Cocker

New Games/General Gaming

3 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

Ha I should’ve read all your posts! Can’t remember if the games were slower but I definitely remember being able to rent Japanese games from my local video shop. I believe it was because the Japanese games were wider than European and American releases, so just filing the port would’ve allowed anyone to play them. There were some really cool Japanese games, always a bit different. One that sticks in my head was where you created a monster and fought other creatures, presumably an early version of Pokemon/monster hunter. Impossible to play in Japanese of course. There was also a game where you were (I think) a construction worker with a big mallet in vertical stages attacking monsters that jumped down platforms towards you. Happy days 😊 Another advantage to the Japanese MD was that it had a nice red colour on the top rather than the creamy/beige one on the European systems. The less said about the US “Genesis” the better. And their SNES was truly horrible looking. My favourite MD games were the mighty Streets of rage series with its wonderful music, SF2, and the desert strike series. Special mentions to megalomania, toe jam and earl, the immortal, and gunstar heroes.

That was actually a fascinating read. I’ve been thinking about opening my decks to give the pitch slider a good clean, it’s a job that requires some soldering and I’ve been holding off but your experience might have just given me the courage to try it out. 

I definitely want to acquire a Japanese MD one of these days, but I'm already on thin ice having ordered two more of "those damn machines" from eBay ("why the hell do you need four of the same console?" - not placated by my explanations of different motherboard revisions) so I'll probably have to wait a while :) the Japanese MD is definitely the best looking of the lot imo, although I also really like the design of the Mega Drive 1. 

I can't really remember how region locking works with US/European systems and Japanese games, but you're right in that if you just file the corners of the opening port it will allow the cartridge to fit. I actually don't think Japanese games had any region coding so unless the system itself locked the game out it wouldn't be an issue. 

There was a Monster Hunter game on the MD - Monster Hunter IV I believe, and I think I read it's being included on the Sega Mega Drive mini that's coming out (translated of course). The construction worker game sounds like Hammerin' Harry but that was an NES release rather than a MD release, so probably not. 

Edited by DE.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's a stonewall classic game.

Have you played Mother Russia bleeds?  It's rock hard. I had to give up near the end. For my shame. 

Nope never played that one - is it similar to Streets of Rage?

22 hours ago, DE. said:

That should be well enough to get a very nice sounding soundbar tbh, I'd keep an eye on hotukdeals as soundbars often come up on there for good prices.

I'm guessing you're talking about the atgames mini MD? That's just a 'system on a chip' so even if you did open it I don't think there would be much you could do to it. I think some of the asian MD's were region free by default so would play any games, however I'm guessing it would still default to 50hz for PAL games so a 50/60hz switch would still need to be modded onto it for full affect, Not 100% on that though as I've never owned one!

It is that atgames mini one. I had lost a few of the leads for the original mega drive(s) so I bought that. Thinking about it, the mega drive 2 I have must have been PAL, as I got it when I lived in Hong Kong and that was a PAL region. We had an even older JVC TV we brought over that worked. Not that TV was much cop there. My primary school teacher had a side job presenting major sporting events like the Olympics.

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

It is that atgames mini one. I had lost a few of the leads for the original mega drive(s) so I bought that. Thinking about it, the mega drive 2 I have must have been PAL, as I got it when I lived in Hong Kong and that was a PAL region. We had an even older JVC TV we brought over that worked. Not that TV was much cop there. My primary school teacher had a side job presenting major sporting events like the Olympics.

The atgames system is kind of notorious for being poor quality to be honest, but yeah it's just a flash chip essentially so the type of mods you'd do on a normal MD wouldn't work on that. There's a Mega Drive mini coming out in October which will blow the atgames system out of the water. I've got it (secretly) on pre-order, but it's £70 so not exactly cheap.

