BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Id rather Jason Roberts left 1st...at least Benni has the ability to take a chance

Without doubt, surely someone must fancy the football-less Drogba.

Get rid of them both. Too many past it and not good enough players in this squad.

Play the two kids together so at least we can go down fighting, bring Benni "Five Bellies" McCarthy from the bench if need be. I'd be keeping Benni getting him on the pitch late on when hopefully our two young ones have tired the CB's legs. Hopefully he could bag enough to make it to SA and play. I'd then sell after/during the world cup. Its pretty much a certainty the home nation will at least make the second round and hopefully Benni would be leading the line. A few goals at the world cup and you never know.

Couldn't agree more about Roberts though.

Its pretty much a certainty the home nation will at least make the second round and hopefully Benni would be leading the line. A few goals at the world cup and you never know.

I can't see SA getting out of a group with France, Mexico and Uruguay. Sout Africa are terrible at the moment, they didn't even qualify for the African Nations which has such football giants as Mozambique and Gabon in it!!

I think Benni is finished at this club, looks overweight and past it. Time to sell him and hopefully raise some funds to bring in a replacement, Kalinic is the future of this club but he needs a strike partner.

Agreed. And we need to offload Roberts. Maybe if we sell both Benni and Roberts, we could afford a decent partner for Kalinic. Roberts wages to finance the transfer fee and Benni's wages for the new striker's.

I can't see SA getting out of a group with France, Mexico and Uruguay. Sout Africa are terrible at the moment, they didn't even qualify for the African Nations which has such football giants as Mozambique and Gabon in it!!

No host team has ever not made the second round, so history is on their side. I think form goes out of the window with these sort of things.

Also don't forget having SA in for a couple of the later stages is worth good money to FIFA and as they proved with their seeding fiasco they have no issues bending rules for their own means.

Tell you what we can have a gentlemans wager on it?

If SA crash and burn I'll pay for dinner, if they progress you pay??

Benni seems to be trying to ease himself out of the door here, a "back spasm" in the warm up on Monday night and a ludicrous swipe at the Villa player last night that could quite easily have earned him a red card. I would even go so far as to say he looks like he is trying to persuade Sam to offload him for peanuts.

(Perhaps he wanted to go and watch the Africa Nations Cup as well with Diouf?)

Unfortunately I'm not sure he's going the right way about it. Probably more likely to have the opposite effect. A few goals would be more likely to endear him to potential suitors.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

It doesn't matter that he is out of shape.

The best players are often enigmas and Benni is just that. He can create out of nothing, having a few extra pounds isn't going to affect that.

Yes it is, hence two years ago he was a much better player and scored 24 goals.

Great stuff from him today, we give Dunny a little more leeway for his fitness problems so maybe Benni should get a little benefit of the doubt. I said before that Sam should stop this nonsense of half punishing him for not meeting fitness targets because it's only punishing the rest of the team. He either needs to play him and swallow his pride or show some proper discipline and move him on and declare him not available for selection in the meantime. (Not what I would do but sitting in the middle helps nobody)

The best example I can think of for a player that was lazy without the ball and struggled for match sharpness was Le Tiss and he wasn't such a bad player was he, ask Tim Flowers.

The argument that he was better three years ago is irrelevant (unless you have a time machine), the argument is whether he is good enough too play for us. Which he definitely is.

I disagree, 75% of the time his performances make him a liability.

One good performance doesn't change the last 6 months.

For now, I would keep him.

Whislt he can be inconsistent, he still has flair/class/quality, therefore he can be a match winner for us, and to replace that would cost a bit of cash.

Edited by John

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.