BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Oh man, I loved the division but got frustrated at its repetativeness online and stopped playing a year or so ago. I played for a week or so a few a big update but had been left behind. Is it worth coming back to?

Division 2 is much better in that regard, there is still some repetitiveness but it is much better in that regard with more variety.  It improves on the first one in almost every area.

• Backroom
On 31/03/2019 at 23:28, Tom said:

Not sure any console will ever top my Amiga 500+ what a time to be alive 

Still have my Amiga 500, in fact a few years ago I even installed a new floppy drive as the old one wasn't working anymore. Was pretty cool opening it up and seeing what was inside. It was amazingly easy and cheap to find the replacement part on eBay too... possibly not so much these days.

I took the plunge and downloaded FF7. It looks great and I'm having a real nostalgia trip. I like ability to speed it up,not die and turn off battles. I ground through that game 3 times at over 300 hours on the PS1. Now I just want to enjoy the view. I'm still in Midgar, so early days. The soundtrack is the best in any game ever made for me. 

Also downloaded Persona 5 and Borderlands the handsome collection for a combined last night. Persona was €24.99 and Borderlands an absolute steal at €9.99. 

• Backroom

Sounds like you're in for a good time! Turning off random battles in FF7 is great when you just want to explore the area a bit and not enter a battle even five seconds. The only thing I found a little frustrating was how the pre-rendered backgrounds sometimes don't make it obvious where you can and can't go. There were a few occasions when I was constantly running at and against the background to work out where I could enter the next area, only to find it was a tiny space somewhere. Sometimes you have the arrows to help guide you, but only if you're exiting a screen. If you're on the same screen then it's just a case of trial and error. Also even with God mode on I still can't beat Ruby Weapon ?

You need to get on P5 ASAP big dogg. If you get into it then be prepared for it to take up a chunk of your life though.

• Like 1

Just purchased a 2nd hand PS Vita slim. I had been flirting with the idea for a while and managed to get one in excellent condition for €100 with Ninja gaiden. I have a load of PS plus games that are either just for the Vita or crossplay and I am looking forward to tackling these. The emulation capabilities are something I haven't looked into too much, but I am looking forward to doing so,. From my research the Vita is a serious bit of kit that just never really took off as much as it should. 

• Backroom

The Vita is a nice piece of kit, well worth getting with a lot of good games. I went a slightly different route and got a PSTV for about £40 as I don't really play games on the go, so I figured having a stationary Vita was fine. I mainly got it for Persona 4 Golden, though, as at the moment I believe having a Vita/PSTV is the only way to play it. I got a little way into it but not much further yet. 

11 hours ago, DE. said:

The Vita is a nice piece of kit, well worth getting with a lot of good games. I went a slightly different route and got a PSTV for about £40 as I don't really play games on the go, so I figured having a stationary Vita was fine. I mainly got it for Persona 4 Golden, though, as at the moment I believe having a Vita/PSTV is the only way to play it. I got a little way into it but not much further yet. 

Ya, I am thinking about playing that before starting 5

On 03/04/2019 at 15:24, Bigdoggsteel said:

I took the plunge and downloaded FF7. It looks great and I'm having a real nostalgia trip. I like ability to speed it up,not die and turn off battles. I ground through that game 3 times at over 300 hours on the PS1. Now I just want to enjoy the view. I'm still in Midgar, so early days. The soundtrack is the best in any game ever made for me. 

Also downloaded Persona 5 and Borderlands the handsome collection for a combined last night. Persona was €24.99 and Borderlands an absolute steal at €9.99. 

When that boss music came on for the first time........

• Like 2

• Backroom
10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, I am thinking about playing that before starting 5

Much like the FF series they're all standalone games, so you won't have a problem if you do start at 5. That said, the graphical downgrade from 5 to 4 is pretty brutal (4 was a PS2 game) so starting with 4 might be better. One of the biggest problems I had going from 5 to 4 was how primitive the former game looks. The graphics and art style in general on P5 are top notch.

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

When that boss music came on for the first time........

Hoping the FF7 remake makes the music sound as epic as this B)

On 01/04/2019 at 06:28, Tom said:

Not sure any console will ever top my Amiga 500+ what a time to be alive 

Yup, I had the Amiga 500.

Shadow Beast, Wings, Lemmings, Turrican II, Speedball 2, Sensible World of Soccer, Stunt Car Racer, Populous, Supercars II, Flashback, and Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 are just some of the awesome games I remember off the top of my head.

12 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Yup, I had the Amiga 500.

Shadow Beast, Wings, Lemmings, Turrican II, Speedball 2, Sensible World of Soccer, Stunt Car Racer, Populous, Supercars II, Flashback, and Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 are just some of the awesome games I remember off the top of my head.

