BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Daily Mail an example of very very very bad journalism

<< McCarthy expected to start with Santa Cruz in Allardyce’s first game against Stoke last

Saturday but the Paraguayan was instead set to partner Jason Roberts before pulling

out with a calf injury. McCarthy went on to score twice to take his total to four goals in

three games. >>

As we all know - it was Mccarthy who partnered Roberts!

Keep on reading after the bold bit!!

It says that Santa Cruz had to pull out so McCarthy played instead.

The Mail are saying Benni wants out after being sustituted by Sam when on a hattrick against Stoke.

Well it is the Mail...

If Bennie has been saying he wants out of Rovers then he can expect a fine for - bad timming - as did RSC. Personally I think this story is a made up one by the mail. Sam would have told Bennie why he was substituted and I think Bennie is proffessional enough to have excepted Sam's reasoning.

The reality is that before the stoke game Bennie had not played that many games, Christmas fixtures coming up and sam would have wanted Bennie at his best - therefore it was right to substitute Bennie against stoke, even if it did cost Bennie a hat trick, Sam has to think of the team as a whole not just one player. So I think the mail are just stirring things against Rovers - as have other media also been doing. RSC, Warnock, maybe Macarthy wanted by other teams, just media stirings

You would have thought, with Benni having not played much under the Ince regime, that he would have been happy starting a game. I dont think Benni was unhappy about being substituted, but if he wants to leave because he didnt get his hattrick,then he must be an idiot.

Wow, thats very positive stuff. I'd still sell Santa though. When they are both at their best Benni is the better player, if playing with Roberts is what it takes to get the best out of him then thats what we should do.

Wow, thats very positive stuff. I'd still sell Santa though. When they are both at their best Benni is the better player, if playing with Roberts is what it takes to get the best out of him then thats what we should do.

I agree with T4E. £20m is too much to turn down for Roque and Benni is the better of the two players when on form. He makes things happen on his own and he usually puts away his chances. £20m could buy us another striker and maybe 2 quality midfield players (Right & Centre). Lets not forget we have Big Sam the bargain hunter at the helm now - Not League 2 Ince.

Nice words from Benni although based on his track record I do feel he is being a little hypocritical, I reckon he'd have his bags packed faster than most if one of the "big 4" or Citeh/Villa/Spurs/Newcastle came in for him.

Benni in the shape and form he was in against Citeh is a huge asset. Trouble is, does anyone have any real confidence he'll reproduce it week in week out?

I don't and I'm afraid I'm starting to have similar reservations about Roque. Thing is though in the Premiership you need players with real talent if you're going to make a decent fist of it, especially when you're playing the top sides.

Nice words from Benni although based on his track record I do feel he is being a little hypocritical, I reckon he'd have his bags packed faster than most if one of the "big 4" or Citeh/Villa/Spurs/Newcastle came in for him.

Benni in the shape and form he was in against Citeh is a huge asset. Trouble is, does anyone have any real confidence he'll reproduce it week in week out?

I don't and I'm afraid I'm starting to have similar reservations about Roque. Thing is though in the Premiership you need players with real talent if you're going to make a decent fist of it, especially when you're playing the top sides.

Last season i would have said no,but i think he has realised that he isn`t going to get a move to a big 4 club due to his age.I think now we will see the Benni of old and he will bang in quite a few goals between now and the end of the season.He has also shifted a fair bit of weight which will help his mobility no end,give him a few more games and hopefully we will start to get 90 minutes out of him on a regular basis.

Edited by bacup blue

Last season i would have said no,but i think he has realised that he isn`t going to get a move to a big 4 club due to his age.I think now we will see the Benni of old and he will bang in quite a few goals between now and the end of the season.He has also shifted a fair bit of weight which will help his mobility no end,give him a few more games and hopefully we will start to get 90 minutes out of him on a regular basis.

Hope you're right, and maybe he has matured to the point whereby he realises "only" drawing 30 kp.w. at a midtable Prem League side with a nice working environment (assuming we survive) isn't such a bad old gig after all.

