Cocker

New Games/General Gaming

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

100%. They are doing many things I feared they would do.

I played a bit of the FF7 remaster last night. I'm just at the section early enough on when you get into Shinra tower looking for Aeris. One thing I noticed was that the dialogue was humerous at times, particularly Barrett. Kind of kookie. I think that is going to be gone.

I wanted it to be closer to the original FF7 than to FF15. I fear it will more closely resemble the latter in gameplay and tone. 

Yep I'm pretty sure all the quirks and silliness that are part of what makes FF7 so loved will be gone, replaced by a slick but largely soulless production. Barret's dialogue is basically just sound bytes from Mr T, but who cares? Everyone loves Mr T. Now granted I wouldn't be against a bit of a translation clean up as the original translation was adequate at best and often made no sense or mistranslated entire portions of the plot making the story impossible to follow. I'd be okay with those problems being fixed on the proviso the tone of the original is retained. In fact I'm sure there's a fan patch for the PC version that pretty much does this. 

21 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

100%. They are doing many things I feared they would do.

I played a bit of the FF7 remaster last night. I'm just at the section early enough on when you get into Shinra tower looking for Aeris. One thing I noticed was that the dialogue was humerous at times, particularly Barrett. Kind of kookie. I think that is going to be gone.

I wanted it to be closer to the original FF7 than to FF15. I fear it will more closely resemble the latter in gameplay and tone

All I wanted, when they announced the remake was basically FF7 with current gen graphics.

I think, they are trying to appeal to the next generation of gamers, as it seemed to be the case with 15. Pretty sure there is a screen when you start ff15 that says a final fantasy game for current and new fans. Seems like it appealed more to new fans than current ones.

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

All I wanted, when they announced the remake was basically FF7 with current gen graphics.

I think, they are trying to appeal to the next generation of gamers, as it seemed to be the case with 15. Pretty sure there is a screen when you start ff15 that says a final fantasy game for current and new fans. Seems like it appealed more to new fans than current ones.

I haven't been able to get into a FF game since 10, so the 'new' style definitely isn't for me. 

All I wanted from a FF7 remake was:

- next gen graphics
- a better translation and more effective telling of the story, which admittedly is a bit confusing in the original game

That's it. No storyline changes, no major gameplay changes - just some very minor tweaks to the original translation and upgraded graphics. The idea of the older gameplay not appealing to 'new' gamers is just nonsense to me. Persona 5 showed that the traditional turn-based combat system can still be utilised effectively and that game had huge sales. Granted P5's overall sales are probably half of FF15, but I don't think that's down to gameplay - it's just that Final Fantasy is a much bigger brand with a larger fanbase than the Persona series. 

Admittedly some of the FF7 minigames would probably need to be reimagined or removed for a new release as even in the original they are a little clunky and wouldn't work in the same way with modern consoles, and the world map section of the game would probably need a bit of a redesign as well, but these are minor tweaks. The battle system did not need to be overhauled and changed. Storyline elements did not need to be altered in any way. These are additional tasks Square has taken in which are, imo, totally unnecessary.

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

I haven't been able to get into a FF game since 10, so the 'new' style definitely isn't for me. 

All I wanted from a FF7 remake was:

- next gen graphics
- a better translation and more effective telling of the story, which admittedly is a bit confusing in the original game

That's it. No storyline changes, no major gameplay changes - just some very minor tweaks to the original translation and upgraded graphics. The idea of the older gameplay not appealing to 'new' gamers is just nonsense to me. Persona 5 showed that the traditional turn-based combat system can still be utilised effectively and that game had huge sales. Granted P5's overall sales are probably half of FF15, but I don't think that's down to gameplay - it's just that Final Fantasy is a much bigger brand with a larger fanbase than the Persona series. 

Admittedly some of the FF7 minigames would probably need to be reimagined or removed for a new release as even in the original they are a little clunky and wouldn't work in the same way with modern consoles, and the world map section of the game would probably need a bit of a redesign as well, but these are minor tweaks. The battle system did not need to be overhauled and changed. Storyline elements did not need to be altered in any way. These are additional tasks Square has taken in which are, imo, totally unnecessary.

Aye, not disagreeing with you.

It's not necessarily why they decided to overhaul the combat system on the later FF games and now the remake, just my thoughts. 

I still enjoy the turn based combat and I would have preferred them to keep that in the remake.

5 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Aye, not disagreeing with you.

It's not necessarily why they decided to overhaul the combat system on the later FF games and now the remake, just my thoughts. 

I still enjoy the turn based combat and I would have preferred them to keep that in the remake.

Sorry that wasn't aimed specifically at you, more a general reflection on the idea that FF7 needs to be revamped for modern sensibilities. 

I don't really care that they changed the combat system for new FF games. It's their prerogative and the games continue to sell in good numbers so if they want to do that then that's fine. Just because it doesn't appeal to me doesn't mean a lot of other people won't enjoy it, and they obviously do judging from FF15 sales so that's cool. I have other franchises I can go to if I need my old school JRPG fix. Hell, there's a ton of older JRPG games with the traditional combat systems that I've never played, so I'm not starving for new content in that regard.

Funnily enough I think implementing the 'new' combat system was probably just easier for them than reimagining the traditional turn-based system. They basically just lifted what they'd already done on FF15 and tweaked it a little, rather than designing a new system from scratch. I get it even though I don't like it. Potential storyline changes bother me a lot more than the battle mechanic.

The FFVII Remake opening has been released:

As expected the graphics look incredible.

Interesting to compare to the PS3 technical demo from the mid-2000s:

And let's throw in the OG intro for the nostalgia feels:

Edited by DE.

On 24/01/2020 at 10:40, K-Hod said:

Was probably announced ages ago, but I’ve only just spotted that there is a new Resident Evil 3 remake, so that will be getting purchased in April! 

Nemesis looks goofy and Jill looks like a man.