BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

In-form and hungry he'd be handy for anyone. Brilliant player, too bad he's never where he should be physically and mentally.

Good business by Rovers in the end.

52 goals in 142 matches for Rovers, that should make him the most prolific goalscorer we've had since Shearer, no? I think Cole managed about the same goals to games ratio, but with fewer games, and Bellamy obviously only played the one season.

Shearer was a great striker but the greatest ever if he went to Europe.....Jeez, that is rose coloured glasses. He is not even the greatest in PL history let alone what has come before throughout the globe....

I think there is definately a curse....

Shearer bottled and remained the "main man" at a lesser club, Neill, Sherwood, Benni, Freidel, RSC, Bentley, Warnock, Sutton, Bellamy etc NEVER refound the form they had at Rovers, trophies, armbands, eng reps means nothing when you never show the same form or quality that gave you the opportunity to leave in the first place.

That's a bit unfair. Shearer continued to be fantastic at Newcastle for years. It wasn't his fault that his time there was ruined by the incompetence of some of the managers that he had, the lack of quality in the rest of the squad and his own troubles with injuries. He is certainly in the discussion as the greatest all around forward of the modern era. It's not often that you see a forward who can truly do everything.

On top of it, he didn't really 'bottle' it. Walker refused to let him go to United, so he instead chose to go to the club that he had always supported. I personally applaud him for that. I wish that more players would look to fulfill their boyhood dreams rather than simply chase trophies and money. He wouldn't have gone there unless he had been pushed a bit, but he still ended up at what I think was the right place for him.

It's an insult to Shearer to even compare him to the likes of Neill, Sherwood or Warnock. Friedel is the only one who comes close as a player who really did reach the world class level.

Better the Henry, Klinsmann, Drogba, Cantona and Bergkamp? Equal with Cole, Zola, Rush, Owen, Fowler, Wright, RVN and Sheringham

Shearer wouldn't be competing with Cantona, Bergkamp, Zola or Henry. They'd be competing with each other to partner Shearer!

Shearer and Cantona would still be the dream strike force IMO

• Backroom

Paid him £1.5m to end his contract early :wacko: - great signing from them!!

Paid £1.5M to leave his club after failing to do what was asked of him in terms of basic fitness. Got to love football.

he could be handy for our remaining games

I know you're probably joking, but we couldn't sign him even if we wanted to. He can't join anyone until the next transfer window.

If he's lucky he might get a contract in Qatar or somewhere like that. If not I think we've probably seen the last of him.

Edited by LeChuck

I think its unfair to judge Shearer on his seasons after 1997. He sustained 2 massive ligament injuries in '92 and '97 that each would have ended most players careers, the second unfortunately finished off his pace and agility and made him a shadow of his former self. 1992-97 though he had everything and had them in abundance: pace, strength, heading, finishing off either foot, link-up play, crossing, aggression, penalties. I consider Shearer of 92-97 to be the second best striker of the modern era in world football (after Brazilian Ronaldo) and the best player to ever pull on a blue and white shirt. So he left to play for his boyhood club after we finished 6th (not before like some who jumped ship with Kenny), he outgrew us, what the could possibly be wrong with that? I find it very sad when Rovers fans talk about him with a lack of respect, if he's not a legend then nobody from that side should be.

On Benni, real shame. Great player, lousy attitude, but his goalscoring record at Rovers is something to be admired.

Edited by blue_and_white

I think its unfair to judge Shearer on his seasons after 1997. He sustained 2 massive ligament injuries in '92 and '97 that each would have ended most players careers, the second unfortunately finished off his pace and agility and made him a shadow of his former self. 1992-97 though he had everything and had them in abundance: pace, strength, heading, finishing off either foot, link-up play, crossing, aggression, penalties. I consider Shearer of 92-97 to be the second best striker of the modern era in world football (after Brazilian Ronaldo) and the best player to ever pull on a blue and white shirt. So he left to play for his boyhood club after we finished 6th (not before like some who jumped ship with Kenny), he outgrew us, what the could possibly be wrong with that? I find it very sad when Rovers fans talk about him with a lack of respect, if he's not a legend then nobody from that side should be.

On Benni, real shame. Great player, lousy attitude, but his goalscoring record at Rovers is something to be admired.

If we had to chose between RSC and Bennie macarthy to bring back to Rovers, the latter would have been better. Well he is out of contract, due to being released so could be signed. Sadly not enough time to get him fit enough. Sad that he has allowed himself to go the way he has done.

As much as Roque has a better attitude than Benni, the careers of Benni and Roque don't even compare.

He may have a better attitude than Bennie. But in hindsite Bennie would, in my view have been the better option.

He may have a better attitude than Bennie. But in hindsite Bennie would, in my view have been the better option.

Oh no, I was saying that Benni has had a much better career.

But Benni vs Roque now would be like choosing between a poke in the eye vs a kick in the balls.

I'd still probably go with Roque though, but I've never been a fan of his return.

If we had to chose between RSC and Bennie macarthy to bring back to Rovers, the latter would have been better. Well he is out of contract, due to being released so could be signed. Sadly not enough time to get him fit enough. Sad that he has allowed himself to go the way he has done.

This Benni McCarthy would not be a good signing for Rovers even in January. Great business to get any money at all for him.

Besides I thought players released mid season didn't become free agents until the next transfer window due to their registrations being with that club?

Good work Allardyce you mean. It's turned out getting 2.5m for him was the best bit of business since Hughes prised similar out of Palace for Shefki. :tu:

Getting rid of Benni was a masterstroke, no matter who did it, because our great form in the latter half of the season coincided with him leaving.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.