I still find it hard to forgive him taking until Christmas to get fully fit though.

Yes but without Roque we do still have quality up front. However we do not on the right side...if ever Emerton got injured we really would be totally screwed.

Add to that a central midfield composed of sicknotes, mediocrities and a 38-year old despite the numbers we have there and we are struggling with other areas. In fact it shows the problems we have that the left-side is no longer considered a problem area despite Pedersen being such an anonymous figure there. To be fair he is showing signs of improvement however.

Selling your best players is not usually the way to go but when you have one is missing a load of games, does not look interested, keeps bleating to the press and will bring in top dollar now like perhaps never again then it seems best all round to sell and use whatever money we get to allow Sam to really stamp his mould on the team and influence those problem areas.

I can see why people are saying sell Santa, but January is so difficult to buy real quality, plus prices are over inflated (for buying a replacement). Especially when trying to buy a striker who can score goals at this level and who will be willing to come to a club in the bottom 3.

If it was the summer, I would say sell him because it suits all parties.

Edited by John

Knowing what little I do about Benni this sounds like we've got a press grippy on the players at long last. However Benni is something of a playboy and I doubt if his family are even in the area! I bet he doesn't know he's said it!

Yes but without Roque we do still have quality up front. However we do not on the right side...if ever Emerton got injured we really would be totally screwed.

Add to that a central midfield composed of sicknotes, mediocrities and a 38-year old despite the numbers we have there and we are struggling with other areas. In fact it shows the problems we have that the left-side is no longer considered a problem area despite Pedersen being such an anonymous figure there. To be fair he is showing signs of improvement however.

Selling your best players is not usually the way to go but when you have one is missing a load of games, does not look interested, keeps bleating to the press and will bring in top dollar now like perhaps never again then it seems best all round to sell and use whatever money we get to allow Sam to really stamp his mould on the team and influence those problem areas.

No but I'd put Roque out on the right. He's too big for most full backs - even good ones (see: Mr. P Evra earlier on in the year) and takes 2 players out of the opposing team. As long as Benni keeps scoring.

Roque stays.

Edited by The Prof.

Benni has always been a great man in front of the Press. If he had not been blessed with such enormous footballing talent he could be a PR man. However experience does tell us that there is quite a big gap between what he says to the camera and what he actually thinks and performs on the pitch. I hate being cynical but is hard to take his comments at face value.

That said there are a few things worth remembering:

1) He is now past 30 and it is concievable that he recognises he will not get a move to a CL club now, and that he actually does like Rovers as a team to play for.

2) He desperately wants to play for, and even captain, South Africa at their world cup. To do so will require being settled and scoring goals. Another move (more than likely sideways to Sunderland or Wigan or whoever) could undermine that.

3) Allardyce may well appeal to him as a manager. No way of knowing but it is possible.

4) From our point of view he is a player who has never relied on pace or physicality. There is absolutely no reason why he could not be a good (or even get better as a) player into his mid thirties. Like Tugay he relies on technique and cleverness, and these attributes do not fade as fast as pace and muscular strength. THe one big issue with this is that he does need to keep his shape, which is something he failed to do over last summer. I can see him being effective until he is 35.

He is a tough player to accomodate into a team due to his style, but with Jason doing the donkey work to make him effective he could go from strength to strength.

No but I'd put Roque out on the right. He's too big for most full backs - even good ones (see: Mr. P Evra earlier on in the year) and takes 2 players out of the opposing team. As long as Benni keeps scoring.

Roque stays.

Why would you want to put a wantaway striker on the wing when we could sell him and spend a quarter to a third of that on a right winger and more on boosting other weak areas of the team?

I do not know if Allardyce has earmarked Cruz for departure but he has not played since he made his "sinister" remarks, as Sam described them along with their timing, and it is not beyond reason to imagine that he may have played his last game for the club.

Whichever...if we get a good fee for him then no problem or if he decides to stay and give his all to the cause then that is great as well.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.