BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

• Backroom
Just now, Yoogo said:

Yeah, it's not really a game - more a hobby and something that needs patience and focus to enjoy! I considered buying a VR headset earlier in the year, but reviews seemed to be hit and miss, and the one I was considered was almost a grand, so I soon nipped that idea in the bud. Would love to try, though, as it can be awkward looking around a cockpit or out of a given window using the keypad.

PCVR is still very expensive so yeah, not something to buy just for the hell of it. PSVR is certainly a cheaper option if you have a PS4 but it's pretty much exclusively game based. There are some flying games/experiences but I don't think any of them would come close to a proper flight simulator. 

26 minutes ago, Yoogo said:

Yeah, it's not really a game - more a hobby and something that needs patience and focus to enjoy! I considered buying a VR headset earlier in the year, but reviews seemed to be hit and miss, and the one I was considered was almost a grand, so I soon nipped that idea in the bud. Would love to try, though, as it can be awkward looking around a cockpit or out of a given window using the keypad.

Amongst searching for contracts and job hunting, I'm doing my very own capital city challenge; flying to each of the major airports of every capital city in the world. The only problem is that some countries don't have airports. Not a huge problem in most cases, as I think there's enough space to land in front of the Pope's domed palace thing when I get the Vatican. ?

The oculus Quest is a decent option, you don't need an insane pc to run it on and its totally wireless but has the option of a wired link to a pc if you want to put better stuff on it.

About £400 I think.

https://www.oculus.com/quest/?locale=en_GB

• Moderation Lead

The campaign is tremendous so far. 
Really enjoying how you switch between a few characters, GTA style. Also, the part where you pilot drones and send them to take down helicopters was very well done.
I always make a point of doing the campaign first, before taking it online! Can’t wait to have a little blast at that though, seems loads of people are doing the same!

• Backroom
49 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Rift S - About 350 quid using the PC's hardware - Half Life - Alyx is incredible on it - and I'm a massive fan of Elite which in VR is miind blowing

I spent a lot of time on Elite using my Rift, it was an amazing experience for sure. Only problem was I couldn't work out how to be effective in combat. I'd always die in a few hits and nothing I did seemed to fix it. 

There was a cool little app I downloaded as well which allowed you to play YouTube, browse Facebook etc in the cockpit of your ship. On those looong trips to certain places it was great to be able to watch something. Although admittedly it's a lot more comfortable to just take the headset off and use the laptop/TV! 

• Backroom

I have to admit they've done an incredible job fleshing out Biggs, Wedge and Jessie in the FF7R. They were minor characters you didn't know much about in the original, but they're fully fleshed out main characters in this one. Good effort. 

• Backroom

Just beat Airbuster and fell down to the Sector 7 church. I'm starting to get used to and even appreciate the new battle engine. It's quite chaotic, especially during boss fights, but once you know what you're doing it's fine. 

It's incredible how much they've fleshed out the story so far. The slums are now huge, fully rendered areas rather than a screen with a smattering of houses and shops. They really focus on establishing who Avalanche are and you get much more insight into the members, as well as some added story elements which weren't there before. There's also a darts minigame which is kind of fun for a little while. 

Speaking of the story, it isn't exactly the same as the original. The core elements are all there, but the dialogue and certain scenes are shuffled around or changed entirely. Also some of the music is different (overworld theme is playing in the slums, for example). The bombing run to the Sector 5 reactor is now a full blown dungeon with a lot to do. Admittedly I found some of these annoying, and it felt like they were just trying to stretch out the time you were spending there rather than doing anything enjoyable.

The graphics though, just wow. There are times when I stop and just pan the camera around in appreciation. There are some stunning sights. 

One thing I will say it that whilst aesthetically the game does obviously borrow heavily from the original, it doesn't feel atmospherically (to me at least) like the original game. The colourful quirkiness of the original is replaced by a more gritty realism. I don't think there's any way to really avoid this with the updated engine and graphics, but it's noticeable regardless. 

On 20/03/2020 at 11:48, DE. said:

I don't have BOTW and also have no system to play it on (I don't own a Wii U or Switch) but ideally I'd like to play the games in chronological order if possible. Link to the Past and the N64 games in particular are supposed to be very good so I'll get around to playing them at some point. I've also got Windwaker on the Gamecube which I haven't played yet. 

