BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ewood Park

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point was that if e ever felt the need to improve the riverside that, in my opinion, we would be better off looking into building an entirely new, but probably slightly smaller, stadium. I don't actually think that either should be done.

I think his point was that that wouldn't be something we would be better off doing at all. It would cost a lot more than just redeveloping one stand, and all just so that we could have a smaller stadium. Which would also leave us with a big problem if our attendances ever did get to a regular 28k or so. I know it seems highly unlikely now that they would, but it would be foolish to presume they won't. Population booms, success of the club, reduced ticket prices, things like that mean it isn't impossible at all. This club's record attendance is over 60k.

The only thing that's been suggested of merit must be the Riverside being re-rigged (as that is what would probably be required) to allow cameras so we look less like the nowhere town we're projected as.

*sits back and waits for Lancashire bloody United to get a mention again*

Are we going to have the Lancashire United debate again?

Please no....no....no.......!

IPB Image

As for the Riverside - it won't be redeveloped anytime soon. Whatever future ambitions the club had a decade or so ago are now firmly on the back-burner due to declining crowds and our own outlook which is rather short-term. There is a genuine fear that relegation would hit the club very hard and so funds are directed towards the team whenever possible, not renovating a stand (and ground) that is rarely full to the brim anyway.

i would agree with that also though i think the riverside doesn't have the facilities for a camera to be positioned there and i don't know if the stand is high enough for tv pictures?

I always compare our ground with St Andrews as they are basically identical. They have the cameras in the rubbish stand, although the facilities of the riverside may be the sticking point. It would make us look better though!

I always compare our ground with St Andrews as they are basically identical. They have the cameras in the rubbish stand, although the facilities of the riverside may be the sticking point. It would make us look better though!

Agree, it would look far better. Problem is that when the ground was re-developed the infrastructure for TV cameras was installed and it all runs from the Jack Walker stand. Re postioning cameras to the Riverside would be difficult and expensive.

i would agree with that also though i think the riverside doesn't have the facilities for a camera to be positioned there and i don't know if the stand is high enough for tv pictures?

At least the camera wouldn't be so bleedin' high up, the coverage would be much better. Our camera position in the JW is like the coverage we get from the Reebok, like watching from a bloody helicopter,

Re postioning cameras to the Riverside would be difficult and expensive.

Shouldn't think so, it's only a turret and a bit of cabling. Sky would look after the rest.

in this very media led world, we're often seen as such a tiny club & one of the big reasons must be that the camera's point to the riverside.

surely it wouldn't take much cash at all, to relocate the camera's to the riverside. The difference in how our club is 'perceived' could be enormous.

I know this is going over old ground...

Less than ten years ago Ewood was three quarters completely redeveloped. I don't think it takes anyone with a degree in economics to realise that the club is not going to demolish it and rebuild elsewhere.

And having a smattering of experience in planning law - there is now way on earth that Blackburn With Darwen BC would ever sanction the rebuilding of a new stadium anywhere else. Just look at the 20 year battle that Brighton & Hove Albion had to get themselves sorted (& they were shafted by their owners, we never were.)

I do like the idea of a nice little tower on top of The Riverside for the media. Cosy & warm and insulated with free pies & mushy peas and cups of tea and free Thwaites on draught. It would do wonders for our image

Nowt wrong with the Riverside. Sat there for yonks and wouldn't dream of moving anywhere else. Have tried the Jack Walker and the Family stand and frankly the view I have is second to none. Plus I get to see the three new stands so don't notice how odd the Riverside might look.

As for people leaving before the end of the match, don't tell me they don't in other parts of the ground, they just sneak out the back way. The ones who leave at the front of the Riverside aren't daft, they know they can still watch the match as they walk off. Many actually congregate at the end so they don't miss the finish.

So yes it would be nice to have four sides the same but it ain't gonna happen unless the population of Blackburn suddenly doubles.

I always compare our ground with St Andrews as they are basically identical. They have the cameras in the rubbish stand, although the facilities of the riverside may be the sticking point.

Which is the same at the Hawthorns down the road-cameras are on a stand even smaller and crapperer than the Riverside, but you don't hear people slagging their ground off.

