BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

• Backroom

Benni's a bit of a tub but i'd keep him here. Knows where the goal is and is a good option to have. Hopefully he can get a little fitter next season, and bag a few more crucial goals for us. :)

Knowing our luck if we combined the two it would be someone slow and overweight who can't finish :P

very true, but its always worth a try , i managed to blend my son (quite annoying) with my dog (very loyal and placid) it worked a treat !!

imagine a dog that can take himself for a walk and pick his own crap up!

but on the downside its virtually impossible to find an xbox in the shape of a bone!

Forgive my incoherant ramblings, in short i feel benni is a striker who can score and therefore i have all the time in the world for him as frustrating as he can be, pair him with the right man and watch him blossom, show him no love and watch him crumble. the oh so delicate mind of a footballer .

Edited by beerwins

Give Benni a chance and he will score.

Ramblings forgiven, I'm a huge Benni fan, give him a chance and he will score.

Its like an echo ha ha. Another goal for Benni today - 12 in total for the season. He's the reason we are not struggling like Hull, sunderland, boro etc. He is a natural goalscorer.

Just noticed that Cisse has managed 10 for the season too. Potential player maybe? He would add that bit of pace we lack.

I think Benni's being harshly treated by his own fans here. The biometrics comment by the manager was directed at Dunn was it not? I wasn't there (at the Q+A) so happy to be corrected.

Either way, Benni didn't look too porky when he was tearing around the pitch in the Wigan match. Or when we spoke to him from a distance of 3 feet at the BRDSC do.

His game has never been a Paul Dickov type of contribution. He conserves his energy and pops up to score important goals - lots of them. When he has to move fast, he does. When he has to deliver for the team - he does.

I do struggle to understand why people slag McCarthy. We'll never have another Shearer, so let's make the best of the best players we have??

I admire Benny's ability immensely but the thing that aggravates me is that he is wasting so much potential because of his lazy attitude and unwillingness to sweat blood for the team. Similarly with Berbatov. I sometimes wonder how their team mates react to them privately when they themselves are running themeselves into the ground for the cause week in week out?

Edited by thenodrog

As far as I can recall, whenever Berbotov's stats are shown, he has covered more ground than the United team's average. Berb is an extremely deceptive player- looks languid but is in fact extremely quick. All that drifting past people is done at very high pace.

Certainly Benni was playing too deep on several occasions against Portsmouth but given Grella's limited range of passing he needed to be behind or level with the midfielder in order to receve the ball. But otherwise Benni was absolutely superb yesterday and did a huge amount of tracking back saving the legs of the generally less mobile Samba.

I wouldn't quibble with Benni's MoM award.

As far as I can recall, whenever Berbotov's stats are shown, he has covered more ground than the United team's average. Berb is an extremely deceptive player- looks languid but is in fact extremely quick. All that drifting past people is done at very high pace.

Certainly Benni was playing too deep on several occasions against Portsmouth but given Grella's limited range of passing he needed to be behind or level with the midfielder in order to receve the ball. But otherwise Benni was absolutely superb yesterday and did a huge amount of tracking back saving the legs of the generally less mobile Samba.

I wouldn't quibble with Benni's MoM award.

I don't think we can afford Berbatov.:rolleyes:

Benni's goals - fat or not - have kept us up. Looks a different player in and around the box and with support and minimal service. People need to lay off him.. look at the list of costalots that have played more games, had more service and scored lots less.

Benni, when given the proper service from midfield, will score the goals. Its unfortunate that we dont seem to have much of a midfield, but with 12 goals you have to think that if we had a better midfield how many more he would have scored. Why get rid of him, if we cant replace him with somebody of equal or better ability.

I admire Benny's ability immensely but the thing that aggravates me is that he is wasting so much potential because of his lazy attitude and unwillingness to sweat blood for the team. Similarly with Berbatov. I sometimes wonder how their team mates react to them privately when they themselves are running themeselves into the ground for the cause week in week out?

If Benni had the work rate to match his ability he would never have been within 50 yards of Ewood's home Dressing Room.

If Benni had the work rate to match his ability he would never have been within 50 yards of Ewood's home Dressing Room.

Good point.

Philip... Nelsen, Samba and Tugay were comfortably in front of BM for MoM imo.

Good point.

