BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

For me it's sad to see McCarthy leave in such acrimonious circumstances. Its been the same with other strikers recently, Bellamy, Santa Cruz, they all did well for us then moved on leaving the fans with a bitter taste.

If McCarthy had handled himself a bit better then he could have been due a good reception if West Ham play at ewood again.

52 goals in 140 matches isnt half bad for £2.5m. Good luck Benni and i'll remember the good times, particularly that goal against Arsenal

• Like 2

Great PR by Mr. Benedict.

He has always been good at that. Shame he does not live up to his billing. If I was a betting man I would say he is going to have a great end to the season, get eight or nine golas, go to World Cup, have an average time there, and then only get around 10 starts next term and score a couple of pens.

After that he will end up in Dubai or the like on a fat contract.

"This is a great club. The reason why I am happy that it has finally happened is because about five years ago I had a disappointing experience when I thought I was going to be a West Ham player until Porto pulled out and I had to go back.

"I would have loved this to be my first Premier League club, I went to Blackburn instead but West Ham kept on pursuing me and eventually I am here."

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20100201/mccarthy-a-happy-hammer_2236884_1951301

Good riddance Benni!

I understand your anger, he's treated rovers with zero respect, when he's been here for a number of years, drawing a no-doubt significant wage, whilst performaing fitfully, and noit always being fully fit!

However, I have to ask, am i the only person who couldn't care less? It's water off a duck's back, totally in accordance with the attitude of today's players who are just paid far too much for their endeavours.

We move on.

• Like 2

It is hard to care anymore. Yet another player leaves and saying he was playing for the fans etc.

Going on strike as well.

Been here before though haven't we? Ferguson, Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Bentley...all left under a cloud.

So as regards Benni going it is all a bit...meh.

Been there. Done that. Tons of times.

Modern football, eh?!? <_<

Modern football, eh?!? <_<

Too true. Some of the up and comings are going to get a wake up call on wages, I've just been watching an article on the PL and the credit crunch and like many suspected, too many are living beyond their means.

The top 4 are essentially bankrupt but also bankrolled, all being seen as "Too big to go under" . Almost everyone else though, is firmly in the world of loans.

I think we'll see 2 PL clubs go pop this season, probably as they go down, so they don't have to take the points hit next year when they try to get back up (So they can do it all again)

How many Championship clubs are also on the brink though?

I personally think that the vast majority of us have simply had enough of their attitude, arrogance, bling and conduct, on and off the field. Some of them are just dispicable characters (And we have one of them.) And we should tell them so. We should do more of what we did at home vs. City. 1 Greedy B***ard, there's on 2 Greedy B***ards, 3 Greedy B***ards... Your All Greedy B***ards LOL

Been here before though haven't we? Ferguson, Bellamy, Santa Cruz, Bentley...all left under a cloud.

Bit harsh on Bellamy. He negotiated a buy-out clause when he signed, everyone at the club knew the score. He didn't once bad mouth us in the press or kick up a fuss to get a move, in fact I'm sure he's only ever said good things.

For me it's sad to see McCarthy leave in such acrimonious circumstances. Its been the same with other strikers recently, Bellamy, Santa Cruz, they all did well for us then moved on leaving the fans with a bitter taste.

Thats cos they are top players and it was their desire to leave. There surely can be no bitter taste over the likes of Ward, Blake, Yorke, Yordi, Fowler etc etc who we actually chose to cut out of the club?

Twas ever thus.

Bit harsh on Bellamy. He negotiated a buy-out clause when he signed, everyone at the club knew the score. He didn't once bad mouth us in the press or kick up a fuss to get a move, in fact I'm sure he's only ever said good things.

I was thinking more the disappointment. After saying in an interview with the LET that he didn't have that clause in his contract it turned out he was lying and it did in fact exist. A difficult situation for him to be in but ultimately he would have been better to not answer the question than to say an outright lie.

I was thinking more the disappointment. After saying in an interview with the LET that he didn't have that clause in his contract it turned out he was lying and it did in fact exist. A difficult situation for him to be in but ultimately he would have been better to not answer the question than to say an outright lie.

Yup. Out of all the players who have left Ewood over the last six or seven years there are only three I hold a grudge against. Bellamy for lying (which is just unbelivably taking the p***) and Ferguson and McCarthy for refusing to train.

Cruz and Bentley while annoying largely conducted themselves within the boundaries of what is acceptable, even though they were knobs about it (the interviews they gave primarily). However they continued to train and let us negotiate big fees to compensate us.