You do not need a media suit in the riverside, only a platform for the camera men, all the pictures are relayed back to the control centre anyway, that can't be to expensive.

Its about time the Rovers management looked at this to promote a better image of the club.

You do not need a media suit in the riverside, only a platform for the camera men, all the pictures are relayed back to the control centre anyway, that can't be to expensive.

Its about time the Rovers management looked at this to promote a better image of the club.

My point previously, and Colin is actually a TV cameraman, cheeky monkey.

I wouldn't want the Riverside to be replaced, as mentioned earlier in this thread it is a sign of where we came from. I agree totally though that the camera's should operate from there facing the 3 larger, newer stands, it would definately give a better image of the club. Maybe they won't because the sun would be facing the camera's which would affect the picture??

And who would pay for the development?

If a hotel was built we may get some private/council investment, but Rovers would foot most of the bill. Personally, I'd rather see our money spent on the team.

Also with the hotel we've rather much missed out. When Bolton built theirs it was perfect because there wasn't anywhere else to stay around there and it has very quick and easy routes to elsewhere via the motorway junction and the train station. (althoug there is now a travelinn)

But at Rovers even if we did build a hotel we'd be competing with the starlodge which is attached to the Furnhurst and the travelinn at the new Darwen services.

Did anyone notice FC Copenhagens ground on TV last night.

Very similer design to Ewood Park but with the 4 corners filled in, unlike Ewoods badly designed gaping gaps in

the 4 corners.My point is fill in the gaps at Ewood, that will then improve the atmosphere 100%,thus turning

Ewood into an exciting place to be on matchday.

Within 3 seasons and with Mark Hughes still there, gates would increase by 5,000.

As easy as that folks.

Nowt wrong with the Riverside. Sat there for yonks and wouldn't dream of moving anywhere else. Have tried the Jack Walker and the Family stand and frankly the view I have is second to none. Plus I get to see the three new stands so don't notice how odd the Riverside might look.

As for people leaving before the end of the match, don't tell me they don't in other parts of the ground, they just sneak out the back way. The ones who leave at the front of the Riverside aren't daft, they know they can still watch the match as they walk off. Many actually congregate at the end so they don't miss the finish.

So yes it would be nice to have four sides the same but it ain't gonna happen unless the population of Blackburn suddenly doubles.

I am puzzled. Surely the population of Blackburn cant have fallen that much in the last 50 years. Back then it was not unusual to get attendances anywhere in high 30k's and for selected matches right up to the mid-50k's. I wonder why it has changed so much, considering we now have a Prem team playing lovely football and in Europe as well. There must be another reason; now what could it be? ;)

Very similer design to Ewood Park but with the 4 corners filled in, unlike Ewoods badly designed gaping gaps in

the 4 corners.My point is fill in the gaps at Ewood, that will then improve the atmosphere 100%,thus turning

Within 3 seasons and with Mark Hughes still there, gates would increase by 5,000.

As easy as that folks.

What about our lovely pitch? Surely you have seen how bad other teams pitches get when they have no gaps. eg Man Utd. We need wind coming from all directions to maintain the state of our pitch, not just from the riverside.

And personally i would rather see the money spent on a replacement for Tugay.

What about our lovely pitch? Surely you have seen how bad other teams pitches get when they have no gaps. eg Man Utd. We need wind coming from all directions to maintain the state of our pitch, not just from the riverside.

And personally i would rather see the money spent on a replacement for Tugay.

Give me a fantastic atmosphere and 5000 more fans to a snooker table pitch.Bothered.

Looks like I'm in the minority here.

The argument "would you rather have another player, or a new stand" will always be there. Fans will always want a new player first. Some time or other, rovers are going to have to replace the riverside.

Might as well start looking again for investment - now.

As easy as that folks.

Why would filling the corners improve the atmosphere?

Filling the DE / JW Stand corner would be pointless, it would just be segregation!

Give me a fantastic atmosphere and 5000 more fans to a snooker table pitch.Bothered.

Where would these extra fans come from. The moon. And if you sit in the riverside Mr Maureen, contemplate singing. That would make the atmosphere better. There's more atmosphere on the moon than in the riverside.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.