BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Think what you want. It appears that a number of senior first team players want away, even if McCarthy has been the most vocal about it (he has more at stake with the World Cup situation). He hasn't been so unfit as to be left out of the squad has he??

A better man manager would have got the maximum out of this talented player, using the World Cup situation positively to the benefit of Blackburn Rovers, rather than allowing a situation to develop where he might join a rival for whatever pittance they now choose to offer - and no doubt bag a hatful of goals for them to prove a point to his ex-manager.

Tugay, then Warnock, now maybe McCarthy, good players who didn't need to be forced out or sold. Rumblings that Dunn, Pedersen and Hoilett don't like what's happening.

There's a real fear for me that Allardyce's legacy will be a squad stripped of entertaining, talented footballers and it will take years to rebuild a Blackburn Rovers team worth paying to watch.

...anti Sam crap and you must be having a laugh mentioning the word entertainment in relation to the dross we are trying to get rid of.

Making rumours up about unrest with the senior players doesnt help matters either and you know its bollux too - look at the facts and dont listen to the ill informed or those with another agenda.

List of senior players stamping their little feet.

Roberts - being pushed (entertaining???)

Pederson - being pushed (entertaining???)

Diouf - Benni's bezzy mate and Bolton (frequent) drinking partner. (entertaining???)

Hoilett - Wants to be a striker (entertaining?? - can be)

Benni - being pushed (entertaining...bi-annually!)

Dunn - wants a long contract but Rovers worried about his fitness (entertaining?? - can be)

Warnock - we neded the cash

Tugay - can't play with a zimmer.

Anyone want to keep them??

Edited by Dufflite

But he gives (gave) us another dimension, and has been misused by a manager intent on relying on percentages rather than flair, in a season when he should have been given the platform to perform to his maximum.

And yet you supported Ince, who wasn't able to keep hold of players such as Friedel and Bentley. Once a player makes it his mission to leave, he'll leave. This can't be attributed to Sam's management skills.

I understand peoples frustration at Benni but why do people say 'look at his goal scoring record recently its going downhill" then follow it up by saying 'lets replace him with Beattie' i dont understand?, Beattie has never had a great goal scoring record. even when he has scored a few goals they all came in a quick spell then fizzled out again ( like when he scored 13 in 13 at S'ton). I think that 'swap' would be a mistake for the club.

Cos he'll no doubt be on a back hander to get BRFC to reduce the asking price.

Who can blame BRFC for not shelling out on transfer fees when this type of blackmail is permitted. As I've said before we should be top payers yet should pay no transfer fees whatsoever and offer short contracts to all but a very few.

This idea of yours Theno........you have dragged it out and run it past us all on numerous occasions, so as one who always thinks things through properly you must have an answer to this question:

How many top-half PL level players do you think we would have gained if the board had been allowed to follow your strategy and had actually done it over (let's say) the last 3 seasons? Obviously I mean players in addition to the few that we already have. I look forward to your answer with fully reasoned argument, but I won't be holding my breath.

Edited by Fife Rover

No of course he hasn't, and you won't find me defending him over this method of forcing a move.

But he gives (gave) us another dimension, and has been misused by a manager intent on relying on percentages rather than flair, in a season when he should have been given the platform to perform to his maximum.

You gain a little credibility back with admitting the first statement. You've lost so much over this particular incident because you've used this to bash Allardyce when he isn't at fault. He might have upset Benni but Benni's reaction (if it a reaction) is indefensible.

He gave us an option in his first season. He hasn't done since.

• Like 1

This idea of yours Theno........you have dragged it out and run it past us all on numerous occasions, so as one who always thinks things through properly you must have an answer to this question:

How many top-half PL level players do you think we would have gained if the board had been allowed to follow your strategy and had actually done it over (let's say) the last 3 seasons? Obviously I mean players in addition to the few that we already have. I look forward to your answer with fully reasoned argument, but I won't be holding my breath.