I'd never have thought this but I really hope Big Mac scores a couple on his debut this weekend!

If he plays. Carlton Cole (if fully fit) is a definite starter...so it's a battle between fatty, Mido, Ilan, Franco, Nouble and Hines to partner him. I fancy Ilan out of that lot, followed by Mido if he's motivated.

If he plays. Carlton Cole (if fully fit) is a definite starter...so it's a battle between fatty, Mido, Ilan, Franco, Nouble and Hines to partner him. I fancy Ilan out of that lot, followed by Mido if he's motivated.

Is Ilan any good?

If I was Zola I would partner Benni with Cole. Cole would suit Benni perfectly.

I also remember McCarthy's advice to Santa Cruz when he was 'weighting up' a move to City. He said that the grass was not always greener on the other side, that BRFC was good club, count his blessing 'cos the fans love him - in short - stay. Shame he decided to revise his earlier opinion when the opportunity came his way.

8 - Benni McCarthy

Here's a choice between two possible scenarios. Scenario A: You wander through the remainder of a season on the fringes of a team managed by a blustering hoofball merchant. You are kept out of the team most weeks by Franco Di Santo (17 appearances, one goal) or Nikola Kalinic (15 appearances, one goal).

Scenario B: You earn about twice as much money at a club who, while involved in relegation set-to, arguably have better long-term prospects, and are managed by one of the most likeable men to walk the streets of London, and who recognises that a ball is round so it can be passed along the floor.

Tough call.

Edited by Rovers_Dan
  • Like 2

8 - Benni McCarthy

Here's a choice between two possible scenarios. Scenario A: You wander through the remainder of a season on the fringes of a team managed by a blustering hoofball merchant. You are kept out of the team most weeks by Franco Di Santo (17 appearances, one goal) or Nikola Kalinic (15 appearances, one goal).

Scenario B: You earn about twice as much money at a club who, while involved in relegation set-to, arguably have better long-term prospects, and are managed by one of the most likeable men to walk the streets of London, and who recognises that a ball is round so it can be passed along the floor.

Tough call.

It's amazing how differing people can have such different views. In my opinion, he's joined a club really struggling at the bottom of the premier league, in massive amounts of debt for their size, and are paying over the odds for a 32 year old fat footballer.

West Ham are gambling, and gambles don't only pay off!

It's amazing how differing people can have such different views. In my opinion, he's joined a club really struggling at the bottom of the premier league, in massive amounts of debt for their size, and are paying over the odds for a 32 year old fat footballer.

West Ham are gambling, and gambles don't only pay off!

Correct, there's only one winner with that deal and it's Rovers.

• Like 1

8 - Benni McCarthy

Tough call.

I dont think anyone here as any problems with Benni leaving, its how he conducted himself in order to leave which is the issue.

Benni's lack of effort when it came to getting himself fit over the course of the past 6/7 months and then his refusal to train so that he gave Sam absolutely no option but to get rid of him for any price, is the reason for why I, and many other Rovers fans find it hard to look back on Benni's time here with much fondness without it being tainted by his pathetic actions during January.

I dont want to hear boo's when/if he ever comes back to Ewood, but equally I dont want people to blame Allardyce or the club for selling him. He was a child to behave in the way he did and nobody can pretend that his attitude woudlnt have had a detrimental effect on the dressing room in the long run.

Should Sam have played him more? possibly. Should Benni have gotten himself fit in the first place? probably. Should Benni have refused to train in order to engineer a move to another football club? No. That is unforgiveable.

Overweight/unfit/lazy/frustrating whatever. He was an entertainer and I'll miss watching him. Like Tugay he stood apart from the rest and proved a diversion for us from the ordinary and the mundane. Giving us the opportunity to see such worldwide talent at Ewood Park is a privelige and lasting legacy of the Walker years.

But it was time for him to go and so thats that.

Word.

I would have LOVED him to stay, but he evidently wanted to leave and engineered his eventual move away from the club (and THAT's what got on my tits). However, I will recall fondly his goal against Arsenal and the many times where he won us vital points. His attitude stinks at times, but he was an awesome footballer. Should he play at Ewood again, I will gladly applaud a man who was arguably 2nd only to Tugay in terms of footballing ability. I wish Benni well, but if his heart wasn't in it, I didn't want him here.

I am happy that benni has gone and i hope he can rejuvinate his career. Lets face it he has not been the same for the last couple of seasons and I think his time had come. Lets hope Kalinic can provide a new source of goals for Rovers. I also think it is time that Jason Roberts moves on and Rovers search for another striker.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.