Loved Speedball 2. I think Jerome Anderson was the clubs agent in that , some dodgy looking characters. Although I wouldn't mind having a couple of them in defence this season 

speedball_2_brutal_deluxe_2.jpg

• Like 1

Just on FF7.

I've taken full advantage of the new "features" on the re-released versions and my 3 main characters are all at level 50, around 7500HP and 650+MP (thanks to some HP/MP plus Materia (maxed)) all with their Limit Breaks at level 3.

I've not closed out disc 1 yet...

(All in good prep for Emerald and Ruby)

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Just on FF7.

I've taken full advantage of the new "features" on the re-released versions and my 3 main characters are all at level 50, around 7500HP and 650+MP (thanks to some HP/MP plus Materia (maxed)) all with their Limit Breaks at level 3.

Is that a foreign language?

?

• Backroom
10 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Just on FF7.

I think I'm on something like level 62/63 with most of my characters and still can't beat Ruby Weapon... even with god mode on! I was able to beat Emerald handily though, it just took forever as I believe he has 1 million HP ?

My god I ground so much to beat those 2 weapons in the original.

I actually came up with a plan to have all characters limit breaks kick in at the start of the fights. I haven't seen this tip given anywhere else, so it probably just shows how sad I am. 

I used to find the wolf enemies outside Midgar. Do a spell to shrink them,at which point they do 1 damage point. I would then let them hit my character until the got to 7677 Hit points. I would then kill them. so I would enter the weapon fights with all characters on 7677 Hit points and immediately take 3 potions, bumping my characters up to 7777 Hitpoints. So boom, hit them with that and then immediately into Knights of the round. 

At the moment in my first play through in probably 20 years, I am trying to infiltrate don Corleones mansion. I can't wait to see how they handle this in the remake. 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

My god I ground so much to beat those 2 weapons in the original.

I actually came up with a plan to have all characters limit breaks kick in at the start of the fights. I haven't seen this tip given anywhere else, so it probably just shows how sad I am. 

I used to find the wolf enemies outside Midgar. Do a spell to shrink them,at which point they do 1 damage point. I would then let them hit my character until the got to 7677 Hit points. I would then kill them. so I would enter the weapon fights with all characters on 7677 Hit points and immediately take 3 potions, bumping my characters up to 7777 Hitpoints. So boom, hit them with that and then immediately into Knights of the round. 

At the moment in my first play through in probably 20 years, I am trying to infiltrate don Corleones mansion. I can't wait to see how they handle this in the remake. 

There were a few methods to beating Emerald and Ruby weapons but they both involved a shed load of time being invested.

Getting KOTR was a job in itself but then you needed mime and quadra magic.

Cast KOTRx4 (linked with quadra magic) then mime the last command so it repeats at zero mp cost (i think?)

Have Phoenix linked to final attack just incase you die and have a reasonable stock of Megaelixirs to boot.

Problem was, you need most of those materia's to be maxed out, which took forever.

With Ruby, you also had to go into a random battle first and kill off 2 characters, this then stopped Ruby putting its arms into the ground and spawning those tentacles behind you which nick all your HP/MP.

Yeah............i've played this game too much.

Edited by davulsukur

• Backroom

Yeah, that's definitely too much effort for me :lol: I might just have to accept never being able to beat Ruby weapon. Fun fact, Ruby and Emerald weapon weren't in the original Japanese release. They were added in for the international releases and then that version was re-released back in Japan, fittingly as "FF7 International". 

I get the feeling there will be a lot of changes to the Wall Market section in the remake. Unfortunate but I'm not sure the cross-dressing and prostitution will be something modern Sony or Square-Enix are willing to promote! As a kid I didn't really understand wtf was going on during that whole section. 

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

I've always avoided the two mentioned Weapons as they smash me all the time, though I am currently trying to get Knights of the Round and Mime maxxed out. As for the cross dressing bit, I think that's going to be dropped so people don't get upset about it. I think I read that when the remake was first announced. 

If you can beat Emerald weapon without a max kotr, stick it in a triple growth weapon/armour and you'll get 150,000 AP.

Still not enough to max it out mind you!!

• Backroom

It is possible to beat Emerald without KOTR, but it takes a loooooong time. If you get the Underwater Materia then it takes away the 20m time limit, at least. I think it took me about 35m to beat Emerald weapon. Ruby is far harder. The tactics you need to beat it don't really make any sense - for example starting the battle with two of your characters KO'd so that it can't knock them out of battle straight away. Feels like Ruby was made a little too strong, and requires manipulating the materia/battle system in order to win, which isn't really the point. 

• 2 weeks later...

Actually seems the wrong way round as well. You beat Emerald and trade the earth harp for master magic, summon and command materia and then beat ruby, trade the desert rose for a gold chocobo, which you must have already so you can get KOTR  to beat Ruby/Emerald in the first place!

• 3 weeks later...