There is a clue in the term 'top payers' Fife. And we could be given the money that is being wasted on sick notes and n'er do wells. The few top players can have longer contracts if they agree to sign whilst newcomers must aspire to it.

Anyone acting like Benni can f**k off, disrespectful prick.

Need a replacement though.

John... and others. Knee jerk reactions are not the way forward in these matters. Gives licence to all.

List of senior players stamping their little feet.

Roberts - being pushed (entertaining???)

Pederson - being pushed (entertaining???)

Diouf - Benni's bezzy mate and Bolton (frequent) drinking partner. (entertaining???)

Hoilett - Wants to be a striker (entertaining?? - can be)

Benni - being pushed (entertaining...bi-annually!)

Dunn - wants a long contract but Rovers worried about his fitness (entertaining?? - can be)

Anyone want to keep them??

Anyone of them can be shown the door and I wouldn't shed a tear or worry an ounce over the future of the club. We can do as well as or better in the market, push comes to shove.

I purposefully deleted Tugay and Warnock from the list as both have always conducted themselves as professionals in regards to the Rovers. Don't have the slightest problem with them and wish more players would emulate their behaviors (minus Tugay's smoking).

The whole thing is pathetic. Does McCarthy really think he is control of the situation?

If we fail to agree a fee with West Ham, what odds a week later he's in the press apologising? He's got one last chance to play in a World Cup, one which so happens to be in his home country.

If he refuses to play for five months prior to it he's an absolute moron.

More of an angry reaction....

Which plays entirely into Gold and Sullivans hands.... although I'm not suggesting for a moment that anything we say on here will influence proceedings. If you rem we have to go on facebook to do that. :rolleyes:

BUT I'm not sure Benni cares too much for the SA team and the World Cup but if he does he cannot afford to carry on with this stance if we refuse to sell him. He'll resemble a tub of lard by May. The first to blink will decide the matter.

Personally and it's a shame but I don't think we can afford to take such a stance with him and he, his agent and the pearly kings will probably have guessed as much.

Anyone of them can be shown the door and I wouldn't shed a tear or worry an ounce over the future of the club. We can do as well as or better in the market, push comes to shove.

I purposefully deleted Tugay and Warnock from the list as both have always conducted themselves as professionals in regards to the Rovers. Don't have the slightest problem with them and wish more players would emulate their behaviors (minus Tugay's smoking).

imo Hoillett would be a big loss.

What market?? Accrington? Darwen?

Push comes to shove, this club needs to use what it has, and use it well. We can't afford a facelift - we can't even afford one new player.

• Like 2

The first to blink will decide the matter.

Sounds like West Ham have a few striking options, so not sure how much they will be willing to pay for Benni - I know they have money to spend now, but our reluctance to sell him could be more down to the fact we cannot replace him adequately.

Regardless of his attitude, which has been questionable for some/much of his time here, he is still our best finisher.

Looking at replacements, decent strikers usually cost big fees and wages too.

Edited by John

Push comes to shove, this club needs to use what it has, and use it well. We can't afford a facelift - we can't even afford one new player.

I think I'd rather descend to where we can compete finacially rather than cow tow to that soft lot of sick notes, has beens and never will be's Tris. I'll bet thay will be acting as agent provocateurs with the rest of the squad as we speak. Hoillett would be the big loss the others not so much at all. If dunn is with them it just shows how much our home spun hero cares about BRFC and I trust his stance will last long in the memories of people in this area. :unsure:

Looking at replacements, decent strikers usually cost big fees and wages too.

Can WHU really afford them then even with those two in charge?

Knee jerk reactions are not the way forward in these matters. Gives licence to all.

It is the natural reaction though.

The level headed fan would ask if there's enough goals in Roberts, Di Santo and Kalanic to see us safe this season, if Benni is moved out without a quality replacement.

• Like 1

I really don't see why it came to this. Coming into the window, we had a player with a good Premier League pedigree who wanted to leave and a manager who wanted to sell him and replace him - a win-win you would think. Now, with a week to go, the world knows we have a fat, lazy, out-of-form player on strike, which can hardly be pushing up the bidding price - everyone loses!

