BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

I just want to add my voice to the Benni must stay camp. IMHO he isn't as lazy as some people say, and there is a lot more to his game than just poaching. He can hold the ball up well, when played to feet, he can pass well and is probably the most skillful player we have. Sure he isn't the best at closing down the opposition but he worked fairly hard against City and made an impact against Utd. Whilst moving him on might give us room on the wage bill there are so many players I'd rather leave before him. Still at the end of the day you get the feeling Sam doesn't like him but it would a be shame if he let him go.

I wouldn't actually mind letting him go if we actually got a bit for him but, unfortunately, we're all too long in the teeth to know that even if we got a few mil. (which is unlikely), we wouldn't have a fraction of that to spend on a replacement.

http://www.kickoff.com/static/news/article.php?id=12000

Sorry it won't insert the link.

I assume thats benni's agent speaking but it would appear he's not the only one who wants out. They mention the loan and I have to say I hope its not true.

No surprise though is it? He has been trying to leave every time he has not been in the first team

No surprise though is it? He has been trying to leave every time he has not been in the first team

Not surprising that our best goalscorer wants to leave when he isn't even being given a chance? He's been our best striker under Allardyce. His goals when Allardyce first joined kept us up and even this year he's look pretty good whenever he's been given a chance. We have to keep him and he needs to play.

• Like 4

Maybe the agent talk will bring some interest and maybe some decent offers worth considering?

Suppose it all depends on where Sam see's Benni in our plans. Its a shame because he is a natural goalscorer that on his day is fantastic to watch. Unleash Benni against Pompey!!

Big mistake to lose Benni and keep Roberts. Especially when we will be losing Di Santo as well.

Benni scores goals, I know I've said it for a long time but if you play him he will score goals. He may not work hard for the team, or whatever Sam likes to call it, but at the end of the day strikers get paid a lot of money to score goals and he doesn't find it difficult.

The problem with Benni is that he doesnt run around like a headless chicken (see andrews) and because of that, people get on his back. If people realised what exactly he brings to the table (goals) then they would realise we need him and that he should be waaaaaaaaaay ahead of the likes of Jason Roberts!

• Like 1

Benni might not be the easiest of individuals to coach, but this smells a lot of Sam Allardyce to me. Benni don't run around and get stuck in like Kevin Davies or Di Santo, and in Allardyce's book that means that you're not going to play.

I guess it's the price we pay for having him as a manager.

Benni isn't a very good striker without support from a second striker - or ideally a quality midfielder or two aswell - and we haven't been playing 4-4-2 this season due to David Dunn and a horrible defensive record. Sam's said the same thing recently, Benni isn't a lone striker and that's why he doesn't play.

I think we'll see him more in November.

He's the best finisher in the club and if he or Jason Roberts were to find themselves one on one with the keeper, I know which one I would be backing to score. I understand why he hasn't been playing and I don't think that Dunn should be dropped to for him. Dunn is our most creative player and by playing just off Di Santo, he doesn't have the same amount of running to do if he were playing in the centre of midfield or on the left wing. I think this has allowed him to stay injury free so far this season. Preferably I would like to see a midfield on Dunn, Emerton, N'Zonzi and Reid, with Dunn having a free role from the left and the other three having the legs to cover the rest of the midfield. This would allow McCarthy to play more. With Di Santo probably going back to Chelsea, it's vital that we keep hold of Benni, because I don't want our only two strikers to be Kalinic and Roberts.

Preferably I would like to see a midfield on Dunn, Emerton, N'Zonzi and Reid, with Dunn having a free role from the left and the other three having the legs to cover the rest of the midfield.

I was thinking something similar, especially if Givet is playing at left back because we all know he's great defensively but won't venture forward much. If we played Emerton left-of-centre he would have the legs to cover that area if needs be as well.

Chimbonda Nelsen Samba Givet

............ N'Zonzi Emerton

.. Diouf .... McCarthy ... Dunn

................ Di Santo

Something like that? It's worth a try I think.

Id try this one out

--------------Robbo--------------

Chimy -- Samba -- Nelsen -- Givet

---Emerton----NZonzi----MGP-----

--------------Dunn--------------

--------Di Santo--McCarthy------

It gives us the ability to play both Benni & Di Santo + Dunn, it also allows us the 2 centre midfielders (Emerton & NZonzi), however would require us to get Emerton to also help on thr right, and have Chimbonda bombing forward to support him when on the attack - therefore effectively leaving 3 centre backs to defend any counter attacks.

McCarthys agent speaks out

It also says that Elrio will be looking to get away from Ewood in January as well.

I really don't want to see the back of Benni, he has more talent than most of our squad, and the money we get for him won't buy a better replacement :angry2:

Rob Moore is no longer Benni's agent. He was at the time McCarthy joined Rovers and has brokered deals for a lot of South Africans who have come over to England which is why he also mentions Van Heerden.

McCarthy is frustrated at not playing and I wouldn't blame him for wanting a move but Moore is not his spokesman.

• Like 2

if benni goes on loan to pompey i think it will be the final straw for me after 40 years.

As dramatic as that sounds, i think il do the same. Benni to Pompey on loan, with Andrews, Roberts and Reid staying makes me sick. Wtf is going?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

No its no surprise buts its the first time I've seen quotes even if they are from his agent?

Its the part about Van Heerden as well wanting out that surprises me. I thought he was one for the second half guess he's decided not to wait that long.

To put the record straight here, both Benni and Elrio want to be part of the world cup squad in South Africa. Elrio has always been part of the squad, but due to Sam doing his best to overlook him with nonsense about him having to bulk up 1st. Benni is still SA's best striker, and will want to impress Carlos Alberto Parreira. People on here think Benni should be defending, when he has always roamed up front, which looks as if he is lazy. He is our best goal scorer, and better than Roberts

• Downvote 1

Id try this one out

--------------Robbo--------------

Chimy -- Samba -- Nelsen -- Givet

---Emerton----NZonzi----MGP-----

--------------Dunn--------------

--------Di Santo--McCarthy------

It gives us the ability to play both Benni & Di Santo + Dunn, it also allows us the 2 centre midfielders (Emerton & NZonzi), however would require us to get Emerton to also help on thr right, and have Chimbonda bombing forward to support him when on the attack - therefore effectively leaving 3 centre backs to defend any counter attacks.

Robbo

Jacobsen Givet Samba Chimbonda

Emerton Nzonzi Diouf

Dunn

Benni Kalinic

cant help but feel we are a much poorer side without Benni, maybe it was my imagination but i felt that the last 10 mins of the united game we actually looked like we could cause them a problem imo Sam could do a lot worse than build the side round Benni

• Like 1

Extremely disappointed. Benni knows the Premiership, is a proven goalscorer is a flair player and God knows we need them. Sometimes you need to have "goal hangers" to get the job done. He goes and Di Santo goes and we are left with a meat and two veg line up that is predictable as it is one dimensional.

• Like 1

Not surprising that our best goalscorer wants to leave when he isn't even being given a chance? He's been our best striker under Allardyce. His goals when Allardyce first joined kept us up and even this year he's look pretty good whenever he's been given a chance. We have to keep him and he needs to play.

I don't really agree with that. He hasn't looked that good, easily pushed off the ball, drops too deep. As a lone striker he is awful. Under Allardyce and the lHughes last season he has looked poor the vast majortiy of the time.

However I do agree he has something to offer with another more mobile player alongisde to give him room - we have three more of those than we did last year (Di Santo, Kalinic and Hoilett). Personally I would be tempted to play 442 against Pompey if Dunn isn't looking too hot in training (seemed very lacklustre against Utd). Let Benni play, see what he can do. He did look good on Sat (although still massively overweight!).

If Dunni s playing well Benni will have to sit on the bench. Can't drop him, and not convinced we can play him central in a 442 midfield.

• Downvote 8

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.