BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

I know most of you are sad console types, but if like me you're a PC Gamer may I suggest you have a look at these:

1)

- Makes Command and Conquer look like playing with micromachines in a sandbox;

talking of which

2) Kane Returns

Not like RTS? Well then there's

3)

Or this could possibly the greatest, most unique, most challenging and genre breaking game since some bloke thought that rearanging different shaped blocks into rows was more addictive than Crack Cocaine

4) Cherynoble as a holiday destination? STALKER

However, and here's the big however - you'll need a decent PC and graphics card for these.

But hey thats what inheritance is for - thanks gran.

As I recall, once you sneaked through the legs of Mr Stay Puft, that was it - you had completed the game. No celebratory screen or anything, just the satisfaction of a job well done.

Are we talking about the same game? I remember that there was a top down look at buildings and you had to drive your car round them doing little missions. When it was getting close to game over they would start to turn red (or green I think) and then you would just die. I remember spending lots of time playing it but never really thinking there was an end.

In fact, THIS was it (just had a quick play and its awful :D )

Are we talking about the same game? I remember that there was a top down look at buildings and you had to drive your car round them doing little missions. When it was getting close to game over they would start to turn red (or green I think) and then you would just die. I remember spending lots of time playing it but never really thinking there was an end.

In fact, THIS was it (just had a quick play and its awful :D )

I think Wolverine is right about Mr Stay Puft. I had the speccy version and as you say cocker, you play around the top down map but when you got to a ghost location, you got a front on view of the building where you would have to lay the trap and use the beams to trap the slimers. I do believe that at the end of the game you did face a Stay-Puft and had to simply run past him (or was it just a cut scene?).

Just found this on another site which seems to suggest this is right for all home versions:-

Home Version Similarities: all home versions have: only one level/version to play; a series of screens to show the action similar to the movie:

a) setting up your franchise with a $10K budget & multiple choices such as equipment;

B ) view the 4X5 block city map to see locations of Roamers and Slimers (inside flashing red buildings). Watch for the MMM alert, and use up to 5 dollups of Bait - hit the letter “B” - which attracts the MMM to you and prevents a city block from destruction; move your GB icon about the city

c) drive the streets on that specific route, see your vehicle and try to vacuum the “Roamers”

d) arrive on location to capture each Slimer at various city buildings - but don’t take too long, don’t cross the streams & don’t get slimed,

e) recharge your backpack, empty all traps & refresh your 3 GB men at HQ;

f) when PK energy reaches 9999 the game ends if you’ve not earned a profit, if you did see the Stay Puft Mash Mellow Man close up and duck past him into Zuul – then watch sparks fly while closing the gateway to the other dimension.

The quicker you capture Slimers, the more money you’ll earn. Catch them just as they appear, cause if you wait too long they will escape – right in front of your eyes; Don’t plan a long route only to find you have filled your traps, ran out of power, or your men need a rest at HQ. You’ll hear the non-stop playing of the GB theme song – well done & full length, but still repetitive hearing it constantly for 15+ minutes each round. A music toggle would have been nice, especially in favor of more sound effects or speech. The C64 & Spectrum versions also have speech during the game - when you capture the Slimer “Ghostbusters”, or if you miss, then “He Slimed Me”, and when you get squished by the Marsh Mellow Man, “Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha”

Edited by Biddy

I know most of you are sad console types, but if like me you're a PC Gamer may I suggest you have a look at these:

1)

- Makes Command and Conquer look like playing with micromachines in a sandbox;

talking of which

2) Kane Returns

Not like RTS? Well then there's

3)

Or this could possibly the greatest, most unique, most challenging and genre breaking game since some bloke thought that rearanging different shaped blocks into rows was more addictive than Crack Cocaine

4) Cherynoble as a holiday destination? STALKER

However, and here's the big however - you'll need a decent PC and graphics card for these.

But hey thats what inheritance is for - thanks gran.

Why not just enjoy what both can offer since you can obviously afford it. I do! :D

got a ps2, 360 and top notch pc and am in gaming heaven.

That way you get to buy the best version of most games e.g.

Splinter cell on PC - bug ridden. On 360 - superb

Rainbow 6 is better on 360 as well

pes 6 on a PC - forget it.

same goes for Burnout

having said that

Far cry, Fear, call of duty et all all play miles better on the PC. I wouldn't even consider an RTS on a console. And there was no way I was going to buy the 360 version of Oblivion (twas £20 cheaper on PC as well)

As for your selection there, Crysis looks superb, but a bit reticent about having to upgrade to Vista to get the most out of it.

2 Games I am looking forward to are Bioshock and Alan Wake (another vista upgrade required to get the best out of it) both on 360 as well for you console junkies.

Alan Wake

Bioshock

Are we talking about the same game?

Definately the same game.

If the same premise can be recreated on a next generation platform, then I see no reason why it couldn't revive interest in the series.

I would like to see a version loosely based on the first film, starting with all of them getting kicked out of NYU, and having to purchase premises, equipment and vehicles.

It would either be brilliant or aweful, but the free roaming video's look great, and I would love to use a PKE meter to find ghosts. The thing that suggests they may be fake to me is that no 'trap' is used - the ghosts seem to just disappear...

Remember - if someone asks you if you are a god, you say YES!

ahem.