I think most non-Japanese asian consoles are also PAL, but the cartridge shape is different so you need to alter any non-Asian MD to accept the slightly wider cartridge shape. The Mega Drive 2 itself was produced in both NTSC and PAL variants, but it has a totally different motherboard to the MD1 (and is generally considered inferior). Modding a MD2 is totally different to a MD1 as it doesn't have the JP1/2/3/4 jumpers. Most of the mods I've seen use the reset button to switch region, and a new LED light which changes colour depending on the region you've selected. I definitely prefer the MD1 method!

Edited by DE.

I wouldn't mod any of them, as I have never been good at any technical things. I've been better at the theory than the practical. I also won't buy the new official mega drive mini as I have the atgames one, which still works. I like getting my money's worth out of anything.

9 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So much set up on them I wouldn't blame you. That's another reason why I haven't moved mine to Dublin.

When I signed up to Virgin TV I got a €150 voucher for PC world/Currys , so I bought the soundbar from that. I think the brand is Sounstrom or something like that, I would have to check. It doesn't have a subwoofer or isn't a big brand, but I find it perfect. I connect it directly to my PS4 via an optical cable

What I mostly use for movies/gaming is this set-up

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ERLN180/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EOPT0VG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Not when watching with the the missus though obviously :) 

Cool,cheers.

Headphones? Sounds like the perfect thing to have when watching tv with the mrs!

I did have a pair for when she went to bed and I stayed up but now I have 2 young kids so I need to be able to keep an ear out for them. In a couple of years, I'll probably buy another pair though.

I'll check out soundbars, need to make sure Moana gets the full works when The Rock is belting out "You're welcome" (yer, I have 2 daughters)

Bought a boxed OG Master System from eBay for more than I really should have... but YOLO I guess. I've got a couple of Master System II variants which were very cheap but the original Master System looks much better.  Just a shame it's also much more expensive!

Anyone played the new Call of Duty Modern Warfare? I think you could play a Beta if you pre order on the PS4 network. Any opinions so far? 

Not my kind of game, unfortunately. Am currently working my way through Chaos;Child which is a lot longer than I thought it would be.

Bought the Amanita Bundle in the recent Steam sale and their games seem beautiful.

CHUCHEL is a funny game - fairly simply, and a kind of coffee-break game, but the art, characters, and humour are all superb. Definitely a game that will cheer you up for a few hours.

Machinarium is a game that I've only just started, but it's a point n click adventure game where you play as a robot. Being a huge fan of that genre (Monkey Island's fault!), this one feels like a good 'un so far.

Looking forward to trying their other games, especially the Samorost series. If you love point n click games, and quirky art and design, then Amanita Design have a number of games that might satisfy you.

The Outer Worlds came onto Xbox game pass on release.

Its basically just fall out 3/4 in space with brighter coloured things around. 

Not necessarily a bad thing mind you. Good game so far.

I'm still on FM18 at the moment. I usually buy a new FM in 3/4 year cycles so will probably pick up next year's, or maybe the one after that. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

I'm still on FM18 at the moment. I usually buy a new FM in 3/4 year cycles so will probably pick up next year's, or maybe the one after that. 

Do you always start with Rovers? 

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

Do you always start with Rovers? 

Yeah pretty much. I tend to do other clubs eventually but I'd feel bad if I didn't start my first game with Rovers! I'm in 2040 in my current FM18 game - Rovers are the best team in the world by this point and Venky's are long gone, so life is good :) I've been playing this save for nearly a year though. I don't get that much time to play FM, and when I do it's usually mixed with watching something or writing, so my games tend to move a little slowly.

On 26/08/2019 at 12:50, DE. said:

The atgames system is kind of notorious for being poor quality to be honest, but yeah it's just a flash chip essentially so the type of mods you'd do on a normal MD wouldn't work on that. There's a Mega Drive mini coming out in October which will blow the atgames system out of the water. I've got it (secretly) on pre-order, but it's £70 so not exactly cheap.

