, I bred the gold one too. Actually a few of them. I actually had so much gil, I had nothing left to buy. 

Weren't there rumours about ways to revive her and that she wasn't dead? Pre proper internet days. 

On 02/04/2020 at 12:44, Bigdoggsteel said:

When that Boss music dropped for the first time.....I was hyped when that kicked in.

• Like 1

• Backroom
3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I also see that Persona 5 was given 10/10 by a game spot review and 9.7 by IGN.

Must be some game!

Undoubtedly one of my favourite games of all time, although it really does depend on what you like. I could completely understand someone not really feeling it. I've already logged 50+ hours in Royal having played 200+ on the original - although in my defence lockdown has played a part in the amount of time I've logged on Royal so far! I've had it on whilst doing other things too which will artifically inflate the play time somewhat. 

Quite a few people in the UK already have the FF7 remake by the looks of things - unfortunately gamecollection look to be sticking to the official release date or close enough. With that said Royal is more than tiding me over until it arrives so it doesn't bother me. 

• Backroom

One thing I do appreciate about P5 and something which most of my favourite games boast is the excellent soundtrack. The music in the game is top notch.

The above is pretty much burned into my brain forever after I listened to it for 45 minutes on loop fighting the 'ultimate' bosses in the game. You can only challenge them after completing the game once and doing a second run, and JHC are they difficult. I lost to them at least a dozen times before finally beating them after about 2 months of trying. A triumphant victory but probably too much time invested.

Edited by DE.

• Backroom

I'm mainly just hoping I can have Japanese audio with English subs. I was listening to the English voice acting in the final trailer and it sounded awful to me tbh.

I thought it sounded OK in the demo but a lot of this sounds really bad and robotic to me. Even if it's just dubtitles I'd still rather have the Japanese VA's on as to me they always sound more natural. Probably because I technically can't understand what they're saying anyway. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

I played Microsoft Flight Simulator X back in the day, it was quite fun but I could never land the bloody plane. Always crashed! I'd love to play a game like that in VR though.

Tip for anyone playing PS5 Royal and who happens to stumble across this thread for some reason - for the Okumura boss fight put the difficulty up to merciless. It sounds ridiculous to suggest increasing the difficulty to the highest setting but it's practically the only way to beat this guy. Merciless increases damage you receive but more importantly also increases the damage enemies receive. For enemies that run away after 2 turns and then respawn, such as this fight, you need to kill 'em fast and merciless is almost the only way to do it. This boss fight is really broken though, way too difficult and no way should you be required to switch the difficulty up to win. Thank god I got it done after only two attempts, have read it has taken people literally hours to get past this point. 

None of the above is relevent to the original game as it's nowhere near as hard in that one. For some reason Atlus decided to make it virtually impossible in Royal for just bants I guess. 

Up to Sector 7 in the FF7 Remake. The game truly is stunning visually, undoubtedly will go down as one of the best graphical games in the PS4 library. Gameplay is decent enough, reminds me of FF15 so anyone who enjoyed that should like FF7R as well. 

8 hours ago, DE. said:

Up to Sector 7 in the FF7 Remake. The game truly is stunning visually, undoubtedly will go down as one of the best graphical games in the PS4 library. Gameplay is decent enough, reminds me of FF15 so anyone who enjoyed that should like FF7R as well. 

Damn my cursed Xbox! 

I know it's a timed exclusive but I don't wanna wait that long ☹

• Backroom
3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Damn my cursed Xbox! 

I know it's a timed exclusive but I don't wanna wait that long ☹

That sucks man. Part of the reason I bought my PS4 was for the FF7 Remake actually. When it was announced way back in 2015 my most recent console was an XBOX 360, so I figured once the remake came out I'd upgrade to a PS4. Obviously I was naive in thinking it would be out within a year or two! As it turned out Sony released PSVR and I ended up buying a PS4 for that anyway around October 2016, but I was still expecting FF7R to be out by 2018 at the latest! I can't believe it's taken this long - just when the PS5 is around the corner. If future instalments come out on PS5, which I am assuming they will be, I guess I'll be upgrading again!