BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

I do think that quality is more important than the position of the player at the moment. I'd much rather us bring in a quality winger (Ibricic?) than getting a Beattie-type striker just for the sake of numbers.

A quality winger could do DiSanto wonders. He'd get mostly headed goals I imagine. Another dimension added to the attack if we pull that off.

Sam's comments on SSN went something like this:

Allardyce- ' One or two things to iron out at West Ham's end. Should be complete within the next 48 hours'

Reporter- ' So it would be fair to say he won't feature on Saturday ?'

Allardyce- 'That would be fair, yes'

Cheers and good news, couldn't handle him scoring for them v us!

A quality winger could do DiSanto wonders. He'd get mostly headed goals I imagine. Another dimension added to the attack if we pull that off.

I know where you are coming from, Olsson has shown signs of an out and out winger, running to the bye-line and whipping the ball in instead of p!ssing about cutting inside or crossing an early ball to nobody. Diouf used to do it for Liverpool and Notlob.

I do think that quality is more important than the position of the player at the moment. I'd much rather us bring in a quality winger (Ibricic?) than getting a Beattie-type striker just for the sake of numbers.

A winger would be nice, Bentley would be ideal but it will never happen. Kalinic would be banging the goals in with Bentley putting the crosses in imo.

I'm just concerned that if Niko is out then it means we have to rely on Roberts or Franco. Roberts is an impact sub at best not a starter and there are a lot of question marks over Franco.

I'm just concerned that if Niko is out then it means we have to rely on Roberts or Franco. Roberts is an impact sub at best not a starter and there are a lot of question marks over Franco.

I admit it's not ideal, but it's so hard to sign anyone at this stage of the transfer window. I'd hate for us to panic buy a striker who will just end up eating up resources as their contract runs down. Ok I'll reword that...I'm terrified of signing Beattie on a 2 1/2 year deal.

McCarthy has been playing almost as an attacking midfielder anyway, so we do have Basturk as an extra body now. We went through a good run with Di Santo playing earlier on the in the season...hopefully he's just like Kalinic and needs a goal to set him on his way. The rest of his game is certainly good enough.

Edited by LeChuck

Sam Confirms that Benni set to complete West Ham transfer

Interestingly, Sam suggests that the money may not be used to bring in a forward but to strengthen another area of the team!

He said that on Radio Rovers after the Wigan game.

He also said, for the benefit of the Sam haters, that now we didn't need to go into the Wham game needing to win. We could sit back, stifle them, then try to nick one on the break.

He said that on Radio Rovers after the Wigan game.

He also said, for the benefit of the Sam haters, that now we didn't need to go into the Wham game needing to win. We could sit back, stifle them, then try to nick one on the break.

No he didn't Mr. Campbell. he said the pressure isn't on us to win. That could mean either what you say, or he could be playing games with Zola or (most likely) he was saying that we'll do our best but a loss is not a disaster (ie: no pressure).

Surprised to read some of the vitriol on this thread toward McCarthy. He played well for you, scored some important goals and helped to maintain your Prem Status. Now he wants to move for what he sees as a better opportunity, why would you begrudge him the chance to advance his career with a bigger club during the last few years he has playing football professionally?

Surprised to read some of the vitriol on this thread toward McCarthy. He played well for you, scored some important goals and helped to maintain your Prem Status. Now he wants to move for what he sees as a better opportunity, why would you begrudge him the chance to advance his career with a bigger club during the last few years he has playing football professionally?

People are more upset by the manner in which he's leaving. He couldn't reach his weight targets and then decided to abscond from training, which is disrespectful to his team-mates and the people who pay his wages.

i've disliked him for years and i'm excited to see him leave.

hardly massive vitriol in here compared to footy mad when judas left

Same could be said about Owen Coyle :rolleyes:

• Like 1

No he didn't Mr. Campbell. he said the pressure isn't on us to win. That could mean either what you say, or he could be playing games with Zola or (most likely) he was saying that we'll do our best but a loss is not a disaster (ie: no pressure).

Oi! He said we could go to Wham not needing to win.

A sad ending for me,should have been Roberts heading to barrow boy land not McCarthy.It does appear though that he burnt his bridges with Allardyce and there was no turning back...shame really.

I think he burned his bridges with the fans as well. There will be a large booing noise the next time Benni turns up at Ewood to play.

Let's be honest, Benni could be class when he wanted too, but when he didn't want to - he offered little. A motivated and fit Benni is a massive asset, but it's clear neither is the case. Since Sam can't get the best out of him, and Sam's going to be here for quite a while I think, Benni's a bit of a waste of resources.

In an ideal world, Benni would fulfil his undoubted talent and be the no 1 striker at rovers, banging in 10 goals and assits apiece each season from the hole position. Since that isn't going to happen, at least we will get some money for him and free up wages for the rebuilding project.

• Like 1

There will be a large booing noise the next time Benni turns up at Ewood to play.

It's more probable that I) West Ham has been relegated (and Benni's gone on strike), II) by the time of the fixture Benni has been released and gone to Spain or III) Benni's on strike.

Edited by budha

Nice wind-up longsider.

Presumably this is related to Coyle leaving? Some might say that as Rovers have finished above West Ham for about the last 8 seasons that they are hardly a "bigger club".

Unlike for example Bolton being a bigger club than Burnley. When was the last time Bolton finished below Burnley in the league? A while ago no doubt. Thanks to an Owen Coyle inspired win on Tuesday they are once again above you.

A sad ending for me,should have been Roberts heading to barrow boy land not McCarthy.It does appear though that he burnt his bridges with Allardyce and there was no turning back...shame really.

Why would West Ham want to spend 2 million and wages of 50k a week on Roberts? They aren't that daft.

Sad way for Benni to leave and it does sour things somewhat however he did also give his some excellent memories. Mainly of fancy flicks and back heels that were so tricky that they bamboozled our players never mind the opposition.

Getting shot of him for more or less what we paid for him 3 and a half years is not bad business.

Let's not get some old clogger in to replace him. Either invest in younger players or keep it to the summer. Kalinic, Roberts, Di Santo and Dunn/Hoilett if need be are fine for up front. It has been the lack of quality chances created that has led to such a poor return from our strikers.

Let's be honest, Benni could be class when he wanted too, but when he didn't want to - he offered little. A motivated and fit Benni is a massive asset, but it's clear neither is the case. .

I played cricket with Collis King the West Indian, on his day the best in the world, when he didnt feel like it, he couldnt be bothered, even went off with sunstroke at 68 degrees!!!! Some guys are like that!

Ha, good one Longsiders. :lol:

We're not bitter about Big Mac leaving, as skillful as he is it's a shame he's so selfish and not a team player.

The spammers will see the real Big Mac next season when he's pulling his puss.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.