• Like 2

I really don't see why it came to this. Coming into the window, we had a player with a good Premier League pedigree who wanted to leave and a manager who wanted to sell him and replace him - a win-win you would think. Now, with a week to go, the world knows we have a fat, lazy, out-of-form player on strike, which can hardly be pushing up the bidding price - everyone loses!

Everyone except WHU who have nicely rocked a relegation rival's boat. Football's political dirty trick tactics are every bit as dirty as the ones in Westminster.

There is a clue in the term 'top payers' Fife. And we could be given the money that is being wasted on sick notes and n'er do wells. The few top players can have longer contracts if they agree to sign whilst newcomers must aspire to it.

When you say it like that Theno it all sounds so simple and reasonable. So let me ask you a few practical questions:

Assuming your idea was deemed acceptable by our board, and they try to implement it.....what do you think would happen next?

1) All our existing players would be in revolt except perhaps the one or two that actually qualify for a big pay rise. How would you deal with that situation?

2) The EPL and probably the FA, FIFA and the players union would all raise all kinds of objections (each for their own agenda) and it would almost certainly be forbidden. How would you get round that little set of problems?

3) Assuming all these diffficulties were resolved after several years discussion and the idea was given full approvals from all those bodies, and further assuming that Rovers were still a PL side you go about offering the new style contracts to all your players: But then you find that very few of your existing players would qualify for high wages and/or long contracts so you are faced again with all but one or two players that actually want to play for you. And meanwhile other PL clubs are having the same problems with all their players as well. So the upshot is that once again only the super rich clubs will be able to attract the best players and the existing hiearchy will prevail. Clubs like Rovers, Wigan, Burnley etc will be even more stuffed than they are now.

CUE: Lancashire Utd!!

imo Hoillett would be a big loss.

I agree. But first he has to have the desire to be a Rover. And while I would love to keep him, it seems a lost cause. So if he lacks the desire to be a Rover, he needs to be shown the door. In a very polite and professional manner of course.

I think our comparative financial weakness is overstated.

First, to the extent that we are "weak" its only in relation to the top 8-10 clubs. We aren't truly competing with the wages of ManU, ManC, etc. we're competing against Burnley, Hull, Wigan, Wolves, etc.

Second, with a sustainable wage bill of about 35 million (a guess on my part), we should afford some decent quality. Especially if we go for a mix of 'up and comers' and elder, experienced professionals who are only half a step off.

Third, Burnley is proving that a club can scrap by on the cheap (though I think they cut it too close and should have updgraded their qaulity a bit to avoid the battle they're in). Not every player need be paid 50k/week to put in a solid performance. In fact, paying a player that kind of money is just as likely to spoil him as motivate him, IMO. We need to find some solid footballers who want to play, want to play for the Rovers, and will put in a decent shift to justify their wage. We aren't getting a lot of that now. And the rot has been setting in for awhile.

Fourth, out problem is not locating affordable talent. Our problem is too many fat, lazy, arrogant, too full of themselves players who don't play often enough or well enough to justify their salaries. IMO, getting rid of them opens a lot more in the way of positive possibilities than risks.

The level headed fan would ask if there's enough goals in Roberts, Di Santo and Kalanic to see us safe this season, if Benni is moved out without a quality replacement.

I think Kalinic would do the job by himself, with proper service. Di Santo and Roberts only improve the odds.

I agree. But first he has to have the desire to be a Rover. And while I would love to keep him, it seems a lost cause.

On Holiett, the way Sam has been speaking recently suggests it may not be a lost cause (saying Olsson, Kalinic and Holiett were the future of the club).

The fact many of us would not blink an eye lid if some of our first teamers left says it all (about the worrying lack of quality throughout the squad).

I think Kalinic would do the job by himself, with proper service. Di Santo and Roberts only improve the odds.

He'll have the same service that's available now Smoss.

Kalanic - 0 goals

Di Santo - 1 goal

Roberts ? goals

That's enough?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.