BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Charlton signed Bent for £2.5m rising to £3m from Ipswich some time ago. Pardew is rumoured to have rejected a £7m offer as inadequate this January.

That is true, but that was at a point when they were fighting to stay up and they knew they needed him in order to have a chance. I think he'll be available this summer for a reasonable price and he is a player we should look at. He scores all types of goals, has pace and works hard (which seems to be what most people think is most important about a striker). He's slightly overrated probably, but that doesn't make him a bad player, he's a very good one and he's only going to get better.

At 2.5 million they were fleeced. Bent is nothing but an average striker. I have seen nothing of his play at Charlton to make me think any different.

A ridiculous statement. He's scored 32 premier league goals in 68 starts for a club that has finished 13th and then 19th in the league. He's scored 13 goals this season despite missing two months through injury. The next highest scorer for Charlton has 3 goals.

£2.5 million has proved a bargain purchase for Charlton. We sold Shefki for that much !!!!

I'd love bent as Ewood but the price will be around the same mark that Everton paid for Andy Johnson, £8.5 million

Good article that, perhaps we can worry a bit less now. Did you see the moron posting the first comment on story?

"I wouldnt be at all bothered if McCarthy left, as long as we made a profit. Here are my reasons - you have to look beyond the goal tally. He might have scored 18 goals, but half where tap ins"

Perhaps the most stupid comment I've ever seen.

People are always so quick to point out that Benni hasn't got many assists, but it is often his vision that sets up a move that leads to a goal (for example to pass to Warnock yesterday or the backheel to MGP against Charlton). He doesn't get any statistical credit for this, but he makes a larger contribution to the side then just goals.

True but then again to cherry pick in the first place there has to be some cherries!

Benni would be off if a Champs League team came in for him. We just have to make sure that if that does happen then we have good ideas regarding some replacements.

Last summer we seemed to put too much store in recruiting Mido. This time around I hope there are a few options so nobody can string us along for six weeks of negotiations which they have no intention of allowing to reach a conclusion. We have been somewhat fortunate that other teams looked at Benni but none took the bait.

I can't really see any of the English teams in the Champs League wanting him though. Especially as without a clause we needn't have to give our star striker away on the cheap this summer. The likes of Bent and Berbatov are also proven in the top flight and are younger. Chelsea are linked with bigger fish such as David Villa and the rumours continue to persist regarding Torres to Man U and Tevez to Liverpool.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Good article that, perhaps we can worry a bit less now. Did you see the moron posting the first comment on story?

"I wouldnt be at all bothered if McCarthy left, as long as we made a profit. Here are my reasons - you have to look beyond the goal tally. He might have scored 18 goals, but half where tap ins"

Perhaps the most stupid comment I've ever seen.

Did you notice the posters name? "Chris", as in Chris Nonda.. Clearly he just wants to start every game ;)

If, as MH says in the LT article, the Sun has simply "cherry picked" quotes from an article in a Portugese newspaper, and Benni has not spoken to the Sun directly, but the Sun is claiming an "exclusive" from Benni, then surely both Benni and the Rovers have a cast iron case to sue the Sun for very considerable damages. How can the Sun possibly claim an exclusive interview with anybody if they have not spoken to them personally?

No, there is definitely something very fishy going on here. MH needs to get the truth out of Benni ASAP and if it is as claimed by MH in the LT, then both Rovers and Benni should be starting an action against the Sun for damages and a complete and full appology and retraction of the story in the Sun.

If, as MH says in the LT article, the Sun has simply "cherry picked" quotes from an article in a Portugese newspaper, and Benni has not spoken to the Sun directly, but the Sun is claiming an "exclusive" from Benni, then surely both Benni and the Rovers have a cast iron case to sue the Sun for very considerable damages. How can the Sun possibly claim an exclusive interview with anybody if they have not spoken to them personally?

No, there is definitely something very fishy going on here. MH needs to get the truth out of Benni ASAP and if it is as claimed by MH in the LT, then both Rovers and Benni should be starting an action against the Sun for damages and a complete and full appology and retraction of the story in the Sun.

c'mon fife, the sun print trash every day. readers want rumours - we have whole threads based on rumours - imagine if every player in question sued when there was a dodgy quote printed, Britain doesn't have enough solicitors! rumours are part and parcel of football.

I think it's known as " Flying a kite", you get one of your journo mates to release the rumour and wait and see what happens- Chelsea and co step in, it's your lucky day, if nothing happens you just deny all knowledge.

On Radio Lancs they had part of an interview with Jose; he acknowledged Benni as "another one of his sons" having worked with him for 2 years at Porto, he was delighted he was 2nd in the charts of Premiership strikers and when asked if Benni would be at Chelsea next year, JM seemed to say "no".

Latest Rovers Newsflash on SkySports : Benni : Future is in Club's Hands.

D'oh ! - Can't get the link to work... :unsure:

Thanks, tchocky!

Edited by percy

Link

This is exactly what I (we?) needed to hear. Only the most pessimistic among us can read between those lines, surely? Well played Benni.

Crikey, you're easily pleased, it's hardly an unequivocal declaration of intent to stay is it?

"I'll be playing my football here next season, or if not, somewhere else." :huh:

Going back to the original quotes if they were indeed from a Portugese paper it would seem as though he was "flying a kite" as someone said above in the hope of generating some interest. And made the common mistake a lot of foreign players seem to make of assuming it won't be picked up on over here.

If that was the case very naughty of the Sun to claim it was a direct interview with them and put a stronger slant on it though.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

I saw the interview on Skysports News and it didn't fill me with confidence that he will be with us next season. He didn't say that he wanted to stay with us and the only reason he would leave would be if the club wanted to sell him.

What is everyone worried about??? if he goes then so be it!! We'll get loads of cash to add to the put and when has MH ever let us down? I have complete faith in him to find an even better replacement. My biggest fear is if the club decide to cash in and MH decides he can take the club no further if have to sell the best players.

Radio Lancs ran an interview with Jose M regarding Benni and when asked if he would be going to Chelsea said NO! But went on to praise him and say he'd been the second best striker this season (after Drogba). Spoke to Benni last night at the player awards and he was not giving anything away, but how John Williams and Mark Hughes where talking up next season he is going nowhere! But 8 weeks is a long time for something to happen.

Papers say that José has asked the board to sign Benni, as he will also fall into the new Chelsea policy of not paying too much money.

No smoke without fire I think and all the denials in the world wont change the reports from going away.

I hope IF we do sell him, its for double figures and we buy TWO top quality strikers and one of them is Bellamy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.