BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Both Jason and Benni are prone to stand still and whinge when a move breaks down and are slow coming back on side, but there are times that Benni is caught off side when trying to pinch a few yards on the last defender.

The problem with this is that the midfield is just a split second slow in picking a pass. It is not a new problem as Andy Cole had the same issue when he was here.

The fact remains that our midfield is just not good enough. But to be fair if any of our midfielders were quick enough to supply that sort of pass they would be at a higher club than us.

I stand by what I said about Benni but I do appreciate your comment about the midfield. Everybody except the management have seen that weakness for years. Unfortunately we have now in addition developed a weakness up front.

It's a quandary. BM is the best and most natural striker that we have but he doesn't appear to be willing to even attempt to adapt his game for the benefit of the tactics and team.

True, but given his age and that hes still a saleable asset, then surely now is the time execute a move and turnaround the forwards. Heskey for MaCarthy would certainly suit Rovers right now.

Next on the outward bound list would surely have to be Roberts but for who thats for the management to show their worth.

Not on loan

The club wont allow Benni to leave on loan - however would consider a permanent sale if a replacement is available and the feee is acceptable.

I think he will get his chances in the next few weeks though..and prove to Sam he should be kept.

There are a couple of clubs in Spain on this case...and they are both talking about loans.

I think Benni could go on loan because nobody is going to buy him and Sam wants him off the wages.

At the moment the word is out to find two possible new strikers for January. Probably loans too. Somebody has to leave to pay for that.

PS. There is no way in the world that he is going to Portsmouth, by the way.

True, but given his age and that hes still a saleable asset, then surely now is the time execute a move and turnaround the forwards. Heskey for MaCarthy would certainly suit Rovers right now.

Next on the outward bound list would surely have to be Roberts but for who thats for the management to show their worth.

For once I agree with you JAL but unfortunately up to now the management have only too obviously shown their worth and the standard seems to be that you get back 25% of what you receive in transfer fees.

I stand by what I said about Benni but I do appreciate your comment about the midfield. Everybody except the management have seen that weakness for years. Unfortunately we have now in addition developed a weakness up front.

plus our defence is leaking goals so all three areas are weak.

There are a couple of clubs in Spain on this case...and they are both talking about loans.

I think Benni could go on loan because nobody is going to buy him and Sam wants him off the wages.

At the moment the word is out to find two possible new strikers for January. Probably loans too. Somebody has to leave to pay for that.

This does sound logical.

plus our defence is leaking goals so all three areas are weak.

I'm not AS concerned over the defence. I think that it is under undue pressure because of the weakness in midfield.

No Iceman he doesn't get caught offside from making runs. He gets caught offside because he is too slow and lazy to get back onside after an attack. There is an answer somewhere but it is not McCarthy. If he does not score you have played with ten men, much like playing with Andrews and perish the thought of having them both on the pitch at once.

Much better to give Kalinic a run to find out if he is ever going to make it. At 20 he will get better. McCarthy will only get fatter, slower and lazier.

You have some good points there, but none of them surpasses the obvious: McCarthy scores goals, and we can't afford to turn that down in our situation. If we had a more solid squad we could have got those goals/levelled out the difference some other way, bu we don't.

Just so long as we don't waste our time getting new midfielders in!

:tu:

You have some good points there, but none of them surpasses the obvious: McCarthy scores goals, and we can't afford to turn that down in our situation. If we had a more solid squad we could have got those goals/levelled out the difference some other way, bu we don't.

Your 4-4-1-1 system has worked out well in home games.

If McCarthy came in that would have to change because he can't play as the lone striker.

If you change the system it takes away from David Dunn, your most likely matchwinner this season.

Have a funny feeling Benni will stay on the bench to start on Saturday.

It's a possible, but his wages are huge - and Villa don't want to get rid just yet. If they did they would prefer a sale.

60-70k?

Who else are we talking about then? Whats happened with Janko & Zigic? They usually get linked to every team!!

60-70k?

Who else are we talking about then? Whats happened with Janko & Zigic? They usually get linked to every team!!