Why not just enjoy what both can offer since you can obviously afford it. I do! :D

got a ps2, 360 and top notch pc and am in gaming heaven.

That way you get to buy the best version of most games e.g.

Splinter cell on PC - bug ridden. On 360 - superb

Rainbow 6 is better on 360 as well

pes 6 on a PC - forget it.

same goes for Burnout

having said that

Far cry, Fear, call of duty et all all play miles better on the PC. I wouldn't even consider an RTS on a console. And there was no way I was going to buy the 360 version of Oblivion (twas £20 cheaper on PC as well)

As for your selection there, Crysis looks superb, but a bit reticent about having to upgrade to Vista to get the most out of it.

2 Games I am looking forward to are Bioshock and Alan Wake (another vista upgrade required to get the best out of it) both on 360 as well for you console junkies.

Alan Wake

Bioshock

Id say Arcady games are console kings, however, I can just afford the ninja PC im looking at but cant go that bit extra to get the PS3 as well, I'll probably wait until they decide which HD Dvd system they're going for then make my decision, also I'll be able to get one for my PC at half the cost in a years time anyroad.

As for the Vista upgrade - its for the DirectX10 which only the Nvidia 8800 graphics card is compatable with. Got one of those on a half decent processor and your FPS will be near 4 digits.

Also paying this much for a PC means its likely to last me for 5 - 10 years before being obsolete

or so I hope anyway

• 4 weeks later...

Getting back to the ghostbusters game, it would appear that Sony have pulled the videos from youtube.

Two trains of thought - the game is in production with Sony's backing for PS3 but they don't want too much slipping out.

More likely, unfortunately, is that zootfly were working on the game without permission and it has been blocked by Sony (the copyright holders) from working on it.

The videos sparked debate and excitement across the net and it is hoped whatever happened, this widely positive reception to a game that probably doesn't exist could well see Sony move to approve the game, what with them liking money and everything.

Who knows, if it was released and revived the career, perhaps Ramis would find it easier to finally get production of Ghostbusters III back on track...

So I found Superman Returns on a budget price and although I had heard bad things and wasn't that impressed with the demo, I decided to get it for some easy achievement points...it's so bad I'm lost for words. Holy crap, how could they get it THAT wrong? How can you not make a "sandbox" superman game just even a little bit fun? I don't get it!

It looks bad, the voice acting is extremely uninspired, the story doesn't make any sense (it even manages to get the movie tie-in bit wrong..ffs), the chapter system definitely doesn't make any sense and playability is absolutely awful.

I dont know if you have bought Superman yet but if you havent then take my advise and SAVE YOUR MONEY.

It is fun flying around for a bit but it soon becomes boring. I really enjoyed Spiderman and thought this looked the same and I thought that the only difference would be the flying instead of webslinging - very wrong.

Dont say you havent been warned.

Oh Shev, I did warn you.

I have played more of it since the first post and my word why is the game so repetative? You have to fight the same baddies over and over again (about 10 times) before you get a new bit of level)

I really do think its the worst game on the PS2

Edited by Cocker

Putting aside the bad games for a moment, a game I strongly recommend everyone getting is Crackdown. Absolutely superb, I've been playing it constantly over the weekend.

grrr... waiting till the bloody thing comes out. Played a lot of the demo.

I'm a sucker for superhero games so I had to get it eventually...but I kinda wish I didn't.

Well to be fair I too am a sucker for these types of games (especially when it promises you can fly around the place) I would probably have bought it too had I not borrowed it first. I took me a week to get through it (no, not 100%, there is now way as superman I am going to fly round the place looking for cats that dont move - those who have been unlucky enought to play it will know what I am talking about)

Now, onto two promising superhero games coming up:-

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - yes, we remember this with fond memories as children (well I do anyway) but this game looks to be a very serious one indeed. What they have looked to have done is to take the game dynamics of prince of persia and throw in the Turtles for early vids see this - Click

The second I would like to talk about is Spiderman 3. Now, in recent times the spiderman games have been excellent. These are where the superman guys need to look and see what they did wrong - again, early screens here - Click

Now, onto two promising superhero games coming up:-

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - yes, we remember this with fond memories as children (well I do anyway) but this game looks to be a very serious one indeed. What they have looked to have done is to take the game dynamics of prince of persia and throw in the Turtles for early vids see this - Click

The second I would like to talk about is Spiderman 3. Now, in recent times the spiderman games have been excellent. These are where the superman guys need to look and see what they did wrong - again, early screens here - Click

Yes, I was about to post about Spidey 3 too. I've really enjoyed the last few years worth of Spider-Man games and I can't wait for this one. But then again, I'm a huge Spidey fan and I'd get it if it happens to be rubbish too. I think this will deliver though. Looks very promising. I'm excited about the TMNT game too, it looks like a lot of fun and it will be great to go back to my childhood on this one. Primed for nostalgia I think. There's been a bit of talk about the TRANSFORMERS game coming up too (another movie tie in) and it is supposedly another sandbox type game where you get to transform as often and as much as you like. Should be interesting to follow its development.

I finished Cains Camen Edit (Bully) at the weekend.

Very nice polished game which you can pick up for about £15 now.

Only problems were:-

Its very short

I didnt die once

You should be able to drive cars (I know he is only a school kid but it would have been nice)