Philip... Nelsen, Samba and Tugay were comfortably in front of BM for MoM imo.

And don't forget Givet, many superb and timely interceptions. A very cool headed player who thinks about where to pass it out of defence - he only hoofs it if need be.

I'm definitely a fan of his. Sam, sign him up quick!

Id disagree - only possibly Samba was ahead of Benni yesterday. Tugay was very poor early on and gave a number of passes away. Nelsen & Givet did what was asked of the, but not much was asked of them to be honest.

So it was Benni or Samba.

Guest Vinjay606

10 goals in the league is excellent for a player who has only completed 90 minutes in 4 league games this season. Only 14 league games has he played over 45 minutes.

10 goals in the league is excellent for a player who has only completed 90 minutes in 4 league games this season. Only 14 league games has he played over 45 minutes.

Really? If thats correct then thats a great return. See Vinjay - you can be useful afterall....

• 3 weeks later...
Benni McCarthy is considering his future at Blackburn Rovers.

The Sun says the South Africa striker is eyeing a move to Spain or Portugal.

But team-mate Roque Santa Cruz is also keen to leave, so Rovers may hang on to him for now.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/blackburn-st...l-return-246896

TribalFootball, yes, I know. Anyone have The Sun?

Having often been dropped for a centre half despite scoring some crucial goals I wouldn't entirely blame him if he is looking elsewhere now.

Best for both parts if he leaves. Was a great player and can still score from penalty spot. Doesn´t have any pace or good shot. And his wage is second highest Rovers ever paid I think. Only RSC gets better money.

He can go. He maybe our top scorer but I would have sold him last summer and I haven't changed my mind. Any pro who can't keep himself in shape does not deserve his contract, anything over what we paid and I'd take it. He's got all the talent in the world, its a pity the rest doesn't match up.

If sam says derb's only brings goals and nothing else I think this applies to Benni as well.

I still can't get over his body fat percentage this summer coming in at 20% + makes him obesse for a sedentry life style let alone a professional athelete, he must be able to eat 3 whoppers in one sitting.

A elite level pro should be coming in about 6-11%, personally I'd want him nearer 8%.

Elite athletes body fat percentage. Its not the be all and end all, but Benni had weight issues under Paul and then again under Sam.

I'm sure he looks like a lean mean fighting machine next to some of us, but we're not pro athletes, he is & the same scale is not used, it can't be their too active. 20% is the absolute maximum and I'm sorry but if your on £30K a week and you can't make the effort to maintain your end of the deal, you go in my books. As I said its a pity but he doesn't have the right attitude his last example was with the SA national team where he feigned injury to get out of his commitments, even our club came out and said we know nothing about it.

I admire Benni he's very talented, just not the complete package.

Edited by Majiball

Best for both parts if he leaves. Was a great player and can still score from penalty spot. Doesn´t have any pace or good shot. And his wage is second highest Rovers ever paid I think. Only RSC gets better money.

Can he? One could argue that his miss v Bolton cost 1.5m! :o But that would be unfair to blame such huge money loss on him alone when taking into account some of Roberts misses, Derbs abberation v City and JW appointing that dud Paul Ince in the first place.

It's worrying that our two most natural goal scorers are looking to leave. Roberts and Derbyshire are nowhere near prolific enough to rely on which means that we either need free-scoring midfielders (ha, if only) or a guaranteed 15-20 goaler. Where are we going to get one of those with our budget?

Despite his 'weight problems' Benni had a pretty good season, especially considering his use. Call him fat if you like, I don't where you get your figures from, call him lazy if you like, I'd like to see his stats because I think they might surprise, but he scores goals. Quite a few goals in fact. Lots of stats can be twisted or be unrepresentative but his goals and games stats are strong evidence of his usefulness and the contribution he makes to the team.

PL games 18 ( plus 10 as sub ) 10 goals

This would be pretty good for most teams but coming at a team who struggled all season and finished in 15th I'd say they were very good.

Cup games 2 ( plus 3 as sub ) 3 goals

All together 20 starts 13 subs 13 goals

Those stats don't lie.

On the other hand he isn't getting any younger and if we got a good offer and Sam thinks he can get better with that money, great.

But for all the Benni bashers out there, have a think about what contribution he made this season alone before you get on his back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.