I think most non-Japanese asian consoles are also PAL, but the cartridge shape is different so you need to alter any non-Asian MD to accept the slightly wider cartridge shape. The Mega Drive 2 itself was produced in both NTSC and PAL variants, but it has a totally different motherboard to the MD1 (and is generally considered inferior). Modding a MD2 is totally different to a MD1 as it doesn't have the JP1/2/3/4 jumpers. Most of the mods I've seen use the reset button to switch region, and a new LED light which changes colour depending on the region you've selected. I definitely prefer the MD1 method!

£60 until December 2nd. I've completely fallen behind on console gaming in recent years. Not going to get a PS4 though with the PS5 set to come out next year. Then again I suppose there are pre-owned options no issues with logins there right?

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

£60 until December 2nd. I've completely fallen behind on console gaming in recent years. Not going to get a PS4 though with the PS5 set to come out next year. Then again I suppose there are pre-owned options no issues with logins there right?

If the console is factory reset then no there aren't any issues. In fact even if it isn't you can still set up a new account and just delete the old one. 

I've had great times with the PS4. I bought it primarily for VR back in 2016, but ended up playing a lot of really good non-VR games too. Plus there are a ton of older games from other systems that you can buy from the PS Store which run flawlessly. There's also the benefits of being able to watch YouTube, Prime, etc on the console which is great for me as I don't have a smart TV. 

The PS5 is probably still about a year away so there's still a bit of juice left in the current system (including the FF7 remake coming out in a few months) and I think there will probably be some really good deals on the PS4 this Christmas (likely the last holiday season where they're going to be pushing the PS4) so it might be worth keeping an eye out. 

I decided to treat myself to a Christmas present and ordered an N64 Everdrive. It's the only "classic" console (other than the Saturn) which I'm unable to play the majority of games on. I've got an Everdrive for the Mega Drive which has all of the Master System/MD library available to play, and modded NES/SNES/PS1 minis which have pretty much all the classic games available to play. N64 is a bit expensive to collect for, the games aren't that common and there's no mini on the horizon so I figured an Everdrive was the best option. 

I'm going to try and get on Shenmue shortly as well. I've got it on the Dreamcast but will probably play the PS4 port for simplicity's sake. Everyone says it's one of the best games ever so I'm looking forward to seeing what it has to offer. 

19 hours ago, DE. said:

I decided to treat myself to a Christmas present and ordered an N64 Everdrive. It's the only "classic" console (other than the Saturn) which I'm unable to play the majority of games on. I've got an Everdrive for the Mega Drive which has all of the Master System/MD library available to play, and modded NES/SNES/PS1 minis which have pretty much all the classic games available to play. N64 is a bit expensive to collect for, the games aren't that common and there's no mini on the horizon so I figured an Everdrive was the best option. 

I'm going to try and get on Shenmue shortly as well. I've got it on the Dreamcast but will probably play the PS4 port for simplicity's sake. Everyone says it's one of the best games ever so I'm looking forward to seeing what it has to offer. 

Whats an everdrive? 

Started Red dead. I like it a lot 

An Everdrive is basically a cartridge that fits into the original hardware. It uses an SD card to play ROMs. Because it's utilising the original hardware you don't have to worry about emulation glitches. 

On 19/12/2019 at 14:10, DE. said:

An Everdrive is basically a cartridge that fits into the original hardware. It uses an SD card to play ROMs. Because it's utilising the original hardware you don't have to worry about emulation glitches. 

Is there much setting up with it? Are the games on it when you buy it 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Is there much setting up with it? Are the games on it when you buy it 

You basically just have to install an OS onto an SD card, throw some ROMs onto it, put the SD card into the cartridge and you're good to go. The official Everdrives don't come with ROMs, you have to put them on yourself, but the chinese knockoffs normally do come with games preloaded on the SD cards that come with the Everdrive.

I noticed the FFVIII remaster is down to £10 on the PS Store so decided to pick that up as it's one of my favourite games of all time. I've heard mixed reviews about the remaster but at that price it's worth picking up. The N64 Everdrive arrived today as well so will be loading that up and seeing how it works.