Just a heads up to say there's some cables to connect those old consoles up to newer tvs, and for the Gamecube there's a much cheaper HDMI adapter.

UK company.

https://kaicolabs.com/

Plenty of fancy new peripherals for those old machines now too. Controllers, memory solutions, mods, etc.

• Backroom
On 13/04/2020 at 18:44, Bigdoggsteel said:

FF7 not available on Amazon currently...  

From what I heard they weren't even able to get a lot of their pre-orders out on time so that doesn't surprise me. I never pre-order from Amazon. ShopTo is my go to - always competitive in price and have always gotten stuff out to me really quick. They got P5R out to me 4 days before the release date, and apparently they were shipping FF7R out a week before release. I ordered from gamecollection instead as they were cheaper (and I didn't need it that quickly tbh) but most of the time I go with ShopTo.

On 13/04/2020 at 18:53, booth said:

Just a heads up to say there's some cables to connect those old consoles up to newer tvs, and for the Gamecube there's a much cheaper HDMI adapter.

UK company.

https://kaicolabs.com/

Plenty of fancy new peripherals for those old machines now too. Controllers, memory solutions, mods, etc.

Thanks, that's really useful. I wish there was more Saturn stuff available (in general) as it's one of the only older consoles that doesn't have a huge amount of mods available. 

Anybody on here play Football Manager 2020? On like my 5th new save with Rovers now, cannot seem to get us up, anyone had any success? If so could you post your tactics and give me any pointers about getting the best out of specific players, especially Dack!? On my latest save can't stop drawing, and feels like the game hates me at times the amount of last minute goals conceded and inexplicable mistakes/missed chances my teams have.

13 minutes ago, adrianbrfc said:

Anybody on here play Football Manager 2020? On like my 5th new save with Rovers now, cannot seem to get us up, anyone had any success? If so could you post your tactics and give me any pointers about getting the best out of specific players, especially Dack!? On my latest save can't stop drawing, and feels like the game hates me at times the amount of last minute goals conceded and inexplicable mistakes/missed chances my teams have.

Are you playing Armstrong up front in 4-2-3-1? I played control possession style. 

I have let Mowbray start the season but was sacked early in season. I was appointed as Manager after impressing during the interview stage. Played 7, won 5 and drew 2. My first game was Huddersfield at home. 

13 hours ago, adrianbrfc said:

Sounds pretty realistic!

• Like 4

On 16/04/2020 at 23:33, chaddyrovers said:

Are you playing Armstrong up front in 4-2-3-1? I played control possession style. 

I have let Mowbray start the season but was sacked early in season. I was appointed as Manager after impressing during the interview stage. Played 7, won 5 and drew 2. My first game was Huddersfield at home. 

No I play Armstrong left or right inverted winger or winger on attack, he’s my top scorer in February in that position.

He always delivers, can’t get Dack to perform though but he’s chipped in with some good assists, just not scoring anything like as much as he does IRL. 

I might be expecting too much too soon but see many screenshots of people who get us promoted or are in 3rd season and in the Champions League, just wonder how sometimes ?

9 hours ago, adrianbrfc said:

No I play Armstrong left or right inverted winger or winger on attack, he’s my top scorer in February in that position.

He always delivers, can’t get Dack to perform though but he’s chipped in with some good assists, just not scoring anything like as much as he does IRL. 

I might be expecting too much too soon but see many screenshots of people who get us promoted or are in 3rd season and in the Champions League, just wonder how sometimes ?

10 goals under me so far Armstrong. He is striker so I play him there. 

Dack has only 3 goals under me. I've dropped him sometimes. 

Did you follow the twitter link I provided? 

• Backroom
13 hours ago, adrianbrfc said:

Probably using a tactic from the SI forums ( https://community.sigames.com/ )

There are always tactics available there which effectively explot weaknesses in the match engine and make the game a lot easier. 

• Backroom

I got the tactic I'm using off the SI forums a few years ago, has always worked a charm.

YDZ3Gi9.jpg

Goes without saying due to the date all of the players are regens. I'm assuming the match engine has changed enough on FM20 to make a tactic like this unusable though.