Zigic might want to see out the situation at Valencia, they may very well have to sell Villa in the next transfer window and that could be his big chance. Janko is however not so unlikely, his value should have dropped a bit by now.

Your 4-4-1-1 system has worked out well in home games.

If McCarthy came in that would have to change because he can't play as the lone striker.

If you change the system it takes away from David Dunn, your most likely matchwinner this season.

Have a funny feeling Benni will stay on the bench to start on Saturday.

I have all the time in the world for Dunny, but relying on him to carry a team for a whole season just isn't very smart.

With Benni on the pitch no one would have to carry the team and we would be much more likely to actually score.

• Like 1

60-70k?

A new role for Janko (more defending and link up play does not seem to have effected him to much 9 in 14 this term and been benched to boot earlier on in the season.

New role.

Could we afford another player who has no Prem experience not to mention the fee and they are currently sitting on top of their league.

What's your take on this AL-FARAJ guy Nicko, I assume he doesn't have any real money and acquired Pompey through his emergency £5m loan. I'm expecting them to have more money worries over the coming months, not a transfer pot to spend?

What's your take on this AL-FARAJ guy Nicko, I assume he doesn't have any real money and acquired Pompey through his emergency £5m loan. I'm expecting them to have more money worries over the coming months, not a transfer pot to spend?

The guy bought the club for £2 from Al-Fahim who bought it for £1.

It's very hard to take that club seriously.

The wages only got paid by a loan in September and were also paid by a new loan in October.

It is no way to run a club and the Premier League need to ask some questions here - and also about themselves and their Fit and Proper Persons test.

Pompey are trying to get rid of big earners as soon as possible, so taking on Benni is a non-starter for that reason. And there is no way Rovers would let him got to a rival, especially at the bottom of the table.

What absolute utter ######.

Please find me a striker for less than 10million who has consistantly scored 10goals plus each season in the premiership since he has been here. Add to that being in and out of the team at times due to tactics and managerial nightmares.

A luxery? What a striker who can score goals? Give me a freakin break.

If BFS flogs Benni because he doesn't fit into his 'tactics' (i use that term very loosely as i could have chose 11 players and told them to loose the past 3 away games), then we deserve all we get.

CANT UNDERSTAND THE NEG REP ON THIS?benni is quality .end of .roberts is like a prenant hippo,santo going back to chelsea.bring on lardarse kev.

heskey is a posh roberts...

• Like 2

Especially on instalments - all cash upfront or no deal. Do you know what strikers they are looking at.

I have all the time in the world for Dunny, but relying on him to carry a team for a whole season just isn't very smart.

With Benni on the pitch no one would have to carry the team and we would be much more likely to actually score.

Precisely. No one would carry the team. You can't play Benni on his own up front. You can't play Benni AND Dunny. Therefore you can't play benni.

• Downvote 2

of course you cant carry players ...ooops andrews.

you could play dunn behind the front two very easily it would bee like an extra man if no andrews.BENNI IS OUT AND OUT GOALSCORER...OK ALL THE HERBETS SAYING THIS AND THAT ABOUT HIM ...COULD YOU PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME HOW MANY GOALS OUR SUPER DUPER POTENT GOALMACHINESQUE STRIKERS HAVE SCORED ALL SEASON BETWEEN THEM ,BEAR IN MIND ITS NOW NOVEMBER.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

of course you cant carry players ...ooops andrews.

you could play dunn behind the front two very easily it would bee like an extra man if no andrews.BENNI IS OUT AND OUT GOALSCORER...OK ALL THE HERBETS SAYING THIS AND THAT ABOUT HIM ...COULD YOU PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME HOW MANY GOALS OUR SUPER DUPER POTENT GOALMACHINESQUE STRIKERS HAVE SCORED ALL SEASON BETWEEN THEM ,BEAR IN MIND ITS NOW NOVEMBER.

Scorers in all competitions

Dunn - 5

McCarthy, Pedersen - 2

Nzonzi, Salgado, Di Santo, Givet, Roberts, Reid, Kalinic, Diouf, Samba, Chimbonda, Holiett - 1

A bit worrying that our strikers have only scored 5 between them and 2 of thoose are from Benni's who's